Advertise here

Advertise here
    Sorry not 'flat', it's filter

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: A newbie on a 2 ft tank

I think most of the website send miss information and confused and confound the fundamental of dissolved organic compound. As such due to this we all put in active carbon to polish the water. By doing so algae will rift and continually to rift if we do so. What is balance? By over cleaning the system you are along for even more trouble. Never ever clean the stone and rock and boil it. It creates a void. Only thing to do is to wash with water and quarantine no need to do over cleaning.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

By over planting the Aquarium the algae will have no chance. Plants not suitable will die off. Having floaters like water lettuce and Frog bit. You are likely to absorb more nitrate and ammonium which promotes more algae. Over the top!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

how long have you not clean your flat?!

just kidding I know you meant filter...

Quote Originally Posted by simonyeeklang View Post
    DOC is dissolved organic compound. I don't clean my flat unnecessarily because it have anaerobic to convert certain harmful substances to other elements

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

by any chance your tank is beside the window or a place that sunlight can reach?
    I have a tank that is by the window, certain times of the year, when morning sun hit that spot, the tank is green till cannot see fish, and like now, when the sun is shifted, the tank is as clear as crystal.. initially I am quite affected by it , but so many years has passed I have got used to it..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    by any chance your tank is beside the window or a place that sunlight can reach?
    I have a tank that is by the window, certain times of the year, when morning sun hit that spot, the tank is green till cannot see fish, and like now, when the sun is shifted, the tank is as clear as crystal.. initially I am quite affected by it , but so many years has passed I have got used to it..
    For your case, the solution is very simple. Just buy a piece of corrugated plastic sheet from Popular book store and cut it to the size of your aquarium back. During the months of direct sunlight, place the sheet behind the aquarium. After a few months when the sun is no more direct, simply remove the sheet. Getting used to thick green water is not the best solution.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Never never ever put near windows. Do you have black thick rubbish bags?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Send us a photo before and after

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bros, I need urgent advices on this matter.

Is a jbj arctica chiller 1/15 hp connected to my 2215 filter good enough for my tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for advice!
    how come I never think of that!
    will try to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    For your case, the solution is very simple. Just buy a piece of corrugated plastic sheet from Popular book store and cut it to the size of your aquarium back. During the months of direct sunlight, place the sheet behind the aquarium. After a few months when the sun is no more direct, simply remove the sheet. Getting used to thick green water is not the best solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by simonyeeklang View Post
    Never never ever put near windows. Do you have black thick rubbish bags?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for advice!
    how come I never think of that!
    will try to do that...
    The corrugated plastic board from Popular book store comes in many colours, including black or white. It is easy to cut and convenient to use.

I always prefer to place my aquarium beside a window and then control the light exposure as mentioned. Actually, for good plant growth, direct sunlight is desirable, since it is a natural source of full-spectrum light. Artificial full-spectrum light fittings are expensive and cannot beat natural sunlight. It's a pity I do not have the luxury of space near a window to put my tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

actually the tank that is near window is a fish only tank only recently I added in a pandan plant and it flourish nicely.. but I still get green water though

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

actually the tank that is near window is a fish only tank only recently I added in a pandan plant and it flourish nicely.. but I still get green water though
    Green water is definitely the result of exposure to natural full-spectrum sunlight. So to control the light, it is necessary to block not only the back of the tank but also the sides and the top too. With very little sunlight hitting the tank, there is little likelihood of green water developing. The secret lies in light control. In addition to controlling sunlight, it is also necessary to control the tank lights if any.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

some updates,

a few days ago I went over to that aquarium at yishun, saw that they are selling the uv sterilizer used by ivan choo.
    the staff told me to pick the 9w if buying as they say 13w is too powerful for 15 gallon.
    I bought the 9w uv at a reasonable price. my initial plan is to wait 2 weeks before getting 1 but I'm getting more and more impatient lol.

hooking up the system was a nightmare, the installation guide on the box had the o-ring place at the wrong place, I followed the instructions at ended up having a very leaky uv system. I thought faulty parts were to blame so I went back thinking of a replacement. the bro over there helped me check on it and told me the o-ring placement shown on the box was wrong and helped me assembled it.
    we did a test there to make sure there's no leakage before bringing it home. now to think of it, it's actually common sense lol

I had it hooked up on my right side, I put a piece of paper to prevent the light from shinning on the inlet pipe.
    so far it has been on for 48 hours, but I'm still having the familiar greenish color.....
    I did some searching on the net, some said it takes 4-5 days... I guess I have to be patient.

I did a 60% water change today as to help shorten the time for the uv to clear things up.

now it looks better, hopefully it can stay this way tomorrow.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    Bros, I need urgent advices on this matter.

Is a jbj arctica chiller 1/15 hp connected to my 2215 filter good enough for my tank?
    I can't seem to get any advises regarding the chiller, someone is selling the 1/15 hp and I'm not sure if it's good enough to run it on a 15 gallon. I read somewhere that 1/10 hp is better.....
    but anyway he has already reserved it for me, I'm collecting it tomorrow.

so if it's not powerful enough, please do not tell me.... cause we had already made a deal, there's no turning back.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The function of a UV filter is to kill off the green water algae which is suspended n the water column. However, if the water-borne algae is simply passed through the light briefly, the algae will not be exposed long enough for the light to do its work. To make the best use of the UV, the water flow has to be regulated such that it allows sufficient time for the passing suspended algae to be destroyed. In this regard, a more powerful lamp is also desirable for greater efficiency.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@tetrakid,

Before buying I did the math, 2215 had a maximum 163 gph flow rate. With the media and the uv I think it further reduces the flow rate. I saw a sunsun jup-22 using 9w with a 210gph flow rate. I read the reviews and most said it's able to do it's job. I think I'll give it more time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    @tetrakid,

Before buying I did the math, 2215 had a maximum 163 gph flow rate. With the media and the uv I think it further reduces the flow rate. I saw a sunsun jup-22 using 9w with a 210gph flow rate. I read the reviews and most said it's able to do it's job. I think I'll give it more time.
    Regardless of which model you have, it is better to reduce the flow rate if possible, for the reason I mentioned.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Tetrakid,

I understand, I'm going to close the outflow double tap slightly to reduce to flow, I read its not recommended as it will cause the motor to heat up but I'm guessing 1 or 2 days won't hurt. I put in the surface skimmer to increase the water flow in the tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

after adding your chiller, your flow will be even lower..

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast