Singapore

Newbie needs advice

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi brothers and sisters,

I am staying at the East (Bedok).
    Any LFS or Shrimp shops to visit and see what I can start with?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie needs advice

You can check out the sponsors of this forum (ie Green Chapter, East Ocean, Fishy Business etc). Just take note Fishy Business changed place (near Kembangan) - you can find the new address on their Facebook. The other ones are Aquatic Avenue (near Redhill Mrt), C328 (near Clementi MRT) and Seaview (Seletar).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks. Will explore these shops.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rewere View Post
    Hi brothers and sisters,

I am staying at the East (Bedok).
    Any LFS or Shrimp shops to visit and see what I can start with?

Thanks.
    what do you want?,,purely planted?aquascaping?mix with fishes or just shrimp tank?and what size of tank you're looking at?you need to ask yourself these questions so that the pro's here can understand better.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gabdat View Post
    what do you want?,,purely planted?aquascaping?mix with fishes or just shrimp tank?and what size of tank you're looking at?you need to ask yourself these questions so that the pro's here can understand better.
    Thanks.
    would like to have a planted tank with both fish and shrimps. Do I need to get a chiller? the size for the tank should be either a cube or 2ft tank with external canister filter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you're thinking of only shrimps like sakura and low grade crs chiller is not a must. If you're looking into high grade crs then chiller is recommended.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ciaossu View Post
    If you're thinking of only shrimps like sakura and low grade crs chiller is not a must. If you're looking into high grade crs then chiller is recommended.

thanks for the advise. how's the setup with high grade shrimps? cant really find much info as in tank setup, lights, etc

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rewere View Post
    thanks for the advise. how's the setup with high grade shrimps? cant really find much info as in tank setup, lights, etc
    Hi rewere,you may wish to start with low grade shrimp (neocardina such as cherry,Sakura,fire red are the most common) as they are less damaging to the wallet.

As for setup, higher grade shrimp are almost the same as lower grade shrimp,except they are very sensitive towards TDS and water temperature. Most higher grade shrimp I think need TDS around 80 to 180 and temperature of 26 degrees. Most higher grade shrimp keepers may opt to use RO/DI water,which is basically pure water. There are products which can be used on the pure water to remineralized for shrimp keeping.

I am still learning with fire red shrimps so I may not be 100% correct. Look around the forum and you can see many threads on keeping CRS and they share on information about their setup.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there i live near bedok as well. Just started up a low tech tank. I usually drop by the 2 LFS at bedok north blk 416. For shrimps i have some cherrys from marine parade.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There are a few shops that i am frequent at the east side...
    Kohaku aquarium blk 416 bedok north ave 2.
    Superstar aquarium blk 481 Tampines st 44 #01-269
    K&K aquarium blk 201d Tampines st21 #01-1145
    Crs haven blk 477 tampines st43 #01-158a

the last two addresses, price wise might not be favorable,just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you bro.

Quote Originally Posted by AQMS View Post
    There are a few shops that i am frequent at the east side...
    Kohaku aquarium blk 416 bedok north ave 2.
    Superstar aquarium blk 481 Tampines st 44 #01-269
    K&K aquarium blk 201d Tampines st21 #01-1145
    Crs haven blk 477 tampines st43 #01-158a

the last two addresses, price wise might not be favorable,just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

​if you wanna get some good and friendly advise from LFS,my experience is fishy business(look for roger) or sunpets(rocky).both friendly and knowledgeable

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wad is the minimum requirement for the tank size.. if I'm looking at starring a red cherry shrimp tank =)

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by imtai View Post
    wad is the minimum requirement for the tank size.. if I'm looking at starring a red cherry shrimp tank =)

The larger the tank size, the more stable it is against sudden changes in water parameters. Get the largest tank you can get for your budget?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    The larger the tank size, the more stable it is against sudden changes in water parameters. Get the largest tank you can get for your budget?
    ohhh.. I was still thinking to gt those small cube shaped tank.. =× not advisable I guess since I'm really a beginner. don't wish to kill them..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You can; but it could be a steeper learning curve with multiple failed learning experiences which will, in due time, make you a better fishkeeper/aquascaper/aquarist.

Or give up totally, like many who trodded on the newbie nano journey before.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For beginners to get their feet wet, nothing can be better than a $2 packet of mixed platys or guppies, or even small goldfish.
    The idea is to keep them thriving for at least 6 months to a year. If the hobbyist can manage to keep them thriving for that long, it shows he has a flair for it, but not before.
    But usually, in most cases, beginner hobbyists like to start with exotic and expensive stuff such as beautiful Rams, Discus, or even buy a costly Arowana or fancy shrimps. Plus, they will invest heavily in equipment instead of going with simplicity at the start. To avoid wasting money, it is best to master the basics first before embarking on ambitious projects, bearing in mind that a fish tank should be a permanent part of a hobbyist's life, not a passing indulgence.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well said by Tetrakid for advice and to answer your question, there's a new LFS along Changi road near to Eunos MRT that just opened, they also have one in Yishun 618 called 'that aquarium'. Can check that place outings tear of heading to Y618