Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Beginner: planted nano tank with eventual shrimp

Re: Beginner: planted nano tank with eventual shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The shrimps are nice! Do they require a chiller?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Looks like Scutariella japonica parasites on the rostrum of your shrimps... best and fastest treatment is salt dip to get rid of those parasites. Better to eliminate those parasites now than have remnants stay in the tank and keep re-infecting the shrimps.

More info on those parasites for reference: http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015/...hwater-shrimp/
    Ah dang, so its not vorticella? For salt bath... would the following treatment described in this thread do fine?

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=95448

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by verk47 View Post
    The shrimps are nice! Do they require a chiller?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Hey thks! My temp is abt 27 to 26C constant now and they seem fine... I do suppose ideal conditions would involve a chiller.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Did the salt dip as in reef2rainforest's guide and also put a few drops of paraguard into the main tank. White stuff (the worms?) seem to have all dropped off from the shrimp! They went back to grazing as soon as they were put back in the main tank.

Did discover 1 death yesterday though when fishing out the shrimp for the salt dip.

Will update after a few days to see if infection returns.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schwip View Post
    Did the salt dip as in reef2rainforest's guide and also put a few drops of paraguard into the main tank. White stuff (the worms?) seem to have all dropped off from the shrimp! They went back to grazing as soon as they were put back in the main tank.

Did discover 1 death yesterday though when fishing out the shrimp for the salt dip.

Will update after a few days to see if infection returns.

Hey, schwip.

Sorry to hear that your shrimps are infected with the Scutariella japonica parasites.

Anymore parasites after the salt bath and adding Seachem ParaGuard to the tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, no more parasites spotted but another shrimp death. Not sure if age or stress.

Algae is blooming on my surfaces... including the wood. Likely a combinatiom of a few things: shrimp bio load and my lowering of excel dose among them. Irritating that they are on my tank walls but i quite like the look on the wood!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just to show myriophyllum growth speed comparing 9th Feb and 18th Feb. Monte carlo is also spreading but at a slower pace. Since the introduction of the wood (more shade), newer leaves also tend to be smaller and darker.

Hi, no more parasites spotted but another shrimp death. Not sure if age or stress.

Algae is blooming on my surfaces... including the wood. Likely a combinatiom of a few things: shrimp bio load and my lowering of excel dose among them. Irritating that they are on my tank walls but i quite like the look on the wood!

Hey, schwip.

Nice to know that your shrimps have recovered.

Let's hope your shrimps will thrive in your tank and multiply (and then I can buy some from you)!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eh bad news man, they keep dying but really slowly. I am chalking it up to old age because they really are quite big
    I'm left with 2 females and 1 male.

My friend passed me two tigers and two red noses to help with this hair algae problem that has cropped up. They are quite literally clearing paths as I type this and they haven't stopped grazing after intro to the tank.

My myriophyllum is still growing in its weedish fashion but monte carloe seems to be stunted by the algae a bit. Their growth has paused, hahahah.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all some updates!

Everything except the plants and one blue shrimp died when I went on an overseas trip for 2 weeks and I didn't really direct my family to help with maintenance.

This blue hulk shrimp has survived numerous hardships for the past 2 months and counting...hahaha.

Algae covered EVERYTHING. I took out the wood as a result: it was affecting water flow and it made managing the tank difficult. Used a hand siphon dropper thingy to do water changes and suck up as much algae as I could off the plants, and cut the direct light for a few days.

I bought 5 red noses online but I didnt really check at point of collection and when I opened the packet I realised two were already milky white. Sure enough, they died the next day. I've got 3 left who look healthy. Those managed to clear the remaining algae off my plants for the most part...so I have hope! Hahaha.

Oh yeah, replaced the wood with a rock and little shrimp hidey tubes (which have yet to be utilised).

Did an ammonia (0) and nitrates (10-15) test and the results look fine.

If the current four continue to survive I may consider getting more blues or cherries to join them. Or maybe even more red noses. We shall see!

Hi all some updates!

Everything except the plants and one blue shrimp died when I went on an overseas trip for 2 weeks and I didn't really direct my family to help with maintenance.

This blue hulk shrimp has survived numerous hardships for the past 2 months and counting...hahaha.

Algae covered EVERYTHING. I took out the wood as a result: it was affecting water flow and it made managing the tank difficult. Used a hand siphon dropper thingy to do water changes and suck up as much algae as I could off the plants, and cut the direct light for a few days.

I bought 5 red noses online but I didnt really check at point of collection and when I opened the packet I realised two were already milky white. Sure enough, they died the next day. I've got 3 left who look healthy. Those managed to clear the remaining algae off my plants for the most part...so I have hope! Hahaha.

Oh yeah, replaced the wood with a rock and little shrimp hidey tubes (which have yet to be utilised).

Did an ammonia (0) and nitrates (10-15) test and the results look fine.

If the current four continue to survive I may consider getting more blues or cherries to join them. Or maybe even more red noses. We shall see!
    Hey, schwip

What is that nice rock you've got? It makes your tank look bigger somehow.

Nice to see an update from you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi I think it's an unzan stone? It was the smallest size I could find... not cheap tho!

Yes it is much smaller than the wood was, so the tank seems much sparser now.

Hi I think it's an unzan stone? It was the smallest size I could find... not cheap tho!

Yes it is much smaller than the wood was, so the tank seems much sparser now.

Hey, thank for the info.

I think it would look great if you could grow green algae or moss on it.

Then again, that's how I imagine it would look best.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456