Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Swimming Behaviour

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My betta keeps swimming left and right at the front of the tank. He does this most of the time and only swim to the back to explore once in a while. However most of the time he is doing the former. Why is it doing this? I've googled this and it says could be itch but it does not seem to be rubbing against any decor or the side of the tank while swimming. And i doubt its swim bladder disorder as it does not display the symptoms

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Swimming Behaviour

Update: this one literally swims around the whole day! Not even once does he stop moving and rest at the bottom or on any ornament, except when at night lights out i did caught him resting which is good. I've read very contradicting posts about betta behaviour that bettas are not the most active fish and tend to just chill, and also posts that states a healthy happy betta is one that is very active. Dont know which is right or wrong so hoping someone can teach me a little bit about this. None of my previous bettas were THIS active where they swim around the whole day without resting so i really can't tell which betta that i'm raising is in good form.

Additional information. This super active one is a plakat which i learnt is more active than long fins like halfmoons since they dont have that big finnage to weigh them down, but is my plakat suppose to be THIS active? Even my previous giant plakats do rest at the bottom from time to time

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Swimming Behaviour

Yeah, plakats are generally alot more active compared to the longer fin varieties... i've kept both before and i do notice the difference too. The shorter fins on plakat bettas help them swim much more freely and faster with less energy. A healthy plakat betta should indeed be actively swimming around during daytime, if it sits at the bottom all day long it might be a sign something is wrong.

They will tend to slow down with age though, usually the younger ones will be very active, then as they grow older past 1-2 years they will start to become less and less active.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com