Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

(Need Help!) Rummynose dying

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a semi planted low tech nano tank (semi cos my carpet plants r trying to grow roots but the otos keep uprooting them) with 2 otos, 3 Rummynose, 1 lemon tetra, 1 horned nerite snail and 2 fire red shrimps.

The other livestock are fine with the exception of the rummynose. Every week or so one will die mysteriously after I spot it turning on its nose vertically. Doesnt seem like the dreaded whirling disease cos when I go near the afflicted it'll just go horizontal and join its mates in schooling.

No visible signs of disease on the corpses. I've had 2 die on me so far due to this weird illness. Am feeding Hikari tropical micro pellets, no frozen worms. Can any guys help? TIA!

Pic is before the recent death =(

Here's my water parameters if needed -

PH - 7-7.2
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 5
    Nitrate - 40
    Tds - 332
    Temp - 27-28 deg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: (Need Help!) Rummynose dying

Hi @ongxt , I believe the tank is too small for the runnynoses. I keep mine in a 20 gallon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@bracehero yes am aware of that - this is a proof of concept before I go on to a 2ft tank. Is it the overcrowding that leads to e death?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I put about 7 tiger barbs in a 9 gallon lol. Same thing happened, watet parameters were fine

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You still have nitrite, means your tank is not cycled yet.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@aza could the nitrate be due to the melting plants? Have been adding stress zyme to help speed up e process

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No I think you are confused. Have a read of this article, understand tank cycling then go save your lifestock.

http://aquariuminfo.org/cycling.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@aza thanks for e info! My rummies are swimming arnd happily w red noses.. Since they're supposed to b indicators of bad water quality.. Lol.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nitrite 5ppm means tank not cycled or flawed reading of test kit. Repeat the nitrite test carefully. If there's nitrite present, get Prime and dose per package instruction until your tank is cycled and nitrite drops to 0ppm.

But remember it's your tank so your decisions; we merely dispense advice from our humble, limited, aquarist experiences cos perhaps we may have had some terrible ones and have learnt from those so that you or your lifestock may not suffer the same.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    Nitrite 5ppm means tank not cycled or flawed reading of test kit. Repeat the nitrite test carefully. If there's nitrite present, get Prime and dose per package instruction until your tank is cycled and nitrite drops to 0ppm.

But remember it's your tank so your decisions; we merely dispense advice from our humble, limited, aquarist experiences cos perhaps we may have had some terrible ones and have learnt from those so that you or your lifestock may not suffer the same.
    Thanks aza! Will do the nitrite test again - I did attempt to shake the bottle hard by banging it on the table for 1min but may b insufficient. I'll plenty of Prime so I'll dose it if needed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ongxt View Post
    Thanks aza! Will do the nitrite test again - I did attempt to shake the bottle hard by banging it on the table for 1min but may b insufficient. I'll plenty of Prime so I'll dose it if needed.

And, of course, don't make my mistake: always test for nitrites BEFORE dosing Prime. Why? Because that's how Prime works, they bind to nitrites rending them inaccessible to lifestock and so too to your test kits.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Gotcha! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ongxt, if the tank isn't cycled, might as well restart the whole set up. Judging from the photo, it will be very difficult for your plants to take roots from now on. They will probably die out and rot away and that will cause the water quality to turn bad very quickly in such a small tank. The bioload for the tank is too high especially since you're using a small internal filter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@greenyellow Bro no worries, I'll be removing the monte carlo clump and doing it dry start elsewhere. I'll b upgrading soon once I've gotten a hang of it =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by GreenYellow View Post
    Hi Ongxt, if the tank isn't cycled, might as well restart the whole set up. Judging from the photo, it will be very difficult for your plants to take roots from now on. They will probably die out and rot away and that will cause the water quality to turn bad very quickly in such a small tank. The bioload for the tank is too high especially since you're using a small internal filter.
    Just did a check today and the ammonia and nitrite are at 0ppm. Nitrate is 40ppm. I guess it's cycled right? But I found yet another rummynose twirling around, so I guess it's the dreaded whirling disease. Tried moving it to the QT and treated w some meds - hopefully it works.