Images
    Country
    Singapore

3ft Planted

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    So after three rescapes in two years (and numerous defeats with algae but with much learning experience gained), I decided to go.... DUTCH! Or maybe perhaps fully planted, cos Dutch aquascape requires much skill with stringent rules, kinda not my thing.

Currently in the crucial first 40 days of plant growth. Dosing with EI regime. All plants doing well except Downoi (damn you, I already placed three large mineral rock sacrificing valuable planting space and yet you melt! ) and AR mini (has some BBA on old leaves; nothing that spot Excel treatment can't rectify though).

Lifestock is currently Boesemani Rainbows (07), Otos (05) and Yamatos (uncountable cos all hiding under foliage, some jumped and few became Rainbow's lunch.)

My next post will be on my plants. And in the future maybe the old grand master aquascapers can help me with how to prune, which will be due in about two to three week's time.

The pics not so good quality, will take a better one tomorrow with my Ricoh GR.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 3ft Planted

Can't get my Ricoh GR to work, meh will need new camera for 2017. Maybe a micro 4/3.

Back to the plants in my tank. Why just plants you may ask? Because I believe you need to know how to grow plants well before you can attempt a decent aquascape. I feel that, at this stage of my aquascaping journey, hardscape gets in the way. Hardscaping requires lots of observing nature, studying photography techniques like Rule of Thirds etc, and also collecting specimen. A lot of times newbies to the hobby simply rush the scape and end up frustrated. I have been through that stage.

Here's a list of plants I'm trying to grow (will divide them into multiple posts):

Foreground plants:

1) Dwarf Hairgrass

Growing slowly in the foreground; some emersed form are melting away but new runners have formed. I'm not going to fuss about much and just be patient while they spread. Patience is something I have learnt in this hobby.

2) L. Brasiliensis + some cryptocoryne species (parva? Can't remember, plants names and form are hard to learn)

I reserved the right hand side, more shady area of the tank for these slow growing plants. Hope no algae attacks them, fingers crossed.

In my next post, I'll cover my middle ground plants and also explain why I have so much mid ground plants vs background plants.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aza; 26th Dec 2016 at 18:15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice setup. What's your tank width? Do you find the extreme left and right hand side of your tank a bit dark given the way Maxspect place the LED lights?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Nice setup. What's your tank width? Do you find the extreme left and right hand side of your tank a bit dark given the way Maxspect place the LED lights?
    The tank is 90x45x45 cm. I'm using Zet light. A little bit shady on the sides but those can be good sites for cryptocorynes I guess.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks similar to Maxspect in terms of slim design!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Some updates... About 60 days in. Still learning how to prune.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Day Zero.