Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Culturing infusoria.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi my ram just laid eggs and i read that i should feed them infusoria once they are free swimming. However, there are too many "recipes" online on culturing infusoria. Which method of culturing infusoria is the fastest and most efficient way to culture it?
    Thks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Culturing infusoria.

I used Interpet Liquifry No 1, works well for me. Does not hurt the wallet and works really well and will not need green water

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ya but i read that liquifry only feeds the infusoria in the tank to increase its numbers. Just wanted to culture my own

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Liquifry is cleaner and a ready option compared to the self culture broth I find. But culturing your own is always more fun.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh i see...... But guppendler, did you culture your infusoria before

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I never really bother because of Liquifry but I do have access to green water. A tube of Liquifry is so plentiful so I do introduce some Liquifry into my green water tanks just for the fun of it. Infusoria is only good for the egg layer fry during their first few days after hatching or up to a week. After that you will need to find other food source like Daphnias, finely chopped up tubifex, baby brine shrimps...etc.

I am now mainly keeping and breeding endler/guppies and I can vouch for it that those fish that I maintained in green water tanks grows faster, fall sick lesser and have deeper coloration.

So to answer your question, I guess technically I do culture infusoria though not in quite a deliberate manner

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, I did raise goldfish and angel fish fry successfully on Liquifry when I was in my secondary school days

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow cool

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Gareth

I have never purposely cultured infusoria (various micro-organisms). Usually my fry grow up in very mature and well-planted tanks, so they feed off of naturally occurring creatures in their early life.

I sometimes try to feed the naturally occurring infusoria in my daphnia culture bins, and for that I use Liquifry No. 1. So far it seems to work - either the daphnia eat the Liquifry, or they eat the infusoria that eats the Liquifry. In any case, the Liquifry bottle does say that it is food for infusoria, doesn't it?

For deliberate culture of infusoria using Liquifry, this looks like a good reference (last post of the thread). It's also a workflow that seems very hassle-free for aquarists.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Feedback Score

Where can I buy Liquifry 1? I use to have them in the past but the LFS which I use to get them from has closed down.
    Hi! I am Ishykiel and I Breed Fancy Guppies for Fun.
    I would like to hear your thoughts of my Guppies at www.GuppyBlog.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Lithuania

Infusoria can be cultured outside. You need warm water 22-27C, sun light, and some time. Microscope is very usefull for first few days. Because you need to introduce first culture, later microscope is useless. When culture is fully established and you can easily see under a light source, moving paramecum(infusoria). Where to find starter culture? Easy. You got it already in your fish tank. Take your suction pipe(which is used to aquarium) and clean some gravel near plants. Infusoria tend to eat near plants cause of algea and stuff stuck to the leaves. If you got microscope take it to pettri dish, put some drops and look. If there is swiming infusoria,(egg shaped, dot) put that water with those few infusorias to clean bucket or something. And for starter food you can use yeast, straw, bannana peel(dryed to black color). After 1 week, bucket water will be filled with infusorias, try to avoid rooten smell of culture. It should smell very sweet, and light brownish water color. Infusoria culture will colapse cause of many factors that cannot be controlled in small bucket, so split culture every week so you will be ready to give to fish fry.

We have grown rotifiers, infusorias, fairy shrimps and etc. Easiest is infusoria, but if you go mega scale growing you can grow 2kg/day rotifiers in 10m3 water tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

where do you get your rotifers from?