Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginner: planted nano tank with eventual shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by CzTio View Post
    With the shiruba canister, need to downsize the hose to be able to use the ANS nano inlet and outlet. Because i had too little space to play with, the short hose would be too stiff to be able to position the lily pipe and inlet. I've bought the tap and believe should be able to turn down the flow, but got lazy and bought the $8 dolphin filter and used it instead.

About the fan, temp will depend on the weather. e.g. now its 27c on my thermometer. On hot days, will still hit 29-30c. Wouldn't trust the fan if you want to keep expensive shrimps. Cherries are doing great in the tank and breeding.
    Got it! Any reason why initially you went for xb303 and not xb301?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by schwip View Post
    Got it! Any reason why initially you went for xb303 and not xb301?
    I actually wanted to look for the xb305 but couldn't find it. hahaha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I actually wanted to look for the xb305 but couldn't find it. hahaha
    Hahahahha okok. Looks like I need to make a trip to C328...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update: Aunty says "Eden 501 how many yrs no stock liao"

Whats available is the Ista all in one (360l/h) and Eheim 150 classic. Feel like Eheim might have too high a flow rate? Any thoughts? Admittedly Eheim parts would be easier to find and fit I think...

Both use 12/16mm pipeing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just read back and noticed you also have limited space to play with? where do you intend to put the canister filter? The ehiem classic would definitely be an overkill for your tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just read back and noticed you also have limited space to play with? where do you intend to put the canister filter? The ehiem classic would definitely be an overkill for your tank.
    Shelf the tank is sitting on is abt 110cm off the ground, gap between it and wall is about 3-4cm. Looking at most cannister dimensions the smallest of them only fits (barely) on same shelf if I shove the tank all the way to the right, so I'm thinking of placing it on the lower shelf. Probably going to lower the tank shelf to lessen the gap and so I have easier access hahaha. Ivar pretty sturdy I dun think 15kg is an issue load wise.

Undecided if I want tubing down the side or the back of the tank at this point.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ah.......definitely not beside. I've done it with the xb303 and it look hideous! From what I see, try a little hof 1st? The bottom shelve look like a great place for another tank with a different scape!

Also you stay nearer to seaview? Why come.all the way to the west when seaview have a bigger range of things?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ah.......definitely not beside. I've done it with the xb303 and it look hideous! From what I see, try a little hof 1st? The bottom shelve look like a great place for another tank with a different scape!

Also you stay nearer to seaview? Why come.all the way to the west when seaview have a bigger range of things?
    I went to Seaview earlier to check their stock oso but they didnt have Eden 501 either. So just decided to check out C328 also. I def live way closer to Seaview. They have Shirubas and a range of wee HOFs. Might just take up that option but aiyah... I still find the hanging thing very in the way, yknow? Will card up/blacken the back of the tank if I go that route.

And hahahah I haven't even scaped one yet don't make me think of another.

I have an alternative shelf that's much longer and would actually make light control easier because it's off to the side instead of opposite my window like this wall is BUuUUUUt I think the tank would look even smaller than it is now within that shelf. Sorry think-typing aloud.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I went to Seaview earlier to check their stock oso but they didnt have Eden 501 either. So just decided to check out C328 also. I def live way closer to Seaview. They have Shirubas and a range of wee HOFs. Might just take up that option but aiyah... I still find the hanging thing very in the way, yknow? Will card up/blacken the back of the tank if I go that route.

And hahahah I haven't even scaped one yet don't make me think of another.

I have an alternative shelf that's much longer and would actually make light control easier because it's off to the side instead of opposite my window like this wall is BUuUUUUt I think the tank would look even smaller than it is now within that shelf. Sorry think-typing aloud.
    That's why I put my hof by the side. Will only see the inlet at the corner, no outlet to worry about. Simple, cheap and easy to maintain. Can upgrade to cannister anytime if you are not happy. Will just set u back $8? Hahaha

And with so little space to play with, I also suggest clip on lights like mine. Had the up aqua pro z lights and the lights dropped into the tank a few times cos didn't have space to reposition the light when doing maintenance, or simply wanting to do something in the tank.

If you really want to go cannister, can try the shiruba xb303. Put at bottom shelve, reduce hose size and hopefully the flow would not be too strong after that. If still too strong, then add a tap? I complained that it was too strong because I places the cannister right beside the tank with all the original fittings.

Hope this little tips help

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you really want to go cannister, can try the shiruba xb303. Put at bottom shelve, reduce hose size and hopefully the flow would not be too strong after that. If still too strong, then add a tap? I complained that it was too strong because I places the cannister right beside the tank with all the original fittings.

Hope this little tips help
    It does! Thank you about the lights as well, I guess if going for up aqua Y series might be better for me in that case? Anyway here would be the alternative placement. It would mean I could hide equipment to the right in the short shelves initially pulled out. But it will also not make the tank a room centrepiece .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh that said, would xb301 be fine? It looks compact enough, and also using 12/16mm pipes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It does! Thank you about the lights as well, I guess if going for up aqua Y series might be better for me in that case? Anyway here would be the alternative placement. It would mean I could hide equipment to the right in the short shelves initially pulled out. But it will also not make the tank a room centrepiece .
    For this bigger rack, where do you want to put the cannister? If you put it higher than the tank, you will have problem priming the cannister. Anyway I think the right hand side would be a PIA spot if you wanna remove and clean the cannister in the future.

If you are looking at the xb301, might as well see if there is a similar model to Eden 501 that uses the 9/12mm tubing then you don't need to do the downsize of tube and stuff. Think i've seen the boyu or some other brand, should be the same thing just rebranded china product.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For this bigger rack, where do you want to put the cannister? If you put it higher than the tank, you will have problem priming the cannister. Anyway I think the right hand side would be a PIA spot if you wanna remove and clean the cannister in the future.

If you are looking at the xb301, might as well see if there is a similar model to Eden 501 that uses the 9/12mm tubing then you don't need to do the downsize of tube and stuff. Think i've seen the boyu or some other brand, should be the same thing just rebranded china product.
    Yuh would look at lowering the shelf on the right and the main shelf to avoid the little cross beam that holds the shelf stands. I have small hands so it might be easier for me? Idk.

Ou I have seen boyus! It's the same make? Anyway probably heading to Seaview later to make my decision hahah.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yuh would look at lowering the shelf on the right and the main shelf to avoid the little cross beam that holds the shelf stands. I have small hands so it might be easier for me? Idk.

Ou I have seen boyus! It's the same make? Anyway probably heading to Seaview later to make my decision hahah.
    Hahaha.....don't take my words for the boyu filter yah? I've not used it before.

Yah, head down to seaview and make your decision there. You can research all you want, end up the product that you want is out of stock. Like how I ended up with the xb303.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha.....don't take my words for the boyu filter yah? I've not used it before.

Yah, head down to seaview and make your decision there. You can research all you want, end up the product that you want is out of stock. Like how I ended up with the xb303.
    Thanks man. Will prob update later

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update, I got the Ista 360lph. Their box pic and Boyu's xb303 is EXACTLY THE SAME (the position of filter media also the same?!). The hose is quite soft but wow huge diameter. Their adapters (also ista) is for 12mm and 16mm. They mean internal diameters when they say that right? I asked one of the staff and he said my hose would go on the 12mm portion :/

So I would need to find a 12mm to 9mm adapter if I want to go for smaller intake and outtake pipes, I am assuming?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update, I got the Ista 360lph. Their box pic and Boyu's xb303 is EXACTLY THE SAME (the position of filter media also the same?!). The hose is quite soft but wow huge diameter. Their adapters (also ista) is for 12mm and 16mm. They mean internal diameters when they say that right? I asked one of the staff and he said my hose would go on the 12mm portion :/

So I would need to find a 12mm to 9mm adapter if I want to go for smaller intake and outtake pipes, I am assuming?

Yes ,yes and yes! Those 13mm lily pipe sets won't fit our tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes ,yes and yes! Those 13mm lily pipe sets won't fit our tanks.
    Aiight then!

Also oops I mean Shiruba xb303* not Boyu ahahah. I saw one Boyu that looks like the Eden 501 and Shiruba 301, but some other old forum threads mentioned they weren't that great a model to use.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Aiight then!

Also oops I mean Shiruba xb303* not Boyu ahahah. I saw one Boyu that looks like the Eden 501 and Shiruba 301, but some other old forum threads mentioned they weren't that great a model to use.
    Hahaha, good buy! Update your setting up of the tank!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha, good buy! Update your setting up of the tank!
    Slowly slowly... need to clear the appropriate space in my room first haahah.

On a sidenote, what are the dis/advantages of double taps... Where along the piping should I install the taps: closer to the intake and outtake pipes?

And since I am going to reduce the pipe, is it better to reduce closer to the filter canister?

Generally is there a rule of thumb how much hose I should leave before cutting to prevent it from popping out from pressure or anything?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast