Country
    Singapore

Re: A newbie on a 2 ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    @schwip,

I went over to read on your journal yesterday, one thing I must say, your driftwood is breathtaking. I really envy you.

patient is one of my weak point, I think my mc growing fast is the result of me blasting the fertilizer on full dosage since day 1, the consequences is me having green water until now. To think back, I'm being lucky to have just green water and not other nasties. If I can redo it again I would have be more patient. Hang in there, you'll get there soon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

It can be seen the MC carpet has been growing very well bro! It makes me want to rescape my tank. Lol. Hope your shrimp community will develop soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    @schwip,

I went over to read on your journal yesterday, one thing I must say, your driftwood is breathtaking. I really envy you.

patient is one of my weak point, I think my mc growing fast is the result of me blasting the fertilizer on full dosage since day 1, the consequences is me having green water until now. To think back, I'm being lucky to have just green water and not other nasties. If I can redo it again I would have be more patient. Hang in there, you'll get there soon.
    Hey I think we both spoke too soon xD. My hands got itchy when I saw a pot of monte carlo at LfS... tried to plant and ended up uprooting a lot of my established monte carloes.

Replanted but... sigh... I feel like I set back my progress... a lot of them now have some of the roots exposed. Will that be an issue? I would say majority of the roots are place reasonably deep into the substrate though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@schwip,

I think leave the exposed roots be, when they start spreading the roots will make their way down to the substrate.

lol your incident gave me flashbacks, truth be told I was sort of there before....

That was when my mc showed signs of spreading, can't remember how many days into the set up.
    some stems on the mc grew roots and was spreading across all directions slowly. VERY SLOWLY.
    they spread at a dreadful speed during that stage like 1/2 cm in 5 days.
    Then 1 day when reaching home I decided to mess with nature.

I was thinking: since they are moving so slowly, why not help them speed up the process? the roots are trying to reach for the substrate why not push them down into it to save their energy? they will thank you by growing faster. and thus the domino effect.

the mc isn't that well established yet, one gentle shake causes the whole piece to pop out.
    realizing my mistake I though of planting that piece back and abort the mission.
    when planting that piece back I might have shaken the substrate a bit causing 2 neighboring pieces to uproot, then every attempt to plant a mc back causes it's neighbor to uproot.
    after everything is over I estimated about 1/3 of my mc had been disturbed by me.
    do not mess with them until you are sure they are well rooted.

the good news is, it may not be such a good deal.
    base on my observation on my tank, those mc that I uprooted were able to keep up with the grow speed to those that were untouched at the later stage.
    so dont worry too much.

once the mc is rooting well on the substrate and shows signs of spreading you can give it a little trim.
    don't go crazy on it, just a little on top of each piece, it will trigger the hydra effect, they will spread nicer and thicker.

good luck!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A substrate is not like garden soil, it is more like a low 'sandcastle' which easily disintegrates when tampered with, unlike garden or pot soil which is solidly stable. This aspect is commonly overlooked by aquarium hobbyists. Thus, after the initial setup, it is best never to disturb it or attempt to modify the layout.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks tetrakid, I'm learning this in hindsight.

On that note though, by roots exposed I also mean that a stem looking but white portion of the plant is exposed. Will this remain a root part and should I hope it sends out stems from it or will it just remain that way unless I bury deeper?

@j.c.koh I will give it a trim when the dust settles hahaha. Thanks for sharing your experience too... appreciate!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I disagreed with never to disturb the substrate after the initial setup. From my experience, aquasoil or aquarium soil will not disintegrate that fast. Many aquatic hobbyist do replace their plants after the cycling period.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I guess my mistake was not draining most of the water to reduce the chances of plants popping out? I wasn't expecting a need to hahaha, and had been planting little planlets here and there without any problem before.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

PP
    Quote Originally Posted by schwip View Post
    Thanks tetrakid, I'm learning this in hindsight.

On that note though, by roots exposed I also mean that a stem looking but white portion of the plant is exposed. Will this remain a root part and should I hope it sends out stems from it or will it just remain that way unless I bury deeper?
    What you do will depend on the particular plant you have. I'd suggest you go slow and observe it for a period before you act. If shoots grow there, so much the better. If not, you can always add a bit more soil to cover it. My point is never to disturb the soil foundation, as in repositioning or adjusting the position or orientation. Though the soil may be similar to garden soil, bear in mind that under water the conditions are very different. The soil weighs much less than when it is outside the water, for obvious reasons. Thus, unlike in gardening, under water, it is easy to upset the foundation already established between the plant roots and soil.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid ok sure thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@schwip,

Bro I suggest you wait for a bit before trimming, trimming while the plant is not firm to the soil would risk uprooting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@schwip,

Bro I suggest you wait for a bit before trimming, trimming while the plant is not firm to the soil would risk uprooting.
    Yep yep plan to do so

some updates,

I've been searching for months for the "perfect" shrimp to go into my tank.
    it has to fit in all these criteria to be considered.

1. the color must be intense to add some flavor to the scape, like a ladybug on the carpet or something.

2. preferable to have 2-tone instead of a single color, something like the red crystal shrimp.

3. not demanding on the temperature and easy to care for.

4. does not cost me an arm and a leg.

after much looking I finally found the "perfect" shrimp.
    The red rili shrimp.
    I read it's basically cherry shrimp with a different color. the taiwanese breeders created them through selective breeding. so caring them should be easy.

the color is actually red and transparent but it gives you the illusion of a 2-tone color.
    got mine at the green chapter, was looking for 8 pcs, but they are selling 1 for $2.50, 10 for $20. price of 8 and 10 are the same. end up bringing home 10.

Here's some of the gang,

and this is my favourite little boy, had me spent 10 mins luring him out from behind the tank filter at green chapter.

guess I'm done with stocking.
    Hello, j.c.koh.

How are your Red Rili shrimps doing so far?

Reason I'm asking because I got the same variety of shrimps but some were infected with parasites.

Luckily, it was easily treated and I don't have this issue anymore with my Red Rili shrimps.

Anyway, love how your setup is going and please keep us updated.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@rezdwan,

Bro thanks for the heads up, I'll get them check asap and post an update.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I checked on my shrimps last night when I got home,

so far none showed any signs of the parasite infection on them.
    Because the shrimps are on ninja mode, I'm having a hard time locating them all.
    I will spend a few days observing them.

Rezdwan, again thanks for providing me this valuable piece of information, without knowing it I would have thought it's part of the shell if I spotted one.

while locating the shrimps I had a present surprise,

I found a mother-to-be shrimp.

there's a possibility that she's already pregnant at the lfs although I'm quite sure that none were bearing any eggs during the purchase.
    nevertheless I'm still excited.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

somehow the picture doesn't show, here the shrimp,

Attached Images Attached Images

I checked on my shrimps last night when I got home,

so far none showed any signs of the parasite infection on them.
    Because the shrimps are on ninja mode, I'm having a hard time locating them all.
    I will spend a few days observing them.

Rezdwan, again thanks for providing me this valuable piece of information, without knowing it I would have thought it's part of the shell if I spotted one.

while locating the shrimps I had a present surprise,

I found a mother-to-be shrimp.

there's a possibility that she's already pregnant at the lfs although I'm quite sure that none were bearing any eggs during the purchase.
    nevertheless I'm still excited.
    Don't mention it, j.c.koh. I hope all is well with your shrimps and you don't have to go through the frustration that I went through.

Actually, I've been following and waiting for your thread to be updated and got excited when you chose the Red Rili shrimps. Everyone seems to be talking about their Cherry, Sakura, Fire, Painted and etc. but little excitement over the Red Rili.

Love them for the same reasons too. Of the same species, they are the only ones (I know of) with a two tone colour. I so envy your berried shrimp! Been trying to breed them for a month with no luck at the moment. The wait continues.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@rezdwan,

Happy to join you!

It first caught my attention at a lfs as they looked like mini kois with legs.

I did went to your journal for informations a few times before making the purchase, but I somehow missed the parasite infection part.

From what I read shrimps takes several weeks to a month to settle down and breed.
    Base on that information there's a good chance I might have cheated the system and bought a already berried shrimp home.

Yours should start breeding soon.

@rezdwan,

Happy to join you!

It first caught my attention at a lfs as they looked like mini kois with legs.

I did went to your journal for informations a few times before making the purchase, but I somehow missed the parasite infection part.

From what I read shrimps takes several weeks to a month to settle down and breed.
    Base on that information there's a good chance I might have cheated the system and bought a already berried shrimp home.

Yours should start breeding soon.
    You read my 12L Nano Shrimp Tank "Greenwood" journal for information?

So honored and embarrased at the same time. I'm no "shifu" so please don't take my journal seriously. I'm still learning and experimenting.

By the way, thank you for the words of encouragement. Appreciate it.
    Last edited by NanoScaper; 26th Jan 2017 at 00:07.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@rezdwan,

The honor is mine.
    Your journal actually plays a role in my setup.

Because we are both newbies, the questions you asked are relatable to me, I can cut down some research time on shrimps. And your tank is also newly established, I get to witness first hand how the neocaridinas reacts/behaves to the conditions so I can add mine with more confident.

Lastly, you picked the red rili. It very hard to find someone keeping rilis as they are less popular among its neocaridinas siblings.

Cheers.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast