Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

20 gallon goldfish tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, i am thinking of starting a goldfish tank? I have a 20 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank. I also have a betta fish housed in a different tank. In my 10 gallon, i have 10 scarlett badis,5 dwarf corydoras and 8 neon tetras. However, i just bought a cheap 20 gallon tank today. I intend on putting no substrate in my 20 gallon. I will put some low tech plants in my 20 gallon and some rocks as well. Now, i am thinking of putting 2 goldfish into the 20 gallon and 8 neons. And putting my betta fish into my 10 gallon tank. And I will probably sell my scarlett badis, if anyone is interested, I will sell each for 1 dollar. Let me know what you guys think!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 20 gallon goldfish tank?

A betta by itself in a 10G sounds awesome.
    Not sure about those goldfish though..

Do you really want 2 goldfishes? Perhaps for a 20G tank w neons, hardy plants and stones, you could consider other nano species that would definitely appreciate the swimming space to share with neons.

Goldfish and plants? Got mixed feelings about this though I can't express much as I have never kept them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

20g is too small for goldfish, their bioload is pretty high and they do get quite large. I'd recommend either changing your stock choice or tank size

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi BraceHero,

I have previously considered 20 gallon tank for two goldfish too and here is my take on this matter:

Do identify if the goldfish breed you are getting is either single-tail or fancy.

For fancy goldfish, the general stocking rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first fish, then 10 gallons for each additional fish.

Single-tailed fish need far more room, and at least 40 gallons per fish is mandatory (a pond would be best).

Do take note of the goldfish compatibility with another goldfish (in case you are getting two different species of fancy goldfish)

My advice is best not to keep goldfish with neons, but rather make it a goldfish tank alone.

If the goldfish you are getting is still young (less than 2 inches), you can get away with 20 gallons tank provided you keep up with regular large water changes, adequate filtration and biological media.

Do check out the two links below for more info for goldfish:
    https://puregoldfish.com/
    http://www.solidgoldfish.com/p/goldfish-basics.html

Hope my input helps!