Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

"Monster" Riparium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I really appreciate the lookout bro Guppendler! Thank you for looking around on my behalf. Good news is that I managed to source 2 more green bromeliads from another hobbyist (of which one is a huge mama plant). I am also close to getting my hands on a red bromeliad at a really affordable price. I will put up photos soon! Strange that you can't access the YouTube link. I will post another up in my next post.

I have been also venturing and reading up on orchids and sphagnum moss! Which I believe will be a great addition... do you have any experience with them?(:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnenrui; 20th Oct 2016 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: "Monster" Riparium

No worries I just happened to meet a Friend for lunch and orchid shopping there. I do collect and keep orchids by the way but not sphagnum moss. Orchids generally do not like their roots wet all the time, it will kill them. I had seen vivariums with mini orchids (mini dendrobiums) which are easier to keep and blooms fairly easily. Lighting need to be fairly strong to simulate sunlight. Mount the orchids onto driftwood that is not submerged and spray the orchids with diluted orchid fertilisers weekly. The entire plant and roots need to be covered by the spray as orchids absorb the fertilisers both from its roots and leaves. Every 2-3 day spray the orchid with just water without fertiliser the same manner. If you can keep the mini orchids going, you might want to try the more exotic Bornean Phalaenopsis.
    Last edited by Guppendler; 20th Oct 2016 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Guppendler, thank you for constantly replying and giving such great advice and suggestions. I have some updates!

I have a total of 3 green bromeliad, and I just added this red one.

Somehow the red one was potted with pretty long roots, about 4-5". I had to trim it and wash away the soil. Honestly I am not sure how unpotting it and mounting would affect this plant and the reddish color. Any advice?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No worries I enjoy seeing your progress and updates. Very nice additions you have now, where did you manage to get the red bromeliad? A good number of bromeliads are epiphytes and they do well mounted on drift woods. The roots do not like to be constantly wet. Too wet and the roots will rot and kill the plants. The roots also do not absorb much nutrients, it's more for anchoring the plants onto the surface that it is mounted on.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you can get a few more colored bromeliads other than green, it will help improve the look further. Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Guppendler View Post
    No worries I enjoy seeing your progress and updates. Very nice additions you have now, where did you manage to get the red bromeliad? A good number of bromeliads are epiphytes and they do well mounted on drift woods. The roots do not like to be constantly wet. Too wet and the roots will rot and kill the plants. The roots also do not absorb much nutrients, it's more for anchoring the plants onto the surface that it is mounted on.
    Thanks! I removed the cable which I previously used to mount the red bromeliad and used black string and moss to make it look more natural. I also replaced most of the creeper plant with moss. I supposed the moss will likely do well as the drift wood is moist all the time.

I tried to make sure the wood that the broms are mounted on are not constantly wet.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Guppendler View Post
    If you can get a few more colored bromeliads other than green, it will help improve the look further. Cheers
    I got the red bromeliad from Carousell. If you need, I can provide you with a link. I thought of orchid to be mount on the dry bare patch bog of wood as seen in the picture above.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Great idea in using the moss to conceal the strings. Now everything looks so natural

I would not need the Carousell link. I have not been visiting nurseries for quite a while, am sure more exotic varieties can be found there. In any case, Christmas is just round the corner, am sure Far East and such shops will be bringing in bromeliads soon

And yes, the bare patch on the huge log can be used to mount orchids. Looking for orchids will be a lesser challenge. Am looking forward to your next update. Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes! Very happy that everything is looking more natural now! What orchids do you recommend and what about miniature orchids? Haha... i wonder how would I be going about to mount the orchid. How do you mount/keep/grow your orchids?

Also, I have an opportunity to buy a misting system for $135 but I'm not too sure if I really need one right now. What do you think?

I am also thinking of replicating something like this..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I personally like Bornean Phalaenopsis but they are at least from $20 upwards. Mini dendrobiums are easier on the wallet from $7 onwards and they can be easily found. They are also very easy to grow and bloom.

just use strings to tie the orchids onto the driftwood and within 1-2 months the roots will anchor itself onto the wood.

The pictures you attached are awesome! I like the first one, very wild and natural.

A mister works better than a drip system in spreading moisture more evenly. Take care not to over mist as bromeliads and orchids will get fungal rots when it's constantly wet. By the way, do you have a ventilation system also?

Am eagerly looking forward to your next update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12