Country
    Singapore

Sharing my newly acquired Apistogramma abacaxis

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys,

Just want to share my newly acquired Apistogramma abacaxis. Used to be called Apistogramma "wilhelmi".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzohP26XOUE

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Sharing my newly acquired Apistogramma abacaxis

nice purple chin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice fish! I've had very limited success breeding them in harder water - two spawns by the same female, small number of fry, and they scatter very early. I've heard many people succeed using ADA soils like Africana - which looks like what you're using?

Actually the species has not been scientifically described yet - so it's "Apistogramma sp. Abacaxis". Apparently there are two A numbers for separate populations of this species, A227 and A228. A227 is the original export, from Rio Abacaxis, and A228 is from the neighbouring Rio Marimari, which is the more commonly exported fish nowadays. This is what I understand from reading what Mike Wise on apistogramma.com has to say anyway.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

very nice, would like to exchange fry next time if they breed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by boofeng View Post
    Nice fish! I've had very limited success breeding them in harder water - two spawns by the same female, small number of fry, and they scatter very early. I've heard many people succeed using ADA soils like Africana - which looks like what you're using?

Actually the species has not been scientifically described yet - so it's "Apistogramma sp. Abacaxis". Apparently there are two A numbers for separate populations of this species, A227 and A228. A227 is the original export, from Rio Abacaxis, and A228 is from the neighbouring Rio Marimari, which is the more commonly exported fish nowadays. This is what I understand from reading what Mike Wise on apistogramma.com has to say anyway.

Yes, I'm using ADA Africana. However, I'm still getting pH 7.5 with my tester. I have been using the soil for around 6 months or more. I'm guessing the effect wore off already. I just changed away 1/3 of the soil away with fresh Africana soil. Hopefully the pH will drop back down to a 6 or 6.5. If all else fails then I have to rely on ketapang leaves.
    Last edited by seagul; 24th Dec 2016 at 12:17. Reason: elaborate further

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tommygro2 View Post
    very nice, would like to exchange fry next time if they breed.
    I actually currently have two Apistogramma Bitaeniata mamuri fries, most likely 2 males and 1 adult female that i want to let go.
    The adult female is the mother of the 2 fries. The father unfortunately suicided

*PM me if you are interested.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seagul View Post
    Yes, I'm using ADA Africana. However, I'm still getting pH 7.5 with my tester. I have been using the soil for around 6 months or more. I'm guessing the effect wore off already. I just changed away 1/3 of the soil away with fresh Africana soil. Hopefully the pH will drop back down to a 6 or 6.5. If all else fails then I have to rely on ketapang leaves.
    Yeah the soil should work. Ketapang leaves you would need in a large amount, to bring pH down significantly. Depends on how hard your tapwater is (most of Singapore is soft, except CCK). You could definitely soften it faster with peat moss (pellets or loose are okay - many German brands out there, or at gardening centres) - but they do turn your water brown. Both ADA soil and peat moss also lower bring dGH down to 3, which is good enough to spawn most apistos.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah the soil should work. Ketapang leaves you would need in a large amount, to bring pH down significantly. Depends on how hard your tapwater is (most of Singapore is soft, except CCK). You could definitely soften it faster with peat moss (pellets or loose are okay - many German brands out there, or at gardening centres) - but they do turn your water brown. Both ADA soil and peat moss also lower bring dGH down to 3, which is good enough to spawn most apistos.

Just changed my soil and added some ketapang leaves. pH is now down to 5.0. Not so sure about hardness though, I did not get the test kit for it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just changed my soil and added some ketapang leaves. pH is now down to 5.0. Not so sure about hardness though, I did not get the test kit for it.
    5.0 sounds great - probably it's the Africana doing it's job! Africana also brings GH down - I tested some tanks running Africana and GH is 2-3 each time. It's a great product for taking the measurement and guesswork out of your workflow.
    I actually currently have two Apistogramma Bitaeniata mamuri fries, most likely 2 males and 1 adult female that i want to let go.
    The adult female is the mother of the 2 fries. The father unfortunately suicided

*PM me if you are interested.
    PMing you about this in a moment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

5.0 sounds great - probably it's the Africana doing it's job! Africana also brings GH down - I tested some tanks running Africana and GH is 2-3 each time. It's a great product for taking the measurement and guesswork out of your workflow.
    PMing you about this in a moment.
    Completely agree with this point. But when the Africana wears off, it is actually quite painful changing them out. Also, you can't tell that the effect has wore off. I was guessing something wasn't right when my Bitaeniata stopped breeding. That prompted me to buy a pH test kit and it was then I realised my pH has already gone up to 7.5.