Images
    Country
    Singapore

cardinal tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    are those cardinal at lfs from wild or breed locally?

Feedback Score
    I have always thought that most of the cardinal tetras were imported wild from S.America as opposed to Neon tetras. This probably explains why a Cardinal costs at least 2.5 to 3 times a Neon. It is however interesting to note that both species are easily caught in their wild habitats throughout the year. Judging from this aspect, I would think that if the LFS will to sell a wild Neon, its price will be the same as a wild Cardinal. From another viewpoint, the higher price of a Cardinal could also be a matter of supply and demand, i.e. more people WTB Cardinal as it is more beautiful, its price will be higher; if price is higher, more people go for substitute (i.e. Neons); this will go on till a "price equilibrium" is struck. Hence, we see the common price of a Cardinal viz-a-viz a Neon as it is today in all the LFSes.

Feedback Score
    And also because the demand for Cardinals more often than not outstrips the supply. Local and SE Asian farms could not keep up with the demand therefore Cardinals are imported in huge quantities. This could also partly be due to the upsurge in the popularity of the planted tanks. A shoaling school of brightly coloured Cardinal Tetras in a planted tank is indeed a magnificent sight to behold. Who can resist their beauty?

Feedback Score
    However, what we do not like about wild imports especially for hugely popular species like the Cardinal tetra is the quarantining aspect. It is always a struggle for importers to properly quarantine such fishes before they put them out for sale because a quick and easy profit could be made if the demand is sooner satisfied. Unscrupulous importers may shortcut the quarantine process resulting in sick fishes. The bulk of such fishes will not survive very long. This is more often than not glossed over and compounded by bulk sale undertaken by importers. IMHO, it is always much better to get all our stocks from your friendly LFSes. They act as a level of safeguard and will always ensure that your fishes has already done their "time" in the "safe tanks." Besides that, they are a pressure group directly forcing the importers/wholesalers to supply well acclimatised and quarantined fishes. We as fishkeepers will then have less worries and will enjoy our hobby more.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From what i heard from Gan in the past is that neon tetras are successfully bred locally whereas cardinals cannot that's why it is much more expensive and that since they are caught from the wild they need to be quarantined and this treatment probably raised the cost of the fish.

Feedback Score
    Hi Lyh, ya lor, the cardinals are so expensive wish the local breeders can put in more effort to breed them and bring down their prices. I guess the effort is not worth it as by the time the farm bred Cardinals are ready for sale, the opportunity for the farms would have pass them by.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Where is a good place to buy healthy cardinals? Seaview?

Feedback Score
    I understand they sell Cardinals in bulk (from CATs advertisements) but I have not bought any from them. Maybe any Sises and Bros that have bought from them can give some feedback?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw Seaview selling L/XL sizes cardinals but can't remember the price. Does anyone know where can I get S size ones abt 50nos?
    Newbie in Aquatic Tank Setup....

Feedback Score
    hi yokogi, how's the condition of the Cardinals in Seaview?

You might wanna check out Gan Aquarium Fish Farm at Lot 180 Neo Tiew Lane 2 (Tel : 6861 2997), claims theirs imported from Brazil.

50 L-size for around $30 (can't really remember).

Feedback Score

Question

any feedback on the Cardinals' condition from Gan as well?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by iqfish
    hi yokogi, how's the condition of the Cardinals in Seaview?

I'm not expert eh. But they do look quite nice & comfortable to me, only too big for my liking.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy

Cardinals from Gan Aquarium are nice n big, colouration is good as well Unfortunately, my 40 XL Cardinals jus got wiped out by a Tetra Disease.... They were totally eradicated as i discovered the disease too late..... Now from 40 Cardinals + 20 Rummie Nose....i m down to 15 or so Rummies......so sad......
    ~Live Life; Dun Let Life Live U!~

Arclaveus' Online Album

Club Santa Fe Singapore

Visit my "Black Devil" at http://www.cardomain.com/id/arclaveus

I love my Aquatic Garden!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cardinals from Gan are very healthy but not adapted to huge water change. once i changed 30% water from my tank and about 30 out of 50 died. guess they have to be acclimatised slowly to the cholorine in our water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yokogi
    I saw Seaview selling L/XL sizes cardinals but can't remember the price. Does anyone know where can I get S size ones abt 50nos?
    hi yokogi,

yishun 934 is offering them at 10 for $7. i think that's the market price....
    i got mine from GAn last time, same price......

now wondering Y i travelled so far to such "ULU" place when i can get the same price in neighbourhood LFS

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But i want 100 leh...... if buy at farm, cheaper by 20c each ma. Today's Classified - SEAVIEW selling 100 for $50 (L) and $80 (XL).

where is selling S size cheepcheep?????

Borrow this thread - has anyone seen tetras like albino body with red eyes? I think they look quite nice too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wah 100, hmm that's a lot,

in this case Seaview would be a good choice,
    the tetras there are good, cos they got maintain their tanks.

also can get some less common Green tetras, look great.....

however my green tetras all died during an outbreak of ich

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, pricing from Seaview is quite competition.
    But have seen their sample, due to colouration it won't be my first choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iqfish
    I understand they sell Cardinals in bulk (from CATs advertisements) but I have not bought any from them. Maybe any Sises and Bros that have bought from them can give some feedback?

I HAVE BOUGHT FM GAN SOME YEARS AGO(ABT 3 YEARS AGO) AND I HAVE KEEP THEM IN A SMALL TANK. THEY HAVE GROWN TO ABT 2.5 CM LONG.

NOW I'M KEEPING THEM IN A 3 FT TANK.

FEW WEEKS AGO, MY FIRIEND BOUGHT FM SEAVIEW... SO FAR SO GOOD.. NO COMPLAIN FM HIM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast