Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Fish Calculator said my tank is seriously overstocked!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

Fish Calculator said my tank is seriously overstocked!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi! I'm new to the fish community and I recently got my first male betta and he seemed really lonely in his 5g Fluval Chi tank. When I went to the pet store I got one golden algae eater he's very small, and 7 male guppies. I change the water 25% every week and rinse the filter in the old aquarium water every 2 weeks and change the filter pad every month. The fish store said that it was fine but to get no more. My fish look very happy and none seem to be fighting or agressive with one another. Am I harbouring too many fishes in one tank or am I okay ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fish Calculator said my tank is seriously overstocked!

Basically, it doesn't matter how many fish you keep. What is important is to be able to maintain the water in a clean and livable condition.

Naturally, if you have more fish, the task of maintaining the water in tip-top condition for health is more demanding of you as a 'care-giver' and which also require effective bio-filters eg a sump or big canister filter or filters.

Thus, less fish often means less demanding maintenance.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

I ended up getting rid of the guppies my betta now has ick I got some meds for it but it isn't looking too good for him.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Try salt, it's effective against white spot disease. I teaspoon per 4L of water should work. Good luck!

A general thumb rule for stocking fish is one inch per gallon (approx 4L). Overcrowding tends to lead to diseases as the water gets dirty faster due to higher bio loads and also fish tends to fight over space. Yes, fish needs their personal space too, if not they will get stressed as well

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Infinicat, I just realised you are from Canada and the water temperature there usually is cold. Raising the water temperature gradually to around 25-28 degree Celsius may help to speed up the treatment together with salt. Hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

Yes I added some aquarium salt but also added the marineland Ick remedy. I'm not sure of both should be used together. I also have a heater but it keeps the temperature at 25 degrees Celsius only. I'm just worried because there's pinholes starting to form on his tail. But thank you so much for the advice !