Country
    Singapore

Re: A newbie on a 2 ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    @torque6,

I did placed a lot of black corrugated plastic bought at popular bookstore when doing set up. By right it shouldn't happen lol.

OK, I will siphon them out during next water change.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

When I did my setup, I was also considering the use of black corrugated plastic, but compared to SKP hard plastic box cuttings, SKP is more rigid.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see, thanks for the info.

I would consider using it when doing rescape.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For the soil on the MC , I will leave it as it is as MC is a fast growing plant and the patch will be covered with nice green plants again...
    the sad thing to see in LFS is the lack of water change , cloudy water and dead fish.

For Qian Hu, I think if their price is lower, there'll be more people visiting the place.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@fireblade,

Agreed, I don't remember buying anything from them as it's quite pricey. But their livestock selection not bad, alot of interesting fishes to look at.. I remember chancing upon the upside down catfish lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

How is the BBA fighting battle, bro? Is this under control now?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yo jacky thanks for asking, it's definitely under control now.

After there's no more bba on the rocks, I had called for a crease fire on the h202 chemical warfare 2 weeks ago.
    I didn't clean the lily pipes for 2 weeks and there's no bba growing on it which is a good thing.

There are still bba on the plants but they are not spreading as much as they use to. It's lesser now so it's easier to observe the spreading.

The SAE are very hardworking, in fact they are too hardworking to the point that I'm not sure if I had finally solved the issue by tuning to the right balance of the tank or they simply just eat up the bba.... lol

1 of the bigger SAE is showing more and more aggressions towards the tankmate day by day, I might consider releasing them back to the LFS once the problem is resolved.

This is how the tank looks now :

The mc are not growing at the speed they used to anymore, good and bad, less trimming for me.
    There are some browning on the hair grass patch, I'll nurse them back to good health.

When there are new bba on plants they are always on tip of the hair grass.

There's more on the left side of the tank. Not sure if there's anything to do with the flow, but I will continue to observe.

bba on the mc, I believe most are the left over after the out-break, they seems to attack more on the hair grass than the mc now. I'll trim them off bit by bit weekly as the mc are already very thin, don't wanna mess up the balance again.

There seems to be alot of algae on my rocks,

I think It's the GSA or the GDA, couldn't really tell the difference though. It's weird that with my cleaning crew of 5 otos, 3 SAE and an army of about 50+ shrimps, they are not able to reduce the amount on the rocks.

I'm not complaining though as I really like the looks of it, it gave the tank a very nice aged/vintage look. But I do wonder if it's a warning sign of something is off. Anyone with experiences on the GSA or GDA?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Apologies for hijacking this thread. On the third last picture at the corner left, it looks like cynobacteria. Correct me if I am wrong. If yes, does anyone has success removing them without a chemical warfare? I think this is more persistent than bba.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

The rocks surely make your tank look very mature, bro. I think you can try using a brush to brush it off. Maybe the one with metal bristles if those are stubborn.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Hann, I don't think it's the BGA.
    It's the GSA or GDA that's on the glass like the one on the second picture.
    Usually I'll scrap them off once every week. I got lazy this 2 weeks.

I think in the third picture, because it's out of focus at the side so it looks as if it's growing on top of the plant but it's not.

I do not have any experience dealing with BGA, I do read about how tough and persistent they can be.

Maybe those with experiences might be able to help.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

wow! this is bad...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hann View Post
    Apologies for hijacking this thread. On the third last picture at the corner left, it looks like cynobacteria. Correct me if I am wrong. If yes, does anyone has success removing them without a chemical warfare? I think this is more persistent than bba.
    Try directing more water flow in that area , might be due to dead spot .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Try directing more water flow in that area , might be due to dead spot .
    I never believe that BGA is due to dead spots. It is possible for a large tank but for a small nano iwagumi with little or no obstructing hard scape? Don't think so. I have had BGA growing intensively on my lily pipes in my previous setup and inflow pipes, surely those areas aren't dead spots? The only reason you are seeing BGA is 3 things. High Phosphate + low nitrate, dirty pipes + filter and unhealthy, slow growing planted environment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

An update,

Things are looking good so far, BBA had stopped growing on equipments and rocks, I think that means the living environment is no longer in favor of them.

MC bounced back and starts spreading again. I've been doing weekly trims getting rid of the infected plants bit by bit. With the MC spreading again, the battle is pretty much winnable. Another month of trimming might do it.

Lately I'm having alot of bubbles on the side of the tank after lights off. I understand oily surface contributes to the problem but the bubbles still forms even after I use the surface skimmer in the morning. It never happened in the pass, just recently.

Does anyone knows the cause of the bubbles and how to deal with it?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Good to know that the BBA has been controlled, bro!

For the bubble, I don't know if that is the sign for water change? Anyway, you can try to lift the Lily pipe outlet to surface and create aeration together with surface skimmer.
    IMO, the aeration will break down the oily surface and those bubble, too. Then surface skimmer would suck that all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The photo is taken 24hour after water change lol
    OK I'll play around with the height of the lily pipe and see if it gets better.

Yo jacky, I had something that ungently need your advice.
    I'll be taking a short vacation with my family next week with no one left in the house to dose the fertilizers for 4 days.

Is there anything I can do before leaving the house?
    Can the tank make it 4 days without fertilizers?

Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    Apologies for the mundane question.

The clear hook thermometer at the top right of this picture, what brand is it and where did you get it from?

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

The photo is taken 24hour after water change lol
    OK I'll play around with the height of the lily pipe and see if it gets better.

Yo jacky, I had something that ungently need your advice.
    I'll be taking a short vacation with my family next week with no one left in the house to dose the fertilizers for 4 days.

Is there anything I can do before leaving the house?
    Can the tank make it 4 days without fertilizers?
    Hi bro JC,

No worries much on your 4 days vacation. I used to be away 7 days without taking care of the tanks. They looked even better when I came home. LOL
    What I would do before the vacation:-
    - A week before vacation: keep monitoring the CO2 and lighting, automatically on/off in time? Feeding daily to keep them in good condition. Keep it as such and don't try to tweak anything. :P Observing how much water evaporated in 4 days (your days of vacation), you would know roughly how much water loss during the vacation. I think in 4 days, it should be alright.
    - A day or 2 before vacation: doing water change for about 50%. Dosing fertilizers as usual. Feeding fishes well.
    - The day you go for vacation: dosing the fertilizer double of what you normally do. Tank will be alright without dosing fertilizers for a few days. No worries. Feed the fish well before you go. Top up the water to the max that you can, if you have chiller, that is fine, no need to worries much about water evaporation. For me, I use fan, so I turn off the fan. Let the fish enjoy Singapore heat for few days.

That's all. Bon voyage!

Oh, if you have CCTV at home, try to point it at your fish tank and observe it daily see if on/off is OK, water level is OK. Nothing much you can do since nobody at home, but at least you have a peace in mind that everything is OK.

Enjoy the trip bro!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@nanoscaper,
    The thermometer is gush brand, it's part of the purchase when I bought the 2nd hand tank + cabinet last year.

I think lfs that sells gush items should have it. You can try green chapter or AA.

@jacky,
    Bro thanks for the help. ^^v

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

@nanoscaper,
    The thermometer is gush brand, it's part of the purchase when I bought the 2nd hand tank + cabinet last year.

I think lfs that sells gush items should have it. You can try green chapter or AA.
    Thanks, j.c.koh.

I did check out GC for the GUSH brand thermometers recently and found out that they have gotten longer and there are no more clear ones.

Maybe I'll check out AA next time.