Singapore

Re: 13L Nano Shrimp Tank "Greenwood"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi rezdwan,

I fed my shrimps with these :

hiraka crab cuisine and efilwan nettle+ are for the shrimps, the algae wafer are for my otos but they shared their food like buddies.

The nettle+ is kind of expensive in terms of shrimp food causing $20 a pack.
    The reason I bought it is because I went all the way down to a LFS but could't find the shrimp food I was looking for, not wanting to leave empty handed, I chose something that looks good by reading on the items packaging.

To my surprise, there is not a single product review on this item. either it's new on the market or not popular.
    The more surprising thing is, my shrimps doesn't like it. I placed it in the tank and gets ignored even after a few hours.

Now if you think about it, shrimps are basically scavengers, they eat rotten stuffs. Ignoring it means it might taste worse than rotten stuffs. maybe healthy food are not meant to taste good.

The trick to get them to eat is I simply mix all three foods together on the feeding tray and put it in tank. They had no choice but to eat it at some point.
    Although I had no more molting death issue and their color seems to get a tiny bit brighter after feeding them with it, I'm still a bit skeptical.

If you are interested in it and happens to live around the north, don't buy it, I can give you 1/2 of it. 40g is a big pack, it's impossible for me to use up everything before the expiry date.

As for the oil film, based on my tank I would say that it's a unavoidable issue.
    From my understanding, the three main causes that applies to my tank are:

overfeeding, organic decay and lacking surface agitation.
    But even when I'm careful with these three aspects, the oil film still appears.
    for my case it's just a matter of how often it comes back and how thick the film is.

if you are considering using the surface skimmer in the future, this is what I do to ensure the shrimp's safety:

before I on the skimmer I place my floaters surrounding the inlet, when I on it they should stay in place when they get suck towards the inlet.
    It will not decrease the performance and it acts like the barricades preventing the shrimps from getting too close to the inlet.
    So far there's no casualties on my side yet.

Alternately, I read that you can place a piece of kitchen paper towel on the water surface for a few seconds to suck up the oil before doing water change.

Hope it helps, have a great weekend!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    Hi rezdwan,

I fed my shrimps with these :

hiraka crab cuisine and efilwan nettle+ are for the shrimps, the algae wafer are for my otos but they shared their food like buddies.

The nettle+ is kind of expensive in terms of shrimp food causing $20 a pack.
    The reason I bought it is because I went all the way down to a LFS but could't find the shrimp food I was looking for, not wanting to leave empty handed, I chose something that looks good by reading on the items packaging.

To my surprise, there is not a single product review on this item. either it's new on the market or not popular.
    The more surprising thing is, my shrimps doesn't like it. I placed it in the tank and gets ignored even after a few hours.

Now if you think about it, shrimps are basically scavengers, they eat rotten stuffs. Ignoring it means it might taste worse than rotten stuffs. maybe healthy food are not meant to taste good.

The trick to get them to eat is I simply mix all three foods together on the feeding tray and put it in tank. They had no choice but to eat it at some point.
    Although I had no more molting death issue and their color seems to get a tiny bit brighter after feeding them with it, I'm still a bit skeptical.

If you are interested in it and happens to live around the north, don't buy it, I can give you 1/2 of it. 40g is a big pack, it's impossible for me to use up everything before the expiry date.

As for the oil film, based on my tank I would say that it's a unavoidable issue.
    From my understanding, the three main causes that applies to my tank are:

overfeeding, organic decay and lacking surface agitation.
    But even when I'm careful with these three aspects, the oil film still appears.
    for my case it's just a matter of how often it comes back and how thick the film is.

if you are considering using the surface skimmer in the future, this is what I do to ensure the shrimp's safety:

before I on the skimmer I place my floaters surrounding the inlet, when I on it they should stay in place when they get suck towards the inlet.
    It will not decrease the performance and it acts like the barricades preventing the shrimps from getting too close to the inlet.
    So far there's no casualties on my side yet.

Alternately, I read that you can place a piece of kitchen paper towel on the water surface for a few seconds to suck up the oil before doing water change.

Hope it helps, have a great weekend!
    Hey j.c.koh

What a coincidence! I already have the Hikari foods that you're using. Also, using the Hikari Tropical Shrimp Cuisine. I guess I'm on the right track.

As for the oil film issue, I'll see how it goes for my new setup. If not using surface skimmer, I may consider using an air pump and air stone later to break up the oily surface.

Thanks for taking the trouble to show me the food that you're feeding your shrimps and offering me half the pack of the Efilwen shrimp food. Have enough shrimp food so I don't require it at the moment.

Hello everyone

This tank has been decommissioned and replaced with a new setup.

12L Nano Shrimp Tank "Blacksand"

Please visit the link above to learn more about the new setup.

Thank you everyone who participated in this thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456