Country
    Singapore

Re: 13L Nano Shrimp Tank "Greenwood"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by rezdwan View Post
    The size of the tank holds about 12L of water max. I mentioned it incorrectly in this thread title and first post. Minus the substrate and everything else in the tank, I measured the water volume to be about 10L. I'm shooting for a flow rate of 10x (or more of) the water volume, hence the reason for the AZOO Mignon Filter 150 which is rated at 120L/h and I hope you agree with me that this is adequate.
    I dont owned tank of your size (i have 5 litre and 22 litre). For both tank, i have super overflow. My 22 litre tank housed 300l/hr ehiem filter. The reason is due to larger capacity for filter media and i dont have to wash the filter so regularly (as compared to my 5 liter tank). Assume the filter gets choked, the flowrate will drop and u need to clean. So, for ur choice of filter, i assume it will be like my 5liter tank (hob filter) roughly 2-3 month maintenance. Rule of thumb, better to get 1 tier higher than recommended due to wear and tear, upgrade of tank for future and ease of maintenance. But of course, dont power your tank into washing machine

[QUOTE=rezdwan;850674]As for the filter media, I chose to use Seachem de*nitrate because if used below a flow rate of 200L/h, it will develop adequate anaerobic environment to support denitrifying bacteria. At least, that is what Seachem claims and only time will tell with this experiment. If I understood that correctly, it will turn nitrates to harmless nitrogen gas that escape through the water surface of the aquarium.

I have to add that Seachem also mentioned that at slow flow rates (less than 200 litres per hour), it will function as both an aerobic filter and an anaerobic denitrifying filter.
    /QUOTE]
    Although it works that way, your plant will starve to death. The reason most hobbiest kept plant is to prolong the need to water change (amonia -> nitrite -> nitrate -> plants -> gas) even though the plants u have are low maintenance, if they have nothing to help them to photosynthesis, i would assume they will get burned. (I maybe wrong here because i only know monster fish keeper uses seachem denitrate to offload their nitrate due to lack of plants. Still learning tho )

Yes, I was wondering about that after I had everything set up. I was thinking of getting a tweezer to do this.

How do most people place food into the tray? Or what is recommended based on your experience.
    Im using feeding tube for my shrimp. However, it it quite useless as the shrimp will often bring the food out of the dish. However, u can use long pincer to put boiled organic food like cucumber, pumpkin and other food that are heavy and bulky. This is to remove any excess food that are not being consumed after the recommended time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by genki89 View Post
    I dont owned tank of your size (i have 5 litre and 22 litre). For both tank, i have super overflow. My 22 litre tank housed 300l/hr ehiem filter. The reason is due to larger capacity for filter media and i dont have to wash the filter so regularly (as compared to my 5 liter tank). Assume the filter gets choked, the flowrate will drop and u need to clean. So, for ur choice of filter, i assume it will be like my 5liter tank (hob filter) roughly 2-3 month maintenance. Rule of thumb, better to get 1 tier higher than recommended due to wear and tear, upgrade of tank for future and ease of maintenance. But of course, dont power your tank into washing machine

Although it works that way, your plant will starve to death. The reason most hobbiest kept plant is to prolong the need to water change (amonia -> nitrite -> nitrate -> plants -> gas) even though the plants u have are low maintenance, if they have nothing to help them to photosynthesis, i would assume they will get burned. (I maybe wrong here because i only know monster fish keeper uses seachem denitrate to offload their nitrate due to lack of plants. Still learning tho )

Im using feeding tube for my shrimp. However, it it quite useless as the shrimp will often bring the food out of the dish. However, u can use long pincer to put boiled organic food like cucumber, pumpkin and other food that are heavy and bulky. This is to remove any excess food that are not being consumed after the recommended time.

Fantastic! Learnt a lot from your reply. Thank you. I'll get back with updates for this experiment.

Guys, there's a high chance that I'll be adding shrimps to my tank tomorrow.

I'll tell you why and how later. Stay tuned for the update on Monday. Alright?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, there's a high chance that I'll be adding shrimps to my tank tomorrow.

I'll tell you why and how later. Stay tuned for the update on Monday. Alright?
    wow!! shall wait for your updates then!! hear form you soon I hope!

I jus started my tank ytd too hope everything goes well
    IMG-20161225-WA0078.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by imtai View Post
    wow!! shall wait for your updates then!! hear form you soon I hope!

I jus started my tank ytd too hope everything goes well
    IMG-20161225-WA0078.jpg

Yeah, cool.

You have taken the first step of a long journey.

Don't blame us when you get addicted.

Alright, here's the update that I promised all of you.

The First Experiment

After setting up the tank as recommended, I wanted to see how soon before shrimps can be added to my tank. Of course cycling the tank matters but I also wanted to see if using Seachem Stability will help to establish the beneficial bacteria faster. So, what I did was to add Seachem Stability every day at the recommended dosage for the first week.

That one cactus stick still refuses to sink!

Anyway, I found out there was still small traces of ammonia, nitrite and a high amount of nitrate present in the tank whenever I tested the water. The possibility of adding shrimps into my tank during the first seven days was ruled out. This does not necessarily mean that Seachem Stability doesn't work. Other factors such as the soil I used, my water source, filter flow and etc. could have affected the outcome. Anyway, here's the result on the eighth day.

pH: 6.4
    Ammonia: 0.25
    Nitrite: 0.25
    Nitrate: 10

The Second Experiment

Well, I've been reading up on Seachem Prime that most of us here uses. I found out that it's not only good for removing chlorine and chloramine but it also renders ammonia, nitrite and nitrate non-toxic. To be exact, here's the quote from Seachem Prime FAQ.

Prime does not remove ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate from the system. It simply binds with those compounds making them harmless to the inhabitants and still bioavailable to the beneficial bacteria.
    Prime will bind up those compounds for up to 48 hours. If they are still present after that time frame, they are released back into the water, unless Prime is re-dosed accordingly. Also, if your ammonia or nitrite levels are increasing within a 24-hour period, Prime can be re-dosed every 24 hours.
    The quotes above were taken from Seachem Prime FAQ page.

This got me thinking. What if I use Seachem Prime to temporarily make the water safe for the shrimps while waiting for the beneficial bacteria to be more established?

And this is where the second experiment starts. I dose the recommended amount of Seachem Prime into my tank and then tested the water. This is what I got.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0

Armed with this new result, I bought the first batch of shrimps. Brought it home and started acclimating them to my tank water. Now, I really took my time with this but one out of 10 died during acclimation. I can only assume that it was already weak when I had it because the other nine survived. Here are some photos of the shrimps. Please excuse my lousy photography skill.

The plan now is to continue dosing Seachem Prime daily until the beneficial bacteria is more established. How long that will take, I have no answers yet. I will continue to monitor the shrimps and the tank water. And of course, update here when I have more findings.

Would love to hear your feedback, insights, thoughts and etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

looks great bro!! I have a 14.5 L tank.. jus slightly bigger.. how any shrimps do you reckon the tank can hold? and what shrimps are those? very unique coloration... care to share the price and location of whr u got them?

Quote Originally Posted by imtai View Post
    looks great bro!! I have a 14.5 L tank.. jus slightly bigger.. how any shrimps do you reckon the tank can hold? and what shrimps are those? very unique coloration... care to share the price and location of whr u got them?

Thanks, imtai.

Regarding your question about stocking shrimps in your tank, I don't have a definite answer. Everywhere I read, everyone almost everytime says that shrimps contribute very little bioload. This means you can have lots of them without any problem. A bit of Googling and you'll find some people say five to 10 shrimps per gallon. Maybe, some other experts here can give a better answer.

The shrimps in the photos that I shared are Red Rili shrimps. One of the cheapest from the Neocaridina Davidi variety. I got it from Green Chapter at Macpherson Road and they currently have a 10% discount if you're paying by cash (minimum 10 pieces of livestock). I dare not reveal the actual price here because it's a sensitive topic.

Hope that help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

By dosing daily prime , you won't be able to build up b.bacteria fast.. (you're removing the ammonia instead of growing bacteria to convert it to nitrite or nitrate..
    I will recommend u to dose your Borneo enlive instead of adding seachem prime daily

The More You Know, The Simpler It Is..
    Cheapest Simple Tank NeoCaridina Shrimp Set up Guide

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Add 1/2 spoon to your water and let runs for a week..
    this should provide bacteria to break down ammonia at the same time building them up to your filter..
    instead of removing harmful substances using prime

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry I just re read it.. so seachem prime doesn't removes but binds them to harmless substances.. and continue to build up on them.. hmm that's worth trying..

Quote Originally Posted by p0ip0i View Post
    Sorry I just re read it.. so seachem prime doesn't removes but binds them to harmless substances.. and continue to build up on them.. hmm that's worth trying..

No problem, p0ip0i.

You got that right about Seachem Prime. Still doing the experiment and so far, everything looks good.

Will update later.

Add 1/2 spoon to your water and let runs for a week..
    this should provide bacteria to break down ammonia at the same time building them up to your filter..
    instead of removing harmful substances using prime

Hey, p0ip0i.

Want to ask you something.

The instruction on the back of the bottle says to add one spoonful for every 60L of tank water as part of regular maintenance.

The BorneoWild is for building bacteria in the tank when we set it up, right? Once the tank is cycled, do we still need to add it to our tank?

What do you usually do?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

BorneoWild contain "hibernate bb".

The regular dosage of bb is only when your tank is bare and u have washed your biomedia. In this case, the bb will be dosed in the compartment where the biomedia is and not into the main tank.

As for planted tank, you need not dose any of these even after you wash your biomedia. However, you may want to replenish those bb that "died" or got washed out during the washing of the biomedia.

Those bb usually found all over the tank. It can be found on the wall of the glass, the pipes, sponge and any surface that have contact with water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Usually.. i add it in tank or filter with just maybe 1/4 spoon .. maybe after a month or two when I does water change or filter floss replacement.. some tanks I doesn't even care.. it's just to replenish like genki89 stated.. for Neo caridina , I do not think we need to add as they are sort of hardy as compared to bee shrimps of highly priced which needed more care.

Quote Originally Posted by genki89 View Post
    BorneoWild contain "hibernate bb".

The regular dosage of bb is only when your tank is bare and u have washed your biomedia. In this case, the bb will be dosed in the compartment where the biomedia is and not into the main tank.

As for planted tank, you need not dose any of these even after you wash your biomedia. However, you may want to replenish those bb that "died" or got washed out during the washing of the biomedia.

Those bb usually found all over the tank. It can be found on the wall of the glass, the pipes, sponge and any surface that have contact with water.

Alright, genki89.

Thanks for the explanation. I understood it better now and shouldn't have to worry much about replenishing the beneficial bacteria.

Usually.. i add it in tank or filter with just maybe 1/4 spoon .. maybe after a month or two when I does water change or filter floss replacement.. some tanks I doesn't even care.. it's just to replenish like genki89 stated.. for Neo caridina , I do not think we need to add as they are sort of hardy as compared to bee shrimps of highly priced which needed more care.

Okay, p0ip0i.

Thank you for replying. I guess monitoring the water parameters will help decide if more beneficial bacteria will be needed over time.

Like you said, the neocaridina species are hardy and the whole idea of keeping them is that should be less demanding, therefore less maintenance.

Guys, the shrimps made it through the first week! I hope they continue to do so for a long time to come.

On Monday, I'll tell you what's the conclusion of my second experiment and what I have planned next.

Stay tuned!

Hey, guys. Sorry for the late update. Was battling Scutariella japonica over the holiday but that's a story for another day.

By the way, here's the conclusion for the second experiment.

Remember when I told you that I used Seachem Prime to render ammonia, nitrite and nitrate non-toxic so that I could add shrimps to my tank earlier? Well, it worked and had kept all the nine shrimps in my tank alive for more than a week now.

What I did was to dose my tank daily with Seachem Prime for the first four days that I had the shrimps and by the seventh day, I measured the water parameters and got the following results. This is more than 48 hours after the last dose of Seachem Prime and its effect should have worn off by then.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0

I can assume at this point that the tank is cycled in less than two weeks after it was set up. I will continue to monitor the water parameter before confirming that my shrimp tank is fully cycled. So, in conclusion to the second experiment, I have this to say.

1. If we had followed p0ip0i's guide to set up a shrimp tank of this size along with the items he recommended and the method he uses, it should take about two weeks to cycle it.
    2. Seachem Stability might have helped to cycle the tank faster but my experiment has been inconclusive regarding its effectiveness to cultivate enough beneficial bacteria. Do note that Seachem Stability was not added at all during the second experiment.
    3. Shrimps can be added earlier by using Seachem Prime to keep them safe while the tank is still cycling but I'd still recommend waiting at least a week for the pH, TDS and temperature in the tank to stabilise.

If you need more details regarding my second experiment, please feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer you.

The Third Experiment

For the third experiment, I wanted to see how effective my setup is along with Seachem de*nitrate in keeping nitrate to an acceptable level without any water changes.

Sadly, I'll have to put the third experiment on hold because I had to take out about 10%-20% of my tank water for quarantine and making a salt bath to cure my shrimps of Scutariella japonica. I'll elaborate more on this a little later.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice set up you got there, simple and neat! Are you planning to add fishes?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast