Country
    Singapore

Cyanobacteria Infestation in my tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi peeps of AQ,

recently i started a scape on my 3ft 90x45x45cm tank.

Face quite a number of challenges at the first month -

I had midget flies laying eggs, and i didn't knew until i saw bloodworms popping out of my substrate..

Thanks to @UA - introduced the midgex that seem to have worked to kill off the bloodworms.

I'm facing a Cyanobacteria issue here. It kind of stinks and i figured the cyanobacteria was probably living on the driftwood (because it had the same scent of smell when i first got it)

The cyanobacteria in turn would create BGA, you can see some on the moss, and now they seem to have harden the substrate too.

I was recommended by Y618 to try Chemiclean - which i have 4 days ago.

15 dec - just did a 70% water change and dose chemiclean again.

Anyone have successfully eradicate cyanobacteria before?

Open to hear some solutions you have

Have a great weekend!

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cyanobacteria Infestation in my tank

Hydrogen peroxide spot treatment kept the BGA at bay for my tank. But they will return a few weeks later unless you do a blackout for a few days. From my limited experience though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've treated BGA with the following:
    - Remove as much BGA physically as you can
    - Clean the tank. Give the substrate a good vacuum, clean the tubes and filters. I think BGA trives in dirty tanks with high levels of dissolved organics
    - Water change more often
    - Some say BGA is caused by nitrogen limitation, but from my experience increasing NO3 alone will not make BGA go away, it's more of bringing the plants to good health by non-limiting nutrients so that they can outcompete the nasties
    - I've used Easylife Blue-Exit with great success. It's inexpensive and easy to dose. Follow the recommended treatment and have patience. Took me about 3 weeks to completely rid BGA from my tank. Get the small bottle. https://easylife.nl/en/freshwater/algae-cyano/blue-exit
    - A faster (more expensive) way is to use API ERYTHROMYCIN. It's an anti-biotics and it works. http://www.apifishcare.com/product.p...1#.WFOy0ned4UE
    - Blackout works but expect collateral damage, I'd avoid this route
    - Unless you keep up with maintenance and ensure tank cleanness, BGA is going to come back

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Choo View Post
    I've treated BGA with the following:
    - Remove as much BGA physically as you can
    - Clean the tank. Give the substrate a good vacuum, clean the tubes and filters. I think BGA trives in dirty tanks with high levels of dissolved organics
    - Water change more often
    - Some say BGA is caused by nitrogen limitation, but from my experience increasing NO3 alone will not make BGA go away, it's more of bringing the plants to good health by non-limiting nutrients so that they can outcompete the nasties
    - I've used Easylife Blue-Exit with great success. It's inexpensive and easy to dose. Follow the recommended treatment and have patience. Took me about 3 weeks to completely rid BGA from my tank. Get the small bottle. https://easylife.nl/en/freshwater/algae-cyano/blue-exit
    - A faster (more expensive) way is to use API ERYTHROMYCIN. It's an anti-biotics and it works. http://www.apifishcare.com/product.p...1#.WFOy0ned4UE
    - Blackout works but expect collateral damage, I'd avoid this route
    - Unless you keep up with maintenance and ensure tank cleanness, BGA is going to come back
    hello Ivan , can i check with you if API ERYTHROMYCIN is an anti-biotic, does it wipe off the beneficial bacteria in your tank and filter media as well ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sixhunter View Post
    hello Ivan , can i check with you if API ERYTHROMYCIN is an anti-biotic, does it wipe off the beneficial bacteria in your tank and filter media as well ?
    I didn't find any negative impact on the bb when I used it last time. The same goes for blue-exit. If your bga problem don't look serious, do consider blue-exit.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Day 5 of using Chemiclean - things got better...

Second dosage of chemiclean, this time i added abit more than the recommended.

most of the cyanobacteria melted from the leaves, driftwood and even on the substrate!

Super impressed with this product!

less stink now in the tank and can see the tank becomes alot clearer than before!

will continue to monitor again!

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry guys, since I've brought up the topic of Erythromycin I feel somewhat responsible to make clear my stand about its usage.

Cyanobacteria is not exactly algae, it's really a form of (surprise) bacteria. It has existed since the beginning of time, and is extremely resilient. Treating it in your tank with anti-biotics may result in a resistent strain if you do not completely rid it. This is why doctors always emphasise that we finish the whole course of anti-biotics, failure to do so may lead to a resistant strain of bacteria in our body; then we have a bigger problem.

In fact, in EU countries anti-biotics are not allowed for sale over the counter (you'll need a doctor prescription), and for good reason.

API Erythromycin also positions itself as a product for bacteria treatment for fish, **not** treatment against Cyanobacteria; even though it is effective against it. I think, again, this is for good reason.

While initially effective, BGA resurfaced in my tank a few weeks after the Erythromycin treatment. Further digging on the Internet made me realise all the above that I've mentioned.

On the other hand, Blue-Exit uses the same active ingredient as AglExit, just at different concentration. I've tried it, while the response is slower, it is effective. More importantly it does not risk the nasty side-effect of Erythromycin, which is why I will advocate its use over anti-biotics.

Blue-Exit is also cheaper and more bang for the bucks. You can use it as part of maintenance for prevention too.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jermseah View Post
    Day 5 of using Chemiclean - things got better...

Second dosage of chemiclean, this time i added abit more than the recommended.

most of the cyanobacteria melted from the leaves, driftwood and even on the substrate!

Super impressed with this product!

less stink now in the tank and can see the tank becomes alot clearer than before!

will continue to monitor again!
    Good to hear, keep up with it! Have a little patience and things will improve.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good to hear, keep up with it! Have a little patience and things will improve.

Thanks! was recommended by Y618 to try chemiclean out instead... doesnt contain antibiotics, all bacteria inside! v good stuff to maintain and control algae once in awhile as well. just that price is kinda expensive @ $30 per 2 Grams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I tried Erythromycin as well last time, didn't work even with black out. Destroyed my tank. Gave up after that. It happened after I started using moss wall in my scape. When I first bought it, it has that oh so familiar smell as BGA. Haven't tried Blue-Exit before, will keep in on my list. In the meantime, am back to the hobby and am dosing and maintaining at least 10-15ppm per week of NO3 to keep BGA away.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    I tried Erythromycin as well last time, didn't work even with black out. Destroyed my tank. Gave up after that. It happened after I started using moss wall in my scape. When I first bought it, it has that oh so familiar smell as BGA. Haven't tried Blue-Exit before, will keep in on my list. In the meantime, am back to the hobby and am dosing and maintaining at least 10-15ppm per week of NO3 to keep BGA away.
    i maintain my nitrate at that level too. Works well. More importantly keep the tank clean and wc often, will keep BGA away.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i maintain my nitrate at that level too. Works well. More importantly keep the tank clean and wc often, will keep BGA away.
    Concur with Ivan. Dose excess nutrients per EI, weekly 50% water change and clean substrate and filter regularly = formula for fighting algae in planted tank.

Here's an article from ukaps forum on algae fighting worth reading: http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I had much success with UV lights against cyanobacteria

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks peeps!

the chemiclean seemsto work wonders! I've never believed it would until all the cyano, and other sludges and organic wastes disappeared on the 5th day -2nd dose of it.

very powerful stuff and you guys should try it out for maybe a 2-3 months maintenance solution.

i bought another bottle, liquid version this time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ivan/torque, the NO3 you are using is powder or liquid? What brands are available? Do you dose per manufacturer recommendation?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I up the KNO3 to 40 PPM. Works for me:-)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Ivan/torque, the NO3 you are using is powder or liquid? What brands are available? Do you dose per manufacturer recommendation?
    I use the 5% KNO3 solution from ecocity/HPC. I dose as per EI, scaled down to suit my needs. My tank is 2ft, so it's still quite economical.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I shut off the lights for a few days....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I use the 5% KNO3 solution from ecocity/HPC. I dose as per EI, scaled down to suit my needs. My tank is 2ft, so it's still quite economical.
    Ok thanks. Would the Seachem liquid one serve the same purpose?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Ok thanks. Would the Seachem liquid one serve the same purpose?
    Yes I was using seachem nitrogen before I switched to diy ferts. Plants don't care about the source, you can use seachem for convenience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast