Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 4th attempt on a planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    If none of your fish die, blindly follow auntie, you do not need this forum for any help except showcasing your tank...

If the other way, dont fall into the trap to be persuaded.

Heard a lot good about C328, didnt have chance to visit them.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SGDiscus View Post
    Hi there,

Congrats. It looks better. A few things you may wish to note:

1. If the plants start to melt (ie turn brown), it is likely because there are not enough CO2/carbon for the plants to photosynthesize. Sad to say, i think the low plants on the right will start to melt after a week or so as I think they are more demanding and need co2 but I hope i am wrong.
    2. If you start to see spots of green dots. That is the start of the green spot algae or green dust algae. It means either the light is too strong/bright or the lighting duration is too long. It happens also because there is not enough co2 for the plants to photosynthesize and in this case the algae take advantage.
    3. If you start to see black hairy algae (the dreaded Black Beard Algae - BBA), then it probably means too much nutrients (either from fish waste or from the soil) and not enough water changes.
    4. I did not spot any filter in your tank. Either you hide it very well or it is that small black device in the middle of your tank.
    5. Just to check, looks like the tank is in your bedroom. Do you have the air-con on during the night? Plants actually grow well at temp between 20 and 26 degrees.
    6. Do change your water once a week (at least 30 to 50%). But do note that the small cories (the small one on the left of the tank) that you have are more sensitive. So you will need to add anti-chlorine during water changes.
    7. You can add 1 or 2 otos, it will help against the algae but will not prevent it if your tank conditions are not right. Do note that otos are also quite sensitive to water conditions and do acclimatize them before adding into your tank.
    Dear @SGDiscus , thanks for your reply!
    1. Ohh no wonder! I have a few Anacharis plants in my tank, the leaves are falling off and they are turning brown! I was wondering why 🤔 , but seems that you were right!

2. Ok sure, no green spots but will still lower the lighting duration to take precaution. Currently on 6/7 hrs, will leave it to 6hrs.

3. Alright, noted with thanks!

4. Hahahaha, it is that small black device in the middle of the tank, that is correct.

5. Nope, the tank is in my garage, but quite sheltered, usually sunlight would pass through but not too much.

6. Ok sure, will change 30 to 50% of the water once a week, on a sunday. Those cories are dwarf cories, very very active!

7. Hm.. I have actually quite a number of fish in the tank though, 8 neons, 5 guppies, 4 dwarf cories and 4 rcs, will probably move the guppies or neons to the pond and replace them with 3 or 4 scarlett badis; and if possible 2 oto's? What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by madhav96001 View Post
    If none of your fish die, blindly follow auntie, you do not need this forum for any help except showcasing your tank...

If the other way, dont fall into the trap to be persuaded.

Heard a lot good about C328, didnt have chance to visit them.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk
    Dear madhav, this is the Xtreme chemical.

Btw, was thinking of removing the neons or guppies in the tank and replace them with 2 or 3 scarlett badis and 2 oto's? What do you think?
    This is what I am going to do with my tank:
    To remove the Anacharis at the back or whatever plants turning brown and replace them with low tech plants such as java fern and anubias?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't think there is a need to remove your neons and guppies. Just leave them there.

Scarlett badis while not expensive... can be tricky to keep. This is because the guppies and tetras will out compete them for food. Also your tank is quite sparse.. these guys like hiding spaces. I have two that survive on microbes . I don't ever see them touch the flakes. No harm trying.

Adding two otos should be sufficient for your tank size. These guys will feed on flakes to supplement what they graze.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SGDiscus View Post
    I don't think there is a need to remove your neons and guppies. Just leave them there.

Scarlett badis while not expensive... can be tricky to keep. This is because the guppies and tetras will out compete them for food. Also your tank is quite sparse.. these guys like hiding spaces. I have two that survive on microbes . I don't ever see them touch the flakes. No harm trying.

Adding two otos should be sufficient for your tank size. These guys will feed on flakes to supplement what they graze.
    Dear @SGDiscus , thanks for the reply. Maybe will try and get 2 scarlett badis's. Once I get algae, then I will get the Oto's. Will buy some pots or caves for the tank when u get the scarlett badis's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12