Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginner: planted nano tank with eventual shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by schwip View Post
    Btw where to find Eden filters? Seaview doesnt seem to stock right now. They have Eheim aquacompact 40 but I realised the pump is part of the top portion of the system? Sibei dua looking.
    Yeah, the Eden brand filters don't seem to be stocked anymore at most places nowadays. Instead the other newer brand ones like ISTA, Shiruba and Azoo (all using the similar type design) are usually what you will find at most LFS.

The ISTA 360 is suitable for your tank size, just install a single tap on the outflow to reduce the flow rate if necessary. You can also use reducers so that it's 12/16 hoses can step down to 9/12 to fit the 9mm lily pipes, if you plant to use them. The reduction of hose size will also help reduce overall flow rate too.

Also is this the right plc to ask or shud I start another thread: noticed you used up-aqua Z series lights but that was a few yrs ago. At that point how many bulbs was that?

They have an ET series now with about 10 bulbs (5.5w) and I'm wondering if that would be better for me since I don't think I would plan co2 injection (but would use liquid carbon). Z series has like 15 bulbs or something now... price diff at Seaview is about $18 between them with Y series in the middle. Of course on a purely aesthetics basis Z series looks sleeker hahhahah. But I don't want to overheat my tank or end up promoting too much algae that the shrimps can't clear.
    In the photo, i was using the first generation Up Aqua Z-Series Pro LED lights... the 30cm version was running on 90 x 0.06W LEDs (works out to just 5+ watts in total). Actually after all these years, i'm still using the old generation models on my current planted tanks and they are still working well.

Anyways, the new generation models are now using more powerful 0.5W LEDs, the difference between the various models is just how many LEDs they have on the unit. The ET-Series should be more than sufficient for your tank dimensions and usage, based on individual LED wattage, its already more powerful than the old generation Z-Series LED lights that i'm using.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

On a sidenote, what are the dis/advantages of double taps... Where along the piping should I install the taps: closer to the intake and outtake pipes?

And since I am going to reduce the pipe, is it better to reduce closer to the filter canister?

Generally is there a rule of thumb how much hose I should leave before cutting to prevent it from popping out from pressure or anything?
    Double taps are useful when you need to clean your canister filter and don't want to carry the entire lot of hoses and pipes along with the canister to clean. You can shut the taps and disconnect the hoses without spillage. Each part can then be removed to clean individually.

The only thing is they cost extra to buy separately (for those filters that don't come with inbuilt taps), and you have to allocate some space along the hose line to install them (the double taps are long, which can be abit tricky if your hose distances are short).

For the installation of the taps, usually most people will install them closer to the canister side, mainly so that they can better hide the taps away from view. You can also install them closer to the outflow/intake pipes too, just that they tend to become more visible when viewing the tank.

You can install the reducers anywhere along the hose line, their exact placement aren't so crucial.

For a secure water-tight fit, a 1cm or more connection join between the hoses to the pipes should usually be sufficient. If in doubt, cut the hose abit longer to allow for extra flexibility and positioning, try to avoid situations where the hose puts stress on the connections when moved.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Urban Aquaria

Yes double taps do look v long! Ok so.. what is the difference between these two reducers:

Does the bulkier looking one have an option to simply disconnect the two parts without removing the hose from the adapter portion? Or isit simply a more secure adapter...

And for the single tap, does it mean if I wish to dismantle it will mean removing the hoses from the adapter on either end, whereas for double tap the tap itself will be disconnected into two halves?

Tks about the lighting! Is even lighting through the length of the tank a must must? Because Up Aqua has this small light clip-on as well which I am also considering.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can actually try using the xb303 without double taps 1st. Mine was quite easy to remove the hose from the cannister.

That light that you choose, will take up a lor of vertical soace if you flip the thing up for maintainance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok so this is what I currently have. Still fiddling with overall layout before I get to any nitty gritty scaping. I figure I would rather arrange my tech the way I want before working the scape instead of trying to fit it around the scape aesthetically and frustrating myself.

External cable will be to the left so filter placed there for proximity also. Plan to go get the reducers, 9/12mm hose and gUSH pipes over the weekend and see see how how. Will eventually find a way to hide the filter from view. I assume placing the canister below will also reduce flow?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all!

Back with some updates. Managed to get one monte carlo pot n surprised by uh.. how much is actually in that pot.

Planted 'em and then... poured some soil over to weigh some of the roots down because they seem to keep getting dislodged with the granula soil (ANS Planta as ADA was out of stock. It is super non-cloudy tho! Proof as I had to keep going into the water to push down the plants).

It's okay if leaves are covered so long as roots are in... right? I think in some areas there might be abt 0.5cm to 1cm of soil over the leaves. Eventually the plant will push thru the soil?

-Lights are Up Aqua ET series. Only a bit meh tt the plug requires adapter. Very bright otherwise.
    -Using Gush nano co2 bulb, and Borneo Wild indicator fluid.
    -Ista Filter is almost soundless. Quite powerful as well! There's this very light piece of soil that is currently circling my tank.

Now to wait 3 weeks

Also I got a piece of wood but it isn't sinking. I am boiling it now... but should I wait for the carpet to take before attempting to place it in? I am still terrified of the white fungus but I do want to place cherries inside eventually... and the wood makes for better shelter than rocks.

Hi all!

Back with some updates. Managed to get one monte carlo pot n surprised by uh.. how much is actually in that pot.

Planted 'em and then... poured some soil over to weigh some of the roots down because they seem to keep getting dislodged with the granula soil (ANS Planta as ADA was out of stock. It is super non-cloudy tho! Proof as I had to keep going into the water to push down the plants).

It's okay if leaves are covered so long as roots are in... right? I think in some areas there might be abt 0.5cm to 1cm of soil over the leaves. Eventually the plant will push thru the soil?

-Lights are Up Aqua ET series. Only a bit meh tt the plug requires adapter. Very bright otherwise.
    -Using Gush nano co2 bulb, and Borneo Wild indicator fluid.
    -Ista Filter is almost soundless. Quite powerful as well! There's this very light piece of soil that is currently circling my tank.

Now to wait 3 weeks

Also I got a piece of wood but it isn't sinking. I am boiling it now... but should I wait for the carpet to take before attempting to place it in? I am still terrified of the white fungus but I do want to place cherries inside eventually... and the wood makes for better shelter than rocks.
    Your set up looks so good with that compact external filter and pipes.

I have a current project with a similar sized tank and I'm now thinking if I should change my filter too.

Damn it! Must... resist... temptation...

By the way, your filter is similar to the Shiruba XB-303 or AZOO External Power Filter, right?

I'm just wondering what kind of outlet pipes it originally came with and how it looks like.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Rezdwan

Yes bro! Similar to Shiruba XB-303. In fact I wouldn't be surprised it is all from the same factory. Some of the boxes the images are the same... down to the placement of biofilters xD

Outlet pipes are the rubber hoses, bit dark coloured. It also comes with HOB kit

They say it can't pump more than a height of 2 feet but I don't know if mine does because of the smaller hosing later on (borneo wild). The set up as a whole looks like this right now, and you can see the original hosing near the bottom.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Here's another shot of the original hosing adapted to the narrower BW tubes (the glass adapters are so expensive...)

@Rezdwan

Yes bro! Similar to Shiruba XB-303. In fact I wouldn't be surprised it is all from the same factory. Some of the boxes the images are the same... down to the placement of biofilters xD

Outlet pipes are the rubber hoses, bit dark coloured. It also comes with HOB kit

They say it can't pump more than a height of 2 feet but I don't know if mine does because of the smaller hosing later on (borneo wild). The set up as a whole looks like this right now, and you can see the original hosing near the bottom.

Thanks for taking the time to take and post these photos. Very much appreciated!

Yeah, I guess you can think of it as house brand filters. Mass produced by one factory and companies like ISTA, AZOO and Shiruba orders them and just slapped their logos on it. Doesn't really matter as long as it makes the product cheaper and it works, right?

If I were to get any one of these, I'm thinking of putting it just beside the tank itself (because there is enough space for it) but that will break the aesthetic that I'm going for in my set up. Does it work well for you after putting the filter way down at the lowest level of your rack?

By the way, the BorneoWild Switch Glass you got for connecting your hoses looks damn good too. I assume you bought it from Green Chapter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@rezdwan

It works too well almost. I have to keep the water line relatively close to the output or else it will result in too much surface agitation. Flow is good.. I can see particles circling down to bed and to the far side of the tank.

I might install taps but still undecided. Don't have much room to manoeveur with my set up unless i place the filter on the floor.

BW goods from GC, yup (:

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Forgot to ask you, schwip.

Why is the water level below the lily pipe and what is the C0₂ checker for?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rezdwan
    Forgot to ask you, schwip.

Why is the water level below the lily pipe and what is the C0₂ checker for?
    Hi rezdwan, water level is below the lily pipe so that there is some surface agitation for oxygen... cos eventually wanna intro shrimps in there. It helps a bit with temperature also I think!

Co2 checker is also for the same reason eventually (since there would still be dissolved Co2 from organisms' expiration). Also pretty? Hahaha. I use liquid carbon though, which should not affect the checker's readings.

Hi rezdwan, water level is below the lily pipe so that there is some surface agitation for oxygen... cos eventually wanna intro shrimps in there. It helps a bit with temperature also I think!

Co2 checker is also for the same reason eventually (since there would still be dissolved Co2 from organisms' expiration). Also pretty? Hahaha. I use liquid carbon though, which should not affect the checker's readings.
    Alright, schwip.

I understand what you're trying to achieve now that you have explained it to me.

All the best and keep the updates coming. I'll be following this thread.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cheers man! I'm following yours too. Best to ya!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

looking good !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bosacheng View Post
    looking good !
    Thanks!

One week in and the older leaves are melting but there are a lot of young leaves growing in their place. Which I take as progress hahah.

In some places the roots seem to be pushing above the substrate or are becoming slowly exposed though... does that mean I didn't plant deep enough? There was one such plantlet where I poked at it a bit and it became uprooted, but I realised it was already sending other roots down into the substrate. I replanted it somewhere else in the tank. For the exposed roots, will they just shrivel off at some point?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

think the placement of the canister might be too low , surprised it can pump up the water

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    think the placement of the canister might be too low , surprised it can pump up the water
    Surprised too but yes water flow is quite alright ahaha!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Progress! Top pic was on day 2, bottom pic is about day 12.

On the 2nd day the water went milky for a bit but cleared up shortly after. Was that the bacterial bloom? And is it meant to go away so soon? My ammonia levels are still high. Should I try to intro one of those bio balls?

The plants seem to be okay though, so far.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast