Feedback Score
    Country
    Lithuania

Large amount water heating

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello, i have many aquariums and i dont have hot water supplier, so i have to heat it up by my self. Could you tell me is it okey to heat water with heaters(boiler, gas, etc) that have copper piping in it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Large amount water heating

Quote Originally Posted by Ernis View Post
    Hello, i have many aquariums and i dont have hot water supplier, so i have to heat it up by my self. Could you tell me is it okey to heat water with heaters(boiler, gas, etc) that have copper piping in it?
    Hello Ernis, nice to have you in the forum.

As copper is known to be a toxic agent in an aquariums, it is best to avoid having it in contact with aquarium water. Since it is possible for copper to get into the water over a long period of time, it is best to ensure none is present. Hardy fish may be able to withstand, but more sensitive organisms like bacteria, snails, shrimps, etc may be killed by bad levels of copper in the water. But if the copper pipes are used briefly only for transferring water and thus not in contact with the water for prolonged periods, it should be harmless.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ernis View Post
    Hi brother, are you living in Singapore? I seldom heard people looking for heater instead of chiller here. What fish are you keeping? And why do you need hot water for? What temperature range are you looking at?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ernis is from Lithuania

Feedback Score
    Country
    Lithuania

Hello, like Guppendler said im from Lithuania. Sometimes we have very cold winters (-25C~), but problem is that I get +5C degree water from well, all year long. Im looking for active water heating, without electriticy, but im affraid of copper contamination. So far i saw some good idea's in closed recirculating systems (RAS). Atm im very busy at my work, so can't spend any time to complete my idea's. If i wont be very lazy i'll share some photos when i finish.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ernis!
    Welcome to the forum!!

We might not be able to help much as what we need here is how to cool our water and install chillers for our tank.
    Maybe you can visit your local fish shop or if there is, check out how seafood restaurant keep their water warm for the fish.

With my limited knowledge, all I can think of is to have a big barrel to store your well water and from there you heat up your water and then transfer to your tanks. Remember to insulate your pipes to keep the warmth during the transportation.

Another way is to install a heater in your fish room, so that whole room is warm and change water in small amount and top up the tank water slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am not sure if this will be any help, but over here there are hot water dispenser with Stainless Steel Heating Element (think kettle but oversized ones) however the issue will be transferring the water over to the individual tanks.
    But know what will be best for you else will be old school method of heater in tanks.

https://www.amazon.de/Aiicioo-Heatin...eating+element

Something along these lines?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ernis,

You may have already seen this, it is a DIY method for a cheap room heater to make.

See the video at the bottom of the page at http://dailyreckoning.com/4-ways-hea...t-electricity/

For more heating power, it may help if two or more of these devices are made and used at the same time. Cheers.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 21st Oct 2016 at 13:57.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Titanium coil could be the answer .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Lithuania

To skytan:

To heat only with electriticy i can use few 500w aquarium heaters(glass) connected to same temperature controller. In my calculations gas heater 16kw will cost me same as 4kw electricty. With gas heater i can make 4x times more hot water with same spent money.

To BFG:

Galvanic corosion will apear if diffrent metals are used. There is mostly copper piping in heaters(gas, oil, wood) because copper has very good heat transfer properties.(silver and gold are best ) But fish will not tolarate copper. So its best to DIY stainless steel heater, and connect to water storage tank with hot water circulation pump.

*Stainless should be 316L food grade.

To tetrakid :

My room is heated with electric heat pump. It have high SCOP rating. So i got 23C steady temperature. Problem is that i have cold water in well. It takes about 24hours to heat up to desired temperature. Heating is passive, water tank is left in same room where is 23C. To heat faster i need some active heating (gas, wood, oil and etc.) problem is that most of them have copper.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ernis , the titanium coil part is submerged in the water , the copper part joining to the titanium is above and away from the water . Try googling titanium coil .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.