Feedback Score
    Country
    Turkey

Hi to All from Turkey.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am Kerim. I am interested in planted aquariums and breeding some big ear guppy. I have 100cmX50cmx45cm-h planted aquarium. I am trying a Dutch design. I hope I can learn from you all about the planted tanks.

Thank you..

Here is a pic of my tank. I would like to hear your suggestions..
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...0syWTdCbTZianM
    Kerim UNAL
    Turkey

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hi to All from Turkey.

Hello Kerim , welcome to AQ !

Thats a well planted tank , the tank is full of plants ! Do you need the aerator ? Plants do require co2 more than air during photosynthesis . You might use the aerator at night when the lights is off and photosynthesis is not happening .

Hope this helps !
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice to have you here, Kerim. Nice system you have there.

@BFG

I do observe that the plants in Kerim's tank look to be doing fine without the bother of additional equipment other than an aerator.

Personally I like the idea of an aerator, as it not only ensures more oxygen enrichment, but also helps with CO2 too. I suspect his plants are doing so well because of the aerator. In any case, the plants themselves would have released copious amounts of C02 into the water during the hours of darkness and which would be up taken by the plants during the day in light.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 11th Nov 2016 at 21:01.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Turkey

Hi Mohamad and Tetrakid.

Thank you for your comments.
    Yes, I am using the airator only at nights or when the lights are off. I took the picture at night and that's why the airator is on. I belive O2 helps prevent the algae issue. I use LED custommade LED lights (3x24 watt). At the beginnign of the setup, I had some issues with the hair algae (still I have some). Yet with the help of the O2, I managed to control it.
    Kerim UNAL
    Turkey

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Kerim,

I am very impressed with your tank. It is more like a water garden, with so many healthy and luscious plants thriving in it. Fantastic! You have my full respect. If I am going for plenty of plants, that is the way I would prefer to do it too.

In our part of the world, somehow it is very common to find most aquarists acquiring expensive CO2 equipment thinking that that is the only way to have a fantastic aquarium. I believe that mindset is hard to change. The sad thing is that added CO2 gives rise to complications in fish and other living organisms in the tank, whereas added oxygen can only benefit all, whether day or night.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 12th Nov 2016 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by KERIMUNAL View Post
    I am Kerim. I am interested in planted aquariums and breeding some big ear guppy. ..
    I also like to look for big ear guppies. That is the only type of guppies I am interested in. Hope I can find a LFS selling them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Turkey

Thank you Tetrakid for your compliments.

Yeş, I totally agree with you about the negative consequesnces of CO2 in planted tanks not only on fish, shrips, snails and bacteria but also on the water quality. By using O2 with CO2 in a balanced way helps to create real-like environment for the life cycle.

I have these big ear guppies for about 3 months now. I have about 50 juveniles and 8 breeding pairs. I am hoping to make a big colony when the summer comes. After breeding enough amount of guppies, I am planning to crossbreed to have different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Hi Kerim,

I am very impressed with your tank. It is more like a water garden, with so many healthy and luscious plants thriving in it. Fantastic! You have my full respect. If I am going for plenty of plants, that is the way I would prefer to do it too.

In our part of the world, somehow it is very common to find most aquarists acquiring expensive CO2 equipment thinking that that is the only way to have a fantastic aquarium. I believe that mindset is hard to change. The sad thing is that added CO2 gives rise to complications in fish and other living organisms in the tank, whereas added oxygen can only benefit all, whether day or night.
    Kerim UNAL
    Turkey

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@Kerim

Hope you can show some images of your big ear guppies. I luv big ear guppies. Whenever I buy guppies, I always go for big ear guppies only.