4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

4ft planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just moved to a new house and this is my first try on aquascaping on a 4ft tank. Prior to this, I had a 2ft tank. Got the tank from East Ocean (120 by 45 by 45) with crystal glass on the front side and the cabinet is sponsored by my contractor. Finally, the contractor managed to deliver it last night, but the cabinet doors are still not done yet. The LED lightset I got it shipped from Shenzhen and the brand is LEDZeal. Pretty interesting light which can be controlled by a smartphone.

These are part of the hardscape (rocks) I had.

Tried my hand on the driftwoods arrangement

This is the initial setup with driftwood and the rocks I had.

Planting and setting up of my filter equipment will start tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 4ft planted tank

good start for a new year , no intention to put sand at the front ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

great potential, nice hardscape! but no door on the cabinet? and I didn't see any solid wood anchor, concern for you if it can withstand the weight once the water is in.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by popimac View Post
    great potential, nice hardscape! but no door on the cabinet? and I didn't see any solid wood anchor, concern for you if it can withstand the weight once the water is in.

The solid woods are hidden below. The doors will be up by next week. After flooding, some of the driftwoods floated and I used some rocks to hold them down. Not so ideal scape for now. Will post more pictures tomorrow. Now in need of plants. Hahahahahaha.
    Any bro use ista glue. Don't know why it turns white after it dried up. Looks like mouldy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

maybe you can consider silicone glue.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Finally got time to post some pictures.
    Final setup
    The base I have penac P and W before adding tc, bacter100 and super clear.
    4 9L ada normal soil and 4L of ada powder soil.
    I used 2 filters for this tank as my eheim 2075 might not be able to drive enough flow after connected to artica 1/5hp. The other eheim 2071, I used it to connect to my CO2 with an inline diffuser.

Left side close up

Right side close up

Went to polyart and back to grab some plants to plant tomorrow. Need more plants to suck up the nutrients. Need more. Anyone has other plants to give away? I would love to have more for the initial startup.

Bro popimac, I took a picture of the solid wood that is support the tank

Do I need to change water tomorrow? What is the change water regime for the initial start up.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's good to see that solid wood support for the cabinet for your 4ft tank. It gives peace of mind.

The newly-filled water should appear cloudy. Changing with more clean water will not help much. Need to wait for the bacteria bloom to subside and stabilize and the water will be beautifully clear soon. Then you can start water-testing to determine the various water parameters.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Try to get some floaters. They are dirt cheap, non co2 limited hence sucks nutrients well, and easy to remove.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I missed out the following two pictures yesterday.

After emptying the bacter100 and the recommended dosage of the rest, this is how it looks like

Bought more plants this morning and got some complimentary japonica from bro Jackychun this evening.

Also, did some minor change to the driftwood at the left. Now looks more branchy.

Right side: the top driftwood did not float up at least after removing 2 out of 4 slabs from the top. Hopefully I can remove the slabs after a few more days.

I also noticed that the white substance left behind by the ista glue is slowly disappearing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

the wood structure in the picture is for the cabinet platform/base. how about the supporting stands? I'm genuinely concerned, nothing more.

as for cycling with amazonia, my water change regime usually are: 1st & 2nd day-change out all the water if possible. 3rd day and every other day for the first week-change out 50%.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

The scaping in your 4ft tank looks great bro! Soon it will be gorgeous when plants catch up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

the wood structure in the picture is for the cabinet platform/base. how about the supporting stands? I'm genuinely concerned, nothing more.

as for cycling with amazonia, my water change regime usually are: 1st & 2nd day-change out all the water if possible. 3rd day and every other day for the first week-change out 50%.

Bro thanks for pointing out the support of the cabinet. Will be tearing the tank down after consulting tank cabinet maker

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if the maker can assure you that it can withstand 300-400kg, then there is no problem. better to be safe than sorry.. good luck!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

if the maker can assure you that it can withstand 300-400kg, then there is no problem. better to be safe than sorry.. good luck!

Totally agreed. Better be safe. Looking at the positive side, at least we identify and eradicate the issue before it really gives way and becomes a hazard

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

the wood structure in the picture is for the cabinet platform/base. how about the supporting stands? I'm genuinely concerned, nothing more. ...
    From that picture I saw earlier which is turned sideways, I had thought the wooden supports are vertical. Very confusing picture.

I completely agree with shifu you that it is cause for concern not to have good support for such a heavy 4ft tank. I have even come across at least one hobbyist who put 2x 4ft tanks vertically on a DIY angle-iron stand, which I think is dangerous too.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The wood structure in the picture is the top and the bottom is also this structure but covered up already. The sides are 15mm with centre vertical piece at 30mm thickness.
    Any expert to advise if this is okay? Saw some cabinets online is also the same designs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

better to validate this with your carpenter since he is the one who built it for you..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

better to validate this with your carpenter since he is the one who built it for you..

Yes. He told me can support. He used iron wood for the top and bottom structures. Sides and centre vertical are solid plywoods.
    Just that when u said your concern, from the picture, visually it looks thinner at the sides relative to the rest of the wood pieces and I started to think of what happens if....
    However, after looking at some other cabinets both online and a few displays in fish shop, they have also vertical side woods like mine with no vertical beams internally.
    My tank is 120cm by 45cm by 45cm.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

good to hear this info. then you can rest assured.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nice scape... need more plants now!!

what carpeting plants u intend to put?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast