Country
    Singapore

Re: A newbie on a 2 ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    @jacky,
    That '' fertilizer '' is highly recommended to dose at least once a week. ^^

I guess I'll go for seachem. Ada too expensive. if one day I became lazy, maybe I will switch.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good initiative with the master test kit.. *thumbs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@eeJamboy,

I went to the lfs at yishun blk 934 yesterday for inquires on co2 tank refill.
    the staffs over there told me it takes 2 to 3 days for the refill and best if I remove the regulator 1st before sending in to prevent any possible damage.
    Preparing to send it in on monday, I went home trying to remove it. I 1st did a quick googling and found a video that said something about relieving the working pressure down to 0 PSI before removing it for safety reasons, he did that by unscrewing the blue bonnet of the regulator until the reading on the gauges drops to 0.

I did what he was doing in the video, I start adjusting the bonnet. I kept turning and turning and turning, no reaction.... reading's still at 1000 PSI right, 50 PSI left.
    so I thought to myself I'll just keep unscrewing until something happens, then suddenly all working pressure got released at once giving a very loud sharp sound, something flew out in split seconds, think it's because I unscrewed the whole bonnet! I manage to find the spring on the floor when I combed through the floor and wonder if its the only part flying out.

I'm going to post the picture of the bonnet parts and I need experts to tell me if the set is complete or not, if it's not I'm going to continue searching for the missing part tomorrow.
    am I doing it right?

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Actually removing the regulator is easy, you need to unscrew the regular from the tank not unscrewing the blue bonnet. Once you unscrew the hex nut that attached the regulator to the tank the psi will automatically drop. So what is missing , i don't know,it could be a few items or it is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was alerted to this thread .

JC , you nearly got hurt using this equipment ! What you need to do 1st is to tighten the big knob to close the co2 supply to the regulator . After tightening the knob , then loosen the nut connecting the regulator to the co2 tank , which is at the back of the regulator . The nut is behind the 2 dials/meter reading thingy .

Have you done this yet ?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

JC , I have never opened the part you opened before so I do not know what is inside . I also do not want to open it as it might have a torque rating to close it back in to prevent it from unscrewing itself due to the high pressure . You may or may not need a torque wrench to close the screw , valve and spring thingy . It's way out of my experience . You had a lucky escape today ! If that were to hit you directly , you might get hurt real bad !

What if there were children in the path of the flying screw nut ? They might get hurt too ! That's scary !
    Last edited by BFG; 6th Nov 2016 at 11:56.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like you might have to visit an LFS selling the same regulator system and ask to look into one of the units, compare and see if the parts match.

Anyways... to prepare for Co2 gas refills, i also never open the blue cover. My method is to simply close the main cylinder valve (the large grey knob on top), and then switch on the solenoid and open the needle valve to release any trapped leftover gas, then unscrew and remove the solenoid regulator unit.

Btw, you could also bring your cylinder to Co2 refill places like BioPlast at Boon Keng Rd, they do on-the-spot refills. No need to wait a few days. Saves having to do 2 trips.

Just curious, if your main gauge is already showing 1,000 PSI it's probably still containing a good amount of gas, not really necessary refill it yet. Can still use for quite a while. Usually most Co2 cylinder are refilled up to 1,000-1,100 PSI.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@BFG,

Ya I turned the big knob to Close before unscrewing to bonnet. To be honest I had a bad feeling so I waited for everyone to sleep before doing it. I sat by the side when unscrewing the bonnet so I don't get hit if anything came flying out. I guess I was lucky yesterday, if I put my face in front of the gauges to check when unscrewing I might have lost a teeth or two.

The pervious owner bought it at natural aquarium, someone told me they did co2 tank on the spot I think I'll go there, get them to look at the regulator as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@urban aquaria

The owner told me it's left with about 1/4 full only so I was thinking of getting it filled up before the set up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oops i remembered it wrongly. Na only do 1 to 1 exchange. I guess I'm going down to boon keng.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

JC , heed the bad feeling next time , instinct is there for a reason . Saved me and my company from a huge mistake happening the last time it came up for me . If you are not sure , just ask in the relevant section , its free anyway . Luckily , you came out scots free , it might not be the next time . And please , do take your time in this hobby , its not a race and there are no finishing line ahead .

Hope this helps !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

JC , heed the bad feeling next time , instinct is there for a reason . Saved me and my company from a huge mistake happening the last time it came up for me . If you are not sure , just ask in the relevant section , its free anyway . Luckily , you came out scots free , it might not be the next time . And please , do take your time in this hobby , its not a race and there are no finishing line ahead .

Hope this helps !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    Oops i remembered it wrongly. Na only do 1 to 1 exchange. I guess I'm going down to boon keng.
    I am curious. Why didn't you want to have a 1-to-1 exchange for refill? No waiting time. I normally bring my whole CO2 cylinder and solenoid down and Chan will me to swap the cylinder. Though I have been using the CO2 setup for a few years, i am still a noob in this CO2 thingy. I still don't dare to unscrew it myself.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Jc if you are staying at the east side there is another co2 refill company.

Leong Chew Industrial Gas Pte Ltd
    Address: Blk 3013 Bedok Ind Pk E #01-2108
    Phone: +65 64412108

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@BFG
    noted, I'll be more careful next time.

@hann
    it's just that I like the idea of getting back my own tank. but you do have a point,
    it's not a aluminum tank and it's straight from NA, going to NA would be more practical. Thanks.

@AQMS
    No I live at the north side, but it's still good to know. thank you ^^

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@BFG
    noted, I'll be more careful next time.

@hann
    it's just that I like the idea of getting back my own tank. but you do have a point,
    it's not a aluminum tank and it's straight from NA, going to NA would be more practical. Thanks.

@AQMS
    No I live at the north side, but it's still good to know. thank you ^^
    Hi all, I need to qualify that I am not an expert in co2 regulators.

BUT I am in an industrial sector. I can tell you that the 1000 psi is about 68 bar. 68 bar is equivalent to 6,800,000 Newton per metre2 or 680,000 kg per m2. That's alot of pressure. We have had serious/fatal injuries on people who go hit by bolts/flanges at pressure less than 68 bar.

So I would suggest that you inform whoever is going to top up your tank about what you did so that they can do the necessary check. Even if it is 'cleared', I suggest that before you switched on the co2, please turn it away and let it face a wall. Be safe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@SGDiscus
    thank you, I'll be going down to NA on Wednesday and ask them to help me check on the regulator to see if it's still safe for use.
    never again would I turn that bonnet!

This is the video I saw before attempting the removal :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxawOueZAuo

step 3 is where it got me, the video was blurry and his hands are blocking the regulator most of the time. I assumed he was turning the bonnet to release the pressure.
    I was very tired on that day and just wanna get it done and go to bed.

from now onwards I will be extra careful when handling equitments like that and I wont take things for granted anymore.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This is the video I saw before attempting the removal :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxawOueZAuo

step 3 is where it got me, the video was blurry and his hands are blocking the regulator most of the time. I assumed he was turning the bonnet to release the pressure.
    I was very tired on that day and just wanna get it done and go to bed.

from now onwards I will be extra careful when handling equitments like that and I wont take things for granted anymore.
    There are many different regulator designs, that regulator in the video has an adjustable tuning knob to adjust the working pressure, its different from the regulator that you have which has a fixed working pressure, which isn't meant to be turned.

You can see this example of the regulator which was used in the video:

Notice that it has the setscrew (point #8 ) to adjust the dispensing/working pressure. The ones with fixed working pressure that we use don't have that, so that cover part should not be touched.

Anyways, luckily no one got hurt and you now know the difference, so you can operate it more safely from here on.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 8th Nov 2016 at 02:14.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I saw the video. Yes, it was misleading. If Urban Aquaria had not pointed out that the regulator in the video is a different one from the one you are using, I would have made the same mistake too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For safety purpose, I may replace a new regulator to have a peace of mind. My family members safety come first.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast