Thread: 13L Nano Shrimp Tank "Greenwood"

Re: 13L Nano Shrimp Tank "Greenwood"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaossu View Post
    Hi Wan,

you can use a egg tumbled to hatch the egg in the event of your mama shrimp died. You have to take out the eggs and ensure that there is no flesh of the dead shrimp lingering on the eggs if not fungus will grow on the eggs and spoil it.

For baby shrimps, you don't have to worry much because they will feed on the micro orgainism. It's better to have algae by the side of the tank so the shrimplets can feed on them.
    Hello, ciaossu.

You were referring to the shrimp egg tumbler that looks like this, right?

Image from Amazon.

I was made aware about this item through the Shrimp WhatsApp Chat Group the other day. Just wondering if it was worth the hassle of setting it up and etc. Consensus was that the success rate may be small.

Good news is, by the time I read your reply, most of the eggs have already hatched and all the shrimps made it through. So, I can get that out of my mind for now.

As for feeding the baby shrimps, I think I shall not worry so much about them like you suggested. I'll let them forage on the natural food that is growing in my tank and that means, I shouldn't clean the algae off my tank wall too much.

Thanks, ciaossu.

Hello, everyone. I've been contemplating since Monday if I should post this update for Week 12. Hence, the delay.

What I would like to say is I'm not totally happy with how things have turned out so far with this shrimp tank project. Here are some reasons why.

Shrimp Survival Rate

Until now, I'm not sure what's causing the low survival rate of my shrimps. Every time death occurs in the tank and parameters are measured, nothing suggests that there's anything wrong with the water. Of course, these are parameters from simple tests only and a comprehensive test kit could have suggested otherwise.

All the berried female shrimps survived to hatch most of their eggs and at one point, there were probably over 100 shrimplets. Sadly, it's a total loss because I see none of them anymore in my tank.

I was anticipating for the female shrimps to bear eggs again but that did not happen either.

For Week 12, three of the shrimps died and this week, another five died. In all, I'm left with only 12 out of the 20 that I bought for the second batch of shrimps.

Unwelcomed Visitors Arrival

The mini fissidens and floating plants in the shrimp tank have been doing well and I didn't need to do much for them except throwing away the weak clumps of floating plants with rotting leaves and dying roots. I thought that the current 10-hour photoperiod will be good for them until the arrival of some unwelcomed visitors.

I started noticing fuzzy grey hair-like algae on my cactus sticks and catappa leaf. Wasn't sure what it was at first and I'm hoping that the shrimps would take care of it.

As it grew bigger, I identified them as Black Beard Algae (aka BBA) based on other photos found online. So far, their growth is only limited to the cactus sticks and catappa leaf and I don't mind getting rid of them because they are easily replaceable.

The fact that BBA managed to take root in my tank worries me. There's definitely something wrong with my tank setup.

What Could Have Gone Wrong

If I were to make a couple of guesses where I might have gone wrong with my tank setup, I would probably say insufficient surface agitation and lack of minerals.

From Day 1, I've always noticed that there's an oily film on my tank water surface. It goes away where there's more surface agitation from my filter when the water level is low. After a water change and top up when the water level is at its highest and there is less surface agitation, the oily film comes back.

This, in turn, could have caused lower oxygen level in my tank and causing the shrimps to die.

I also suspect that when I did the tank set up, I did not consider adding things like mineral powder or stones that might have long term benefits for the shrimps. It might not be totally needed but it wouldn't hurt to add minerals that would give the shrimps a fighting chance.

Tank Reset Considered

I've tried and failed for three months now but it's all part of the learning process and I'm willing to do it all over again if necessary. A tank reset has been considered and this time I'll be sure to upgrade the filter and add minerals during the set up.

If you have any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong or have any questions that might point to where I made mistakes, shoot away.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hey wan,

I totally understand how u feel as I am facing similar issues as you.

I face unexplained death usually one or two per week. water parameter hasn't change after testing with kits.

comparing our setups. it's pretty different in terms of our style. but one thing that is similar is our tank size. we both are using pretty small nano tanks for our shrimps and hoping they breed and thrive.

it isn't happening to me at the moment. many females aren't Berried. shrimplets that came with my purchase are however doing well and growing fast.

I suspected that tank size have a direct impact on the health and stability of shrimps. perhaps very small changes or swing in parameter a small volume have a big repercussions on them?

just my thoughts. I did have plans to reset my tank as well. but I would wait till my new tank stabilise after cycle. =)

tgif!

tai

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Im also facing this issue. But my research gives me this info which i did my best. No much diff have taken place compared to my previous tanks.

1: unknown shrimp death.
    Its the shrimp mortality that has got to do of everything is perfectly fine with no changes. Assuming that there are no ammonia spike (as mentioned spike which may happen within a few hours and goes back to 0 when u try to measure it), temperature of the water, hardness and ph level will shorten or enhance their mortality rate.

2: mama suddenly stopped getting berried.
    Assuming no changes in their diet and wc regime, the barometer plays a big part. Say in the summer the temperature is hotter and the day are longer, more activity could be seen. Of course, barometer is something which we human will not be able to tell. If you do fishing, u will notice that fishes usually start eating X min before and after rain due to change in barometer. However, human try to create the perfect barometer is near impossible.

However, my berried mamas suddenly stopped for nearly 1 year. So sad to say i have not seen shrimplets for close to 2 years now.

Hope somebody can help me out too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ive had issues as well but with rcs (sakura). I dont think there was an o2 issue. Mineral (gh/kh) maybe? I see two things which imo are connected. Starring with 20 more demanding shrimp in 3.5g tank that isn't really mature. There not a lot in there to hold biofilm nor is it old enough to have alot of biofilm.

Now how important is that? Idk lol. I know im tackling the importance of feeding vs no feeding. And trace copper from micro mixes. Tds/gh/kh.

My sakura just slowly died off. Never berried.

I think those that start a new shrimp tank and have success. Have perfect params/system ect..really think an established tank is important for most. Im gonna try again soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Flchamp89; 17th Mar 2017 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm sorry to hear that you guys your shrimps not surviving.. but mine kinda survive
    And I've moved my adults to another tank and they managed to breed too

You guys might wanna check on the gh/kh
    I think I added some coral chips to raise the kh to 1..

The More You Know, The Simpler It Is..
    Cheapest Simple Tank NeoCaridina Shrimp Set up Guide

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually I think u do not need to reset, but maybe what u can do is get gh/kh from borneowild , put 3/4 spoon in to raise your gh/kh. Or buy some mineral stone add in..
    To think that it survived 12 weeks
    And there are still shrimps inside
    It probably lack of minerals for molting..
    2nd) did u frequently change the water ? Maybe you might wanna reduce to 1.5weeks 1-2 cups of water ..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Starting up is kind of a pain I know how it feels , like what imtai said. I've realised also that shrimplets born in the tank you set up had a greater chance of survival / growing up fast. No doubt this batch will blossom.. as it habitats from this tank when set up. It just takes some time when you have a tank of full shrimps..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you're sure that there's sufficient minerals (kh/gh ) for molting.
    Unless there's a bacteria(sickness) in your tank that you can't get it.. otherwise it's kinda weird to have a shrimp tank dying each week and somemore is a tank that is 3 months old..
    if you're talking about less than 1 month-2 it maybe water Cycling issues.. but 3 months.. hmm really mystery for me.. and the only answer I can go after is bacterias or insufficient kh..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by imtai View Post
    hey wan,

I face unexplained death usually one or two per week. water parameter hasn't change after testing with kits.

comparing our setups. it's pretty different in terms of our style. but one thing that is similar is our tank size. we both are using pretty small nano tanks for our shrimps and hoping they breed and thrive.

it isn't happening to me at the moment. many females aren't Berried. shrimplets that came with my purchase are however doing well and growing fast.

I suspected that tank size have a direct impact on the health and stability of shrimps. perhaps very small changes or swing in parameter a small volume have a big repercussions on them?

just my thoughts. I did have plans to reset my tank as well. but I would wait till my new tank stabilise after cycle. =)

tgif!

tai

well 1-2 deaths per week or 2 weeks is perfectly normal for me, shrimps can die due to aging. i was once like you kinda afraid that it would wipe out the colony. But thru experience as long as not deaths daily your tank will thrive without issues. Do less water change 10% will do for 1.5-2weeks. Cause less water /changes disturbance = more breeding process will come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wan, the gush tray seems ex. Is there any specific advantage compared to mama shop that sell glass cup or ash tray like $1 tag.

Quote Originally Posted by imtai View Post
    hey wan,

tgif!

tai

Hey, imtai.

I guess we're in the same boat now. Shrimps dying one after another without any known cause. It's frustrating, I know.

I agree with you about smaller sized tanks having more parameters swing. Just that, I'm still stubborn about making this work and I know it can be done.

Anyway, I hope you have better luck with your new tank and do share with us whatever you have learnt with regards to this new setup you have.

Good luck, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by genki89 View Post
    Im also facing this issue. But my research gives me this info which i did my best. No much diff have taken place compared to my previous tanks.

1: unknown shrimp death.
    Its the shrimp mortality that has got to do of everything is perfectly fine with no changes. Assuming that there are no ammonia spike (as mentioned spike which may happen within a few hours and goes back to 0 when u try to measure it), temperature of the water, hardness and ph level will shorten or enhance their mortality rate.

2: mama suddenly stopped getting berried.
    Assuming no changes in their diet and wc regime, the barometer plays a big part. Say in the summer the temperature is hotter and the day are longer, more activity could be seen. Of course, barometer is something which we human will not be able to tell. If you do fishing, u will notice that fishes usually start eating X min before and after rain due to change in barometer. However, human try to create the perfect barometer is near impossible.

However, my berried mamas suddenly stopped for nearly 1 year. So sad to say i have not seen shrimplets for close to 2 years now.

Hope somebody can help me out too

Hi, genki89.

I salute your patience for having to keep shrimps that are not thriving for one to two years already.

The part you mentioned about barometer is probably true but I guess it's too advanced for aquarists like most of us.

What I would really like to do is create a stable tank even if the size is small. Thus, this little experiment and learning.

If you did anything different to make your shrimp tank better in the future, please let us know.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Flchamp89 View Post
    Ive had issues as well but with rcs (sakura). I dont think there was an o2 issue. Mineral (gh/kh) maybe? I see two things which imo are connected. Starring with 20 more demanding shrimp in 3.5g tank that isn't really mature. There not a lot in there to hold biofilm nor is it old enough to have alot of biofilm.

Now how important is that? Idk lol. I know im tackling the importance of feeding vs no feeding. And trace copper from micro mixes. Tds/gh/kh.

My sakura just slowly died off. Never berried.

I think those that start a new shrimp tank and have success. Have perfect params/system ect..really think an established tank is important for most. Im gonna try again soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Hello, Flchamp89.

Sorry to hear about your shrimps. How long have you started your shrimp tank?

I came to the realization that a cycled tank is not really enough for shrimps. More time will be needed for biofilm and etc. to grow and it will be beneficial for the shrimps once they go in there.

I've been reading more about the Red Cherry shrimps and although they are hardy, if our water source or setup is way off the scale, it won't help too. I may need to check the GH & KH myself.

And please, do give it a try again and perhaps with a slightly different setup this time. Who knows, you might find success then.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by p0ip0i View Post

I'm sorry to hear that you guys your shrimps not surviving.. but mine kinda survive
    And I've moved my adults to another tank and they managed to breed too

You guys might wanna check on the gh/kh
    I think I added some coral chips to raise the kh to 1..

Actually I think u do not need to reset, but maybe what u can do is get gh/kh from borneowild , put 3/4 spoon in to raise your gh/kh. Or buy some mineral stone add in..
    To think that it survived 12 weeks
    And there are still shrimps inside
    It probably lack of minerals for molting..
    2nd) did u frequently change the water ? Maybe you might wanna reduce to 1.5weeks 1-2 cups of water ..

Starting up is kind of a pain I know how it feels , like what imtai said. I've realised also that shrimplets born in the tank you set up had a greater chance of survival / growing up fast. No doubt this batch will blossom.. as it habitats from this tank when set up. It just takes some time when you have a tank of full shrimps..

If you're sure that there's sufficient minerals (kh/gh ) for molting.
    Unless there's a bacteria(sickness) in your tank that you can't get it.. otherwise it's kinda weird to have a shrimp tank dying each week and somemore is a tank that is 3 months old..
    if you're talking about less than 1 month-2 it maybe water Cycling issues.. but 3 months.. hmm really mystery for me.. and the only answer I can go after is bacterias or insufficient kh..

Hey, p0ip0i.

First of all, long time no see! How have you been?

Thanks for all the pointers that you have mentioned above. I have read each and every one of them and the GH & KH is the one I must seriously look at.

My plan is to have a clean setup and this time with mineral powder and rocks recommended for shrimps. I also felt that I need to upgrade my filter for more flow.

Before I attempt to play with BorneoWild GH/KH+ I must consider getting a test kit to measure those parameters first then attempt to adjust it. Maybe my tap water just isn't suitable.

Thank you once again!

Quote Originally Posted by CoryFanatics View Post
    Wan, the gush tray seems ex. Is there any specific advantage compared to mama shop that sell glass cup or ash tray like $1 tag.
    Hello, CoryFanatics.

I got the gUSH feed tray just because it looks more presentable and small enough for my tank and that is the only advantage I can think of.

I'll admit that it is expensive for a small piece of glassware. Alternatively, you can get cheaper ones from a different brand or maybe even online through sites like Carousell and etc.

And yes, you could even use a glass ashtray if you don't mind how it looks in your tank because I've actually seen a video of someone using it.

Hope that helps!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regarding the shrimps berried. I have my tanks for 2 years. Often they will get berried after water change. In my overhang filter I have some fresh water shells that i collected from my meal. I do notice my shrimps population kind of under control after I have cardinal. Btw I have stopped CO2 inject for more than a year. Personally i feel the key is the shells and water change (roughly 10% max weekly).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro Rezwan, I'm sorry for your lost, I hope all is well now.
    Not sure if these might help, I'll base it on my personal experiences and I hope some might be helpful to you.

I too had my fair share of shrimps dying mysteriously during the first few months of introduction to tank.
    Normally the death happens after this 2 things,

1. One or two days after water change.
    2. One or two days after molting.

At first when I do water change, the shrimps will start showing signs of stress, swimming around restlessly. Then I would pray and hope for the best. Occasionally I would find a dead shrimp the next day. Maybe the sudden change in parameters is too much for them to handle.

Then about 2 months ago when my green neon caught ich, bro UA recommend me buying the aqua buffer barrel for dosing the medication. I used it for water changes too.

Now I did water change as slow as possible using the aqua buffer barrel to the point that the shrimps doesn't even realise it when I introduced the freshwater in, they just do their own things instead of showing signs of stress. I usually takes 25 to 30 minutes to fill up my tank's 20%, you can adjust to the dripping speed that you want. I highly recommend you getting one. It cost about $12 at Seaview. You can use it to dose your fertilizer too if your shrimps are too sensitive to them. After using it I have no more dead shrimps after water change.

I had 2 cases of molting death incident a few months ago.
    After molting it would stay out in the open not moving. Next day I would find it dead at the same spot. I start feeding them with calcium enhancement food every 3 to 4 days and have no problems even since. I do not know the readings for my gh/Kh but I'm guessing my stone set up might help hardened the water a bit. maybe you can rise the hardness by putting some shells or crushed corals.

For the oil firm issue I use the OF surface skimmer recommended by UA on his blog for weekly maintenance.
    I bought it from someone at carousell for $10. A first hand cost about $20 - $30. Think I saw someone selling it for $9, you might wanna go and have a look.
    Whenever I see oil firm on the surface I will plug it in and on it for a few hours to a day. Then I will wash and keep it in the cabinet until it's needed again.

For the lights I'll said 10 hours is too much. Normally the sweet spot is between 6 to 8 hours. Anything above 8 hours would risk getting algae unless its heavily planted. You need to find the right balance between the 6 to 8 gap. I had mine at 6-1/2 hours, initially I wanted to ramp up to 7 hours but since my plants are doing well at 6.5 I figured it's not worth the risk. If in future the plants shows signs of lacking light then I'll increase it.

for breeding I read somewhere (don't remember) that the best temperature to bring Neocaridinas to their breeding mode is 27°C. Not sure how true it is though. you can do a google search on the topic if you want.

As for the filter I don't think I'm qualified enough to answer. But I'm guessing when you test your water if there's no sudden ammonia and nitrite spike when the mysterious death occurs, then the water should be fine, stable and the BB is working as intended. Not sure though, just a wild guess.

I hope it helps, best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    Hi bro Rezwan, I'm sorry for your lost, I hope all is well now.
    Not sure if these might help, I'll base it on my personal experiences and I hope some might be helpful to you.

I too had my fair share of shrimps dying mysteriously during the first few months of introduction to tank.
    Normally the death happens after this 2 things,

1. One or two days after water change.
    2. One or two days after molting.

At first when I do water change, the shrimps will start showing signs of stress, swimming around restlessly. Then I would pray and hope for the best. Occasionally I would find a dead shrimp the next day. Maybe the sudden change in parameters is too much for them to handle.

Then about 2 months ago when my green neon caught ich, bro UA recommend me buying the aqua buffer barrel for dosing the medication. I used it for water changes too.

Now I did water change as slow as possible using the aqua buffer barrel to the point that the shrimps doesn't even realise it when I introduced the freshwater in, they just do their own things instead of showing signs of stress. I usually takes 25 to 30 minutes to fill up my tank's 20%, you can adjust to the dripping speed that you want. I highly recommend you getting one. It cost about $12 at Seaview. You can use it to dose your fertilizer too if your shrimps are too sensitive to them. After using it I have no more dead shrimps after water change.

I had 2 cases of molting death incident a few months ago.
    After molting it would stay out in the open not moving. Next day I would find it dead at the same spot. I start feeding them with calcium enhancement food every 3 to 4 days and have no problems even since. I do not know the readings for my gh/Kh but I'm guessing my stone set up might help hardened the water a bit. maybe you can rise the hardness by putting some shells or crushed corals.

For the oil firm issue I use the OF surface skimmer recommended by UA on his blog for weekly maintenance.
    I bought it from someone at carousell for $10. A first hand cost about $20 - $30. Think I saw someone selling it for $9, you might wanna go and have a look.
    Whenever I see oil firm on the surface I will plug it in and on it for a few hours to a day. Then I will wash and keep it in the cabinet until it's needed again.

For the lights I'll said 10 hours is too much. Normally the sweet spot is between 6 to 8 hours. Anything above 8 hours would risk getting algae unless its heavily planted. You need to find the right balance between the 6 to 8 gap. I had mine at 6-1/2 hours, initially I wanted to ramp up to 7 hours but since my plants are doing well at 6.5 I figured it's not worth the risk. If in future the plants shows signs of lacking light then I'll increase it.

for breeding I read somewhere (don't remember) that the best temperature to bring Neocaridinas to their breeding mode is 27°C. Not sure how true it is though. you can do a google search on the topic if you want.

As for the filter I don't think I'm qualified enough to answer. But I'm guessing when you test your water if there's no sudden ammonia and nitrite spike when the mysterious death occurs, then the water should be fine, stable and the BB is working as intended. Not sure though, just a wild guess.

I hope it helps, best of luck.
    Hey j.c.koh

Nice to hear from you.

Regarding the Up Aqua "buffer barrel" (I still can't figure out why they call it that), I already had one and have been using it for some time now. It's probably not necessary for Neocaridina shrimps (because of their hardy reputation) but I still use it for water changes and dripping treated tap water slowly into the tank as best practice.

As for the calcium enhancement food, I'm curious to know what you actually fed your shrimps. But I do agree that part of my shrimp tank problem could probably be due to insufficient minerals in the water. I understand that your tank is more of a planted tank setup (as opposed to a shrimp tank setup) but it could have made a positive difference.

The annoying oil film needs constant fixing and using the surface skimmer is a good idea except that my tank is small and after a bit of research, I felt that it might not be safe for shrimps. They might get sucked in and if the inlet were covered with a mesh (or something), that will make it ineffective. Maybe it's an unavoidable problem but I would like to find the root cause first.

Lastly, I learned my mistake about the 10-hour photoperiod for my shrimp tank. Totally unnecessary but I gave in to temptation because I kind of like looking at the tank when it's lighted. Will definitely use an eight hour or less photoperiod from now on, unless I'm doing a high-tech planted tank.

Anyway, thank you j.c.koh for all the pointers and sharing your experience here. Much appreciated.

All said and done, I've decided to reset my tank sometime soon and I hope to get a better outcome this time. Stay tuned!

As mentioned earlier, I'm going to reset my shrimp tank soon.

Need some help to get the following items before I actually set up the shrimp tank again.

1. BorneoWild Minerax
    2. BorneoWild Minerock
    3. BorneoWild GH/KH+

If you have it or know someone who does, please refer to the following link for more info.

Want Consumables: BorneoWild Minerax, Minerock & GH/KH+

Thank you in advance.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast