Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A newbie on a 2 ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    in this hobby, patience is the key, without patience, you will find yourself buying more and more useless stuff and home getting more and more pack and wallet hole getting bigger and bigger....

your tank looks good now..
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    some updates,

a few days ago I went over to that aquarium at yishun, saw that they are selling the uv sterilizer used by ivan choo.
    the staff told me to pick the 9w if buying as they say 13w is too powerful for 15 gallon.
    I bought the 9w uv at a reasonable price. my initial plan is to wait 2 weeks before getting 1 but I'm getting more and more impatient lol.

hooking up the system was a nightmare, the installation guide on the box had the o-ring place at the wrong place, I followed the instructions at ended up having a very leaky uv system. I thought faulty parts were to blame so I went back thinking of a replacement. the bro over there helped me check on it and told me the o-ring placement shown on the box was wrong and helped me assembled it.
    we did a test there to make sure there's no leakage before bringing it home. now to think of it, it's actually common sense lol

I had it hooked up on my right side, I put a piece of paper to prevent the light from shinning on the inlet pipe.
    so far it has been on for 48 hours, but I'm still having the familiar greenish color.....
    I did some searching on the net, some said it takes 4-5 days... I guess I have to be patient.

I did a 60% water change today as to help shorten the time for the uv to clear things up.

now it looks better, hopefully it can stay this way tomorrow.......

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@fireblade,

I wouldn't label it as useless if it works.
    I have been fighting green water since day 3, it's almost a month. Impatient might be one thing, but I'm more to desperate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

UV should be the good method to eliminate green algae as what I have read. I have not encountered it before so could not give you my case study advice. You have learnt along the way and that is what counts. I also never use Chiller for my tank. Cooling fan is sufficed for my tank, it is a bit noisy though.

After UV you still have a blackout method that haven't tried. I also read somewhere that people use diatom filter to clear the green algae. That is super fast method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    UV should be the good method to eliminate green algae as what I have read. I have not encountered it before so could not give you my case study advice. You have learnt along the way and that is what counts. I also never use Chiller for my tank. Cooling fan is sufficed for my tank, it is a bit noisy though.

After UV you still have a blackout method that haven't tried. I also read somewhere that people use diatom filter to clear the green algae. That is super fast method.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@jackychun,

ya from what I read the uv method should be effective and convenient.

but as much as I hate to admit, the uv doesn't work on my tank.
    on it for 4 days straight and no improvement.
    maybe it's the rate of the flow rate like what tetrakid said,
    or there's some direct sunlight like what fireblade said, just realize my wife likes to open the front door in the evening. some light do fall on my tank, not much and not strong but still direct.

I'm going to dismount it for now. I'm setting up the chiller this few days, once the chiller is up running it should decrease the flow rate by a bit more, then I'll mount it up and try again. if there is still no improvement after all this I would accept defeat gracefully and play the waiting game with the green water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

some updates,

I collected the 1/15 arctica chiller last night,

to be honest, chiller was not part of my purchase plan. it's good to have as my tank can hit up to 32 degree when fan is not on, but not necessary.

I happened to come across some posting selling the chiller,
    it's 1.5 years, used for saltwater, it's being serviced, ran in freshwater for a day before putting it in store room.

that day I jokingly offered $250 and he accepted it.....
    I was in doubt through out the day, I was afraid he was selling cheap because of some performance issues or faulty parts....

the feeling changed when I went over to his house, I was greeted by a well maintained high tech 4 feet marine tank at his doorstep..
    he is someone who knows how to take care of his equipment.

I'm doing the vinegar flushing method before setting up because it's used on a marine tank.

will update soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@simonyeeklang,

what's that?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

@simonyeeklang,

what's that?
    That is a cooler master casing fan on top my 2 feet tank connected to 12 volt power adaptor

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm
    some updates,

I collected the 1/15 arctica chiller... to be honest, chiller was not part of my purchase plan. it's good to have as my tank can hit up to 32 degree when fan is not on, but not necessary.
    As far as I know, chillers are only find of interest to those who rear shrimps.I have never heard of fishkeepers using chillers.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid,

Apparently it's too late to tell me that now brother

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid,

Apparently it's too late to tell me that now brother
    Can't blame you really, as I can see you are passionate about things. Not that it's a bad thing, but apparently you are taking on too much that you can handle. I would have done it by first mastering the basics of fishkeeping rather than try to emulate the creation of a sophisticated tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid,

Come on man, there's no need to be a party pooper on new year eve.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

jc, nice setup. dont worry too much on the green water, just take note UV dont switch on too long period.
    i precisely use Uv for my 5ft aro tank due to whole tank turn green....hahahah tank side face the sun, turn on 1hr per day continue for 1 week and it will clear.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid,

Come on man, there's no need to be a party pooper on new year eve.
    Please don't take it personally. I would have said the same to any newbie hobbyist too. By the way since you have already come this far, the next thing to.bear in mind is.not to spend a lot on costly fish until one is good at it. Adopting a positive attitude and treating all as feedback or free tips is best. Of course one is free to reject or brush off such tips as one feels fit. Nothing is personal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid,

I'm curious that when I ask for advices on the chiller, no advices is given by you even when you are in the thread responding to other issues, when I said the chiller is on reserve and I'm collecting it tomorrow, nothing is spoken by you regarding it. But when it is already at my house, to the point of no return, cold water suddenly came crashing down. Maybe I'm being over sensitive and I apologize for that, but I'm feeling that everyone here were trying their best pushing me forward but your comments always makes me doubt my own ability and decisions.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid,

I'm curious that when I ask for advices on the chiller, no advices is given by you even when you are in the thread responding to other issues, when I said the chiller is on reserve and I'm collecting it tomorrow, nothing is spoken by you regarding it. But when it is already at my house, to the point of no return, cold water suddenly came crashing down. Maybe I'm being over sensitive and I apologize for that, but I'm feeling that everyone here were trying their best pushing me forward but your comments always makes me doubt my own ability and decisions.
    There's no way for me to know that you are not having shrimps in mind, epecially now that so many people are into shrimps. Furthermore. I strictly avoid shrimp discussions, as I only feed any shrimps to my Lohan/Pacu fish. It is only when you indicated you intend to keep the chiller that I knew otherwise. Anyway, there's a possibility that you will be into shrimps in future, who knows.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid,
    I had been out drinking for the whole afternoon yesterday, must have misinterpreted your comments to a different meaning causing something to trigger. I sincerely apologize for that. No hard feelings.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid,
    I had been out drinking for the whole afternoon yesterday, must have misinterpreted your comments to a different meaning causing something to trigger. I sincerely apologize for that. No hard feelings.
    @j.c.koh

No worries, no problem at all.

I understand your enthusiasm in getting things done quickly,

Actually, what I always drive at is that in this hobby, it is important to first master the fundamentals, thus making things easier to tackle. In these stressful days when there,'s so little time to get things done, it is good to make things simple rather than complicated. Thus, the simpler a tank is, the more pleasure one can derive from the hobby.

A simple tank is one which needs minimal maintenance. All fish need is clean water to thrive, and to achieve this, there's nothing better than good old aged water (without chemicals).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Aquarium hobby is not instant noodle it takes time to read, understand, and time to be patience buying so many things and trying to up other people tracks is not a good attitude, behaviour and mentality but take the time and patience is!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by simonyeeklang View Post
    Aquarium hobby is not instant noodle it takes time to read, understand, and time to be patience buying so many things and trying to up other people tracks is not a good attitude, behaviour and mentality but take the time and patience is!
    LOL,... I like shifu your example of instant noodle.

You are so right. This hobby is not easy, though it is easy to buy many things and many fish.

When I advise beginners to first start with a $2 packet of mixed guppies or platys, they think I am insulting them and they brush my suggestion aside. Actually I am very serious about that. If a hobbyist can manage to keep the fish surviving and healthy for at least six months, then it shows that he has gained some experience. But usually the fish will not manage to survive that long.

Now if I buy a packet of mixed platys, I can keep them for one year or more. My favourite fish is platys. Sometimes in a mixed packet, one can find one or two good specimens suitable for breeding too.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast