Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginner: planted nano tank with eventual shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hey Schwip! nice drift wood as the centre piece!

I used a timer switch socket to set my led timing to 3 hr morning.. 3 hr night.. so I can view them before I go work and after I'm back from work =)

had some algae growth on my glass, but I should be leaving it alone first hoping that it can be a food source for the shrimps!

when would be u doing your next water parameter test?=D

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@imtai thks!
    Yes I need to get a timer soon! I go for 4 hrs minimum since I have more plants and they need some time to really get into the photosynthesizing.

I think if you don't have a lot of plants... the photoperiod will just keep benefiting the algae.

I am also considering getting the up aqua z series lights but positioning it higher above the tank, where my shelf frame has a little cross beam. Undecided though. It would be about 45 cm from the base of the tank at that level.

As for water parameters... definitely another test by day 28 (at the end of photoperiod). May get itchy hands and do an earlier one of just ammonia though hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...d.php?t=103977

Throwing this for own reference here. Based on what Urban said before, the current ET series is similar to the Z series then. So Z series now should be... even more powerful xD.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by schwip View Post
    With regards to light cycle: some days I go for 8 hours, some days 12. Some days I start at 8am... some days at 1pm... some days maybe through the night. I also dose Excel when I start the lights for the day, to encourage the plants to take up the nitrogen in photosynthesis versus other organisms.

I think because you are using soil and your tank isn't heavily planted... the algae might be the ones using up the nitrogen in the water. Are you lowering your lights duration?

I've actually got some white fungus/bacteria/algae (online threads generally label it harmless and "will go away eventually) that is on some of my substrate. It is similar to the white slime I described on the wood. I am choosing not to worry too much and hope it doesn't take over before it is safe to introduce the shrimps.

I also have some growth occuring in my tubing, but it is not compromising flow at the moment so I am not too concerned. It looks more like bacterial slime at the mo.

Thanks about the wood! Terrified that I will have slime outbreak once it is introduced but what is life without risk.

Hey, schwip.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, an irregular photoperiod will cause more algae outbreak because you're throwing your plants off their rhythm, so called.

That's why everyone suggests and uses a timer for their lighting to make sure there are proper timing and constant duration for the plants to receive light.

Can you point me to any discussions, links and etc. that says the contrary? Would love to do more research on this subject to find a long term solution.

Thanks in advance.
    My name is Mohammed Rezdwan bin Abdul Hamid but you can call me Wan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry man, I didn't save the link. I am pretty sure it was one of the threads here. But the logic was that plants have more stored nutrients so they would be okay the most part waiting for light availibility, similar to a blackout.

Shrimp do need a regular light cycle though, or they will get stressed otherwise.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345