Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The worst thing about DSM is all the waiting, I have read about people giving up halfway & flooding the tank.
    I growth seem much slowly so I did some photo comparison from pic taken abt 2 weeks ago

Grass looks like it's growing, but not much of a carpet

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am planning to run DSM for another 2-3 weeks & after that fill up the tank & run Co2.
    I would need a Co2 drop checker.

I have been reading about it in the forum, i need some help from experts out here .

Which type of solution should I get ?

My local shop sells ANS brand but I read those need to add 4dkh. anyone knows where to get that? Saw online videos of how to make it, but seems too troublesome.

I read that Ocean Free brand sells premixed type. Need to find if other LFS has it but premixed means need to fill up the whole checker with it. Which means the solution won't last very long.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well, whether you do DSM or flooded method... both still have to wait for the plants to grow out. Patience is one of the core requirements of a planted tank keeper.

Most carpet plants will usually spend the first 1-2 weeks adapting and establishing roots, so there may not be much visible progress in terms of growth on top. Once the roots are established, then they will start growing much faster.

Do note that in your case, you sprayed excel on the exposed hairgrass during the initial period, which likely caused some damage to the plants, so they might also need extra time to recover too.

Anyways, the main advantage of DSM is that you can blast as much light as you want to speed up growth (go for >14 hours per day for best results), and yet not have to worry about Co2 and algae. If you were to flood the tank, then you will need to pump in lots of CO2, do water changes to control excess nutrients in the water column and tackle algae issues due to the initial low plant density and excess light. Its just more things to take care of.

You can flood the tank at anytime though, just have to manage all those additional factors accordingly.

As for the drop checker, just get the pre-mixed version from the ISTA or Ocean Free brand. You only need to fill the drop checker with around 1ml of indicator solution, not the entire bottle (the drop checkers have very small volumes). Usually i only change the indicator liquid every 5-6 months, or when it evaporates over time. So a 10ml bottle of the pre-mixed indicator solution can last for a few years of usage (i'm still using the first bottle i got).
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 29th Dec 2016 at 22:36.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA for replying.

Yup i agree DSM or flood method, we still have to wait. But once the tank is filled with water & cycled can add fishes, so there is no hurry for the plants to grow compared to DSM where i watch the empty tank every day... ha ha.
    Anyway, I am planning to continue for 2 more weeks of DSM, give the hairgrass more time to get their roots in. Meanwhile i will get all the things needed once the tank is filled with water.

Yes the original blades of grass did dry off, i am not really sure if its cause of immersed it ( in the LFS tanks the grass was in submersed state) or it could be cause of spraying excel , like what you mentioned.

Regarding the Drop checker, i think ISTA uses those small plastic ones. Does those have a higher chance of spilling or leaking as compared to the glass type?

Hi sanjaypills, I going through same feeling as you now. I started dsm tank 2 weeks. And now just wait...zzz. Compared to submerse method, this method is totally fuss free at least so far. I am prepared to keep my itchy hands off for 6 weeks.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaypills55 View Post
    Regarding the Drop checker, i think ISTA uses those small plastic ones. Does those have a higher chance of spilling or leaking as compared to the glass type?
    The plastic ones work the same, but they have a transparent cap and rubber seal design, so just have to make sure its fixed properly to avoid leaks.

The single piece glass ones don't have potential issues with rubber seals so they could be considered having less chances of leaks, though if they drop inside the tank, the indicator solution will still spill out, so have to secure them properly with the suction cups.

Another alternative is to look at the hang on glass drop checkers, they hook on the tank glass with the indicator part outside of the tank, these ones will eliminate most issues with leaks or spillage.

Looks like this:

Photo from Google Images.

Can order them from online sites or bought at most LFS. I use them in all my tanks nowadays.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by golfball View Post
    Hi sanjaypills, I going through same feeling as you now. I started dsm tank 2 weeks. And now just wait...zzz. Compared to submerse method, this method is totally fuss free at least so far. I am prepared to keep my itchy hands off for 6 weeks.

Hi golfball,
    Good to know i am not the only one controlling my itchy hands...ha ha
    Why not record your experience in a journal, its always nice to share & learn together

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The plastic ones work the same, but they have a transparent cap and rubber seal design, so just have to make sure its fixed properly to avoid leaks.

The single piece glass ones don't have potential issues with rubber seals so they could be considered having less chances of leaks, though if they drop inside the tank, the indicator solution will still spill out, so have to secure them properly with the suction cups.

Another alternative is to look at the hang on glass drop checkers, they hook on the tank glass with the indicator part outside of the tank, these ones will eliminate most issues with leaks or spillage.

Looks like this:

Photo from Google Images.

Can order them from online sites or bought at most LFS. I use them in all my tanks nowadays.
    Correct me if i am wrong.
    The glass type drop checker looks much bigger, so needs the type of solution where we need to add 4 DKH.
    That seems more troublesome. Does our LFS sell 4dkh ?

The premixed solution is used in a smaller plastic type of drop checker.

The hang on type may not be ideal for me since i am planning to use an atomizer & the tiny co2 bubbles (mist) from the lily pipes may give a false reading.

In tank ones can be placed lower away from the flow & mist

I think the ISTA or OF premixed type is better , less variables, more reliable

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Congratulations on the set up, very good looking tank you got there. I'm staying in Serangoon area and the LFS near by at Serangoon north does sell the solution. Other than that, I seldom see any at others. That jet drop checker is actually very small, about 5cm Long, check the one from Gush. I use that with a premixed solution, and only change the solution every 1 and half to 2 months.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank Danny
    I ordered Ista drop checker from eBay & also ordered a cheap glass checker without the solution. Will try it out once it arrives

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Correct me if i am wrong.
    The glass type drop checker looks much bigger, so needs the type of solution where we need to add 4 DKH.
    That seems more troublesome. Does our LFS sell 4dkh ?

The premixed solution is used in a smaller plastic type of drop checker.
    I've used all of those various types of drop checkers and the volume of the indicator sections are around the same, just different shapes. They all still tend to contain the same volume of solution.

Some LFS do sell 4dkh reference solution in bottles, or you can mix it yourself using baking soda + distilled water (need to do some ratio calculations and do mixings like a bartender). Still much easier to just get pre-mixed indicator solution though, the results will be more consistent too, no risk of mixing wrongly.

The hang on type may not be ideal for me since i am planning to use an atomizer & the tiny co2 bubbles (mist) from the lily pipes may give a false reading.

In tank ones can be placed lower away from the flow & mist
    What i usually do is hang the drop checker on the glass just next to the outflow pipe, that places it right behind the outflow at the top which is the lowest flow area. Thats also the last place any Co2 bubbles or Co2 enriched water will reach too. So it sort of tracks the fully dissolved Co2 levels of the tank at that point. So far that positioning has worked well for all my setups.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA for the tips.
    Read your blog, very impressed scaping.

Since I have already ordered the in tank drop checker...let me give that a try first.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Got my co2 checker by mail.
    Tomorrow will flood the tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

After half a day of setting up, here is the end result

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Disappointed with inline CO2 diffuser

It's causing a lot of unsightly micro bubbles in my tank. Causing a sprite effect

Now I think should have gone for an external reactor

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's causing a lot of unsightly micro bubbles in my tank. Causing a sprite effect

For planted tank, I would rather have and see CO2 micro bubbles than no bubbles at all. Better to be able to see the flow and detect any dead spots to rectify before algae problems set in.

Your water doesn't look clear from previous post. How's your lighting and lighting hours like?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    For planted tank, I would rather have and see CO2 micro bubbles than no bubbles at all. Better to be able to see the flow and detect any dead spots to rectify before algae problems set in.

Your water doesn't look clear from previous post. How's your lighting and lighting hours like?
    The tank was just filled up yesterday & still cycling...so once the bacteria colony forms the water should look cleaner...
    but the with micro bubbles the tank will never look clear.

Isn't dissolved co2 better for the plants than micro bubbles?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The tank was just filled up yesterday & still cycling...so once the bacteria colony forms the water should look cleaner...
    but the with micro bubbles the tank will never look clear.

Isn't dissolved co2 better for the plants than micro bubbles?

My understanding is the bubble should hit the leaves for gaseous exchange to occur at the stomatal area at the lower epidermis of the leaves; hence the micro bubble productions of most CO2 diffuser and reactors.

Perhaps you could research more for our communal benefit; there could be several theories as in all things in life.
    Last edited by aza; 15th Jan 2017 at 18:13. Reason: Spelling

Hi sanjaypills, I am also not a fan of the in line diffuser as I find the sprite effect almost cloudy. I tried reactor and already gave up due as it gets dirty easily and troublesome to remove and clean. I am now back to glass ceramic diffusers. You can try and see if it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by golfball View Post
    Hi sanjaypills, I am also not a fan of the in line diffuser as I find the sprite effect almost cloudy. I tried reactor and already gave up due as it gets dirty easily and troublesome to remove and clean. I am now back to glass ceramic diffusers. You can try and see if it works for you.

Note that reactors will also reduce your filter flow rate somewhat.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast