Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

4th attempt on a planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I just scaped this tank today. I am still an amateur at setting up planted tanks. It is a low maintenance tank with no co2. However, i intend on replacing the plants at the left side of the tank and planting more at the front of the aquarium. However, i have a few questions. This tank is now in the midst of the cycling process, is there any way to speed up the cycling process?Any plants to recommend that can grow well in these conditions that I can plant at the front of my tank? And what fish should I put in this tank? Any criticism is accepted, thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 4th attempt on a planted tank

Hi Bracehero,

Welcome to planted tanks! You have some 3 interesting pieces of rocks, 3 pieces of light wood/log and 1 piece of uniquely shaped drift wood. Not sure what is the dimension by looks to be about 60cm by 30cm by 30cm?

I think while waiting for the water to cycle, you can play around with the locations of the decor according to the following theme - U-shape layout, Triangle layout or island layout. You can check out this link - http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com...ng-perspectiv/

Another suggestion is to group all the rocks to one side and the one to the other side. You can also have the option of planting only one side and leaving the other side 'empty'.

One thing you need to take note of... as your tank is very new and your plants mass is minimum, you need to make sure your lighting period is not too long. I would suggest less than 6 hours. This is because the substrate you are using is rich in nutrients and with very little CO2, the plants will not be able absorb the nutrients and this will lead to algae issues.

Also have you decided on a fertilizing regime yet? That will help greatly reduce algae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello SGDiscus, thanks for your reply! My tank is a 9.5 gallon. Thanks for the link as well, maybe I will try out layouts and see how they look like before finally deciding the tank. However, most of the layouts have plants on the driftwood. Is there any way I can sort of "tie" the plants to the driftwood. And if it is possible, how do I do it? Hope to hear from you soon!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bracehero View Post
    Hello SGDiscus, thanks for your reply! My tank is a 9.5 gallon. Thanks for the link as well, maybe I will try out layouts and see how they look like before finally deciding the tank. However, most of the layouts have plants on the driftwood. Is there any way I can sort of "tie" the plants to the driftwood. And if it is possible, how do I do it? Hope to hear from you soon!

And btw, i do not intend on adding any fertilizer from now onwards. The soil that I am using at the moment is ANS Planta Soil.
    Quote Originally Posted by SGDiscus View Post
    Hi Bracehero,

Welcome to planted tanks! You have some 3 interesting pieces of rocks, 3 pieces of light wood/log and 1 piece of uniquely shaped drift wood. Not sure what is the dimension by looks to be about 60cm by 30cm by 30cm?

I think while waiting for the water to cycle, you can play around with the locations of the decor according to the following theme - U-shape layout, Triangle layout or island layout. You can check out this link - http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com...ng-perspectiv/

Another suggestion is to group all the rocks to one side and the one to the other side. You can also have the option of planting only one side and leaving the other side 'empty'.

One thing you need to take note of... as your tank is very new and your plants mass is minimum, you need to make sure your lighting period is not too long. I would suggest less than 6 hours. This is because the substrate you are using is rich in nutrients and with very little CO2, the plants will not be able absorb the nutrients and this will lead to algae issues.

Also have you decided on a fertilizing regime yet? That will help greatly reduce algae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A few points you may want to consider:

1. Some people use fishing line to tie the plants to the wood.
    2. Some people just 'stuff' or look for cracks in the wood/decor to hold it. (This one depends on the drift wood and size of the plants)
    3. Some people use super glue for java, moss and even buce (me).
    4. Depending on the plants that you use... you may get by with no fertiliser if you use simple plants like java ferns, water sprite, hydrillas and nanas. BUT you must still do water change if you have fishes/shrimps otherwise you will excess organics and then algae bloom.
    5. The soil will not be able to provide all the nutrients your plants need. Really depends on how particular you are on how your plant looks. I know some friends just change out their ferns every one or two months after they melted because the ferns are cheaper than their shrimps and they don't like to add fertiliser in case it kills their highly prized shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1. Ohh, I can also use sewing thread right? If not, I will use fishing line.
    And btw SGDiscus, looking at this tank, do you think rearing goldfish is a good idea? And how many?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes.. you can use sewing thread so long as you are comfortable with the look.

What kind of gold fish are you thinking of? I had them when I was starting out 30 years ago.... They are voracious feeders and produce alot of wastes. The wastes translate into ammonia then eventually nitrate and phosphate. If you don't change water regularly. .. you will get algae with the soil you are using.

I assume you have enough time to at least change water (50%) once a week and only feed once a day. Then i think 2 gold fish of no more than 5 to 8 cm. But they grow big very fast. There are some people who will say your tank is too small for goldfish because they grow big fast.

For me - if you feed minimally and keep up with water changes. Two will be ok. Do note that gold fish will nibble on your plants...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Alright, will use sewing thread then, since the moss will slowly cover it hahaha.
    Now that you have told me about goldfish, I think I will give it a miss. I was thinking of fantails or ranchu's, and maybe keeping 2? If not, probably fancy guppies. Any idea what fishes go well with guppies?
    I also will probably do a water change once a week, on a saturday preferrably?
    What do you think?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cardinal/Neon tetras, clown killies, lampeyes, white clouds are all good. But try not to keep so many different species as it will make your small tank look very cluttered.

Small cories like the habrosus, hastatus and pygmaeus are also good. Remember to keep at least 6 to 8 of them. Hardier ones like panda cories are also ok even though they grow up to 3 to 4 cm.

If you like guppies, pick one species (maybe 4) The choose one other species tetra (6 to and then 1 species of cory(6 to . That's about all that your tank can take.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SGDiscus View Post

If you like guppies, pick one species (maybe 4) The choose one other species tetra (6 to 8 ) and then 1 species of cory(6 to 8 ). That's about all that your tank can take.
    This should be your final list of live stock when you establish your plant mass and see some growth.
    around 10gal tank with rotting plants and this live stock is nothing but a chaos.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

the plants in the tank wont survive too long with out co2,
    so be careful with water changes and removing dead leaves and stems.
    if at all you want to purchase new plants, try Anubias and Java ferns first...

as mentioned, if you can resist the lighting hours and urge to add fish for the first two months, you can be a successful tank owner. good luck.
    keep the updates coming, with pics...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Madhav96001, now in the tank. I have 8 neons. 5 guppies and 4 dwarf cory's and a few cherry shrimp. I was given the 3 guppies and 2 cory's yesterday from a relative saying he couldnt keep them anymore. In the tank, I do not know the names of the plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Madhav96001, now in the tank. I have 8 neons. 5 guppies and 4 dwarf cory's and a few cherry shrimp. I was given the 3 guppies and 2 cory's yesterday from a relative saying he couldnt keep them anymore. In the tank, I do not know the names of the plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

started the tank on 10th October and you already stocked so heavily with live stock, tank is in the phase of ammonia, nitrites spike very soon.
    most if not all the fish will die if you continue...

please find a safe home for them NOW!!! offer them for free for someone who can take care properly till you get your tank cycled.
    change 50% of water every day till you find a new safe home for them.

feed sparingly...if you notice cloudy/milky water, that's the sign for a disaster.

dont spend on plants now...they wont survive without co2, select anubias/ferns if you want, even they don't look so fancy with out co2

if you do not have enough patience(for only once), this hobby is not for you.

keep updating...

Madhav

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

whats the tank size, filter and substrate?

see where you are....3-4 days, you are not in midst of cycling, you are at the beginning of the cycle. A loooong way to go.
    http://www.evalifeaquarium.com.au/images/cycle_1a.jpg

Madhav
    Last edited by madhav96001; 13th Oct 2016 at 21:27. Reason: added additional details..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bracehero, are you an engineer or engineering related by training? Your positioning of items os very logical and ordered. :-) I too, and am trying to make my tanks more "luan" and natural looking haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by madhav96001 View Post
    whats the tank size, filter and substrate?

see where you are....3-4 days, you are not in midst of cycling, you are at the beginning of the cycle. A loooong way to go.
    http://www.evalifeaquarium.com.au/images/cycle_1a.jpg

Madhav
    Dear madhav, dont worry about the cycling. The auntie at c328 gave me this Xtreme chemical to age the water to overcome the cycling process, and persuaded me to buy the fish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
    Bracehero, are you an engineer or engineering related by training? Your positioning of items os very logical and ordered. :-) I too, and am trying to make my tanks more "luan" and natural looking haha
    Hahahaha, thanks for your compliment Rachdanon. I am actually undertaking a diploma in chemical and biomolecular engineering at ngee ann 😂 . I just arranged the plants, driftwood and rocks according to their sizes from tallest to "shortest". But, i am probably going to replace the plants on the left and at the back with anubias and java fern )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there,

Congrats. It looks better. A few things you may wish to note:

1. If the plants start to melt (ie turn brown), it is likely because there are not enough CO2/carbon for the plants to photosynthesize. Sad to say, i think the low plants on the right will start to melt after a week or so as I think they are more demanding and need co2 but I hope i am wrong.
    2. If you start to see spots of green dots. That is the start of the green spot algae or green dust algae. It means either the light is too strong/bright or the lighting duration is too long. It happens also because there is not enough co2 for the plants to photosynthesize and in this case the algae take advantage.
    3. If you start to see black hairy algae (the dreaded Black Beard Algae - BBA), then it probably means too much nutrients (either from fish waste or from the soil) and not enough water changes.
    4. I did not spot any filter in your tank. Either you hide it very well or it is that small black device in the middle of your tank.
    5. Just to check, looks like the tank is in your bedroom. Do you have the air-con on during the night? Plants actually grow well at temp between 20 and 26 degrees.
    6. Do change your water once a week (at least 30 to 50%). But do note that the small cories (the small one on the left of the tank) that you have are more sensitive. So you will need to add anti-chlorine during water changes.
    7. You can add 1 or 2 otos, it will help against the algae but will not prevent it if your tank conditions are not right. Do note that otos are also quite sensitive to water conditions and do acclimatize them before adding into your tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dear madhav, dont worry about the cycling. The auntie at c328 gave me this Xtreme chemical to age the water to overcome the cycling process, and persuaded me to buy the fish.

Whats that extreme chemical?

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast