Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 107

Thread: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,542
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaypills55 View Post
    I don't see much hair algae. It's just the weed all between the hair grass...I tried pulling out manually, but I just end up pulling out all the hair grass as well.
    Few weeks ago I trimmed all the hair grass hoping I can get all the weed out...the hair grass grew back & the weed grew even faster.
    Restarting the tank seems the best option, since nothing else seems to work.
    It's just a lot of work transferring the live stock drying the ADA substrate & replanting new bunch of hair grass

    Fyi: I got my hairgrass from That aquarium, Y618. Later I got Christmas moss Matt from nanyang. Not sure where I got the weed from

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Drying the ADA substrate is going to be tricky. It may not fully dry up and I believe the weed can also be grown in emersed form. There is also a question of dust settling on the substrate if you air it in the tank and mold if it doesn't dry up fast.

    Live stock transferring is more work as oppose to replanting the new hair grass. I think your 2FT tank will fill up in less than 2 months.

    By the way, since you have both moss + hair grass in the tank, to eliminate the weed, you probably wouldn't be able to use the Christmas moss as well. Also hot water soak your drift wood while you are at it.

    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    721
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    In fact, my tank got the same kind of weed which I believe it is Ricca flutans. At first, I also tried to get rid of it.
    However, later on, I can see it can create an interesting carpet, which is very natural. So I just leave it as it is and trim it as I trim carpet grass.

    Somehow, I like seeing the plants compete to each other and see the way it grows. Then I will have better idea for my next scape on what plants to choose.
    My Planted Tank Journal: litiaquaria.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel on Planted Tank: YouTube . Please subscribe!

  3. #83
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    109
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions & comments. Yes it's a variation of riccia.
    They grow much faster than Hairgrass.

    I have restarted the tank.. It was really messy removing the old ADA & drying it...so I just threw it away & bought another 9L bag. Boiled all the hardscape & started with new batch of Hairgrass


    It will be dry start again, but I only plan to keep it about 2 weeks till the hair grass takes root.
    Will update the progress


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sanjaypills55; 17th Sep 2017 at 17:45.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaypills55 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions & comments. Yes it's a variation of riccia.
    They grow much faster than Hairgrass.

    I have restarted the tank.. It was really messy removing the old ADA & drying it...so I just threw it away & bought another 9L bag. Boiled all the hardscape & started with new batch of Hairgrass


    It will be dry start again, but I only plan to keep it about 2 weeks till the hair grass takes root.
    Will update the progress


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Bro, did u use back the old hairgrass? Did you trim it before planting? What type of Ada u are using? All Powder or mix? All the best for your new set up. Waiting to see a nice green carpet again


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,542
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by KopiC View Post
    Bro, did u use back the old hairgrass? Did you trim it before planting? What type of Ada u are using? All Powder or mix? All the best for your new set up. Waiting to see a nice green carpet again
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bro Kopi, you do not need to trim the hair grass when planting during DSM or when planting new. You only need to trim if it has already establishes itself and grows too thick.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Bro Kopi, you do not need to trim the hair grass when planting during DSM or when planting new. You only need to trim if it has already establishes itself and grows too thick.
    Haha. No wonder my hairgrass grow so slow. I follow YouTube and trim them before planting. During dry start, need CO2 also? Or dun even need it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    721
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by KopiC View Post
    Haha. No wonder my hairgrass grow so slow. I follow YouTube and trim them before planting. During dry start, need CO2 also? Or dun even need it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is plenty of CO2 in the air, so it is not necessary to inject more CO2 during dry start period.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Planted Tank Journal: litiaquaria.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel on Planted Tank: YouTube . Please subscribe!

  8. #88
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    109
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    I started with new batch of Hairgrass, as the old one maybe contamination with the weed...don't wanna take chances.
    I used ADA powder type 9L

    Yes I didn't trim the Hairgrass. Once it grows can trim but encourage runners.

    I plan to only keep about 2 weeks till the Hairgrass takes root, so they don't float up. I feel the Hairgrass grows quite quickly even if it's submerged state (underwater) if you provide enough fertilizer & Co2.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    United States

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    I used to convince my partner to remove rucci fluitans but I read about it and discovered it's benefits here >>>> http://www.fishforums.net/threads/ricca-fluitans.56434/
    ___________________________________________________________
    Towing Fairfax


  10. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,542
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by alexbrown View Post
    I used to convince my partner to remove rucci fluitans but I read about it and discovered it's benefits here >>>> http://www.fishforums.net/threads/ricca-fluitans.56434/
    ___________________________________________________________
    Towing Fairfax
    There is only 3 post in that thread and other than the uptake nitrates, there is NO BENEFIT of riccia F, it's a weed for some hobbyist. Just google Riccia Nightmare and you get lots of hits on the internet.

    Floaters and stem plants are better at nitrate uptakes.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,542
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaypills55 View Post
    I started with new batch of Hairgrass, as the old one maybe contamination with the weed...don't wanna take chances.
    I used ADA powder type 9L

    Yes I didn't trim the Hairgrass. Once it grows can trim but encourage runners.

    I plan to only keep about 2 weeks till the Hairgrass takes root, so they don't float up. I feel the Hairgrass grows quite quickly even if it's submerged state (underwater) if you provide enough fertilizer & Co2.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Yes they grow fast with medium light intensity (no need high light) with co2 + good ferts + rich substrate.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,665
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    I like the way how riccia bubbles..
    hope I can get my hands on some of them again...

  13. #93
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    109
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    I agree with Torque...
    They grow like weed..& once they get entangle with hairgrass...its a nightmare trying to remove them

  14. #94
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    109
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    After almost 2 weeks, filled the tank with water using airline tube


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  15. #95
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    109
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Livestock in

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,542
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaypills55 View Post
    Livestock in
    Hello again, are you using hair grass from Tropica?

  17. #97
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    109
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Hi
    No, just regular Hairgrass from my LFS @Y618

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,542
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaypills55 View Post
    Hi
    No, just regular Hairgrass from my LFS @Y618

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Oh ok. I thought you were going to get the Tropica tissue cultures (same as mine) to avoid riccia in your HG. No wonder they look different.

    Your cardinal tetra looks small in your 2FT tank. Those aren't the usual XL size ones right?

  19. #99
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    109
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Oh ok. I thought you were going to get the Tropica tissue cultures (same as mine) to avoid riccia in your HG. No wonder they look different.

    Your cardinal tetra looks small in your 2FT tank. Those aren't the usual XL size ones right?
    Maybe should have used tissue culture to avoid pest plants...

    Hopefully the riccia doesn't come back this time

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  20. #100
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    109
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

    Added a Java moss back wall

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •