Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 65 cm "Mountain view"

Talking 65 cm "Mountain view"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Sharing with you my new 65 cm "Mountain view" tank, started about 3 weeks ago.

Tank size is 65X40X40

I wanted to create some mountain view and use carpet plants only. I settled upon this tank size as i find the commonly available 60cm tank too small.

The rocks are not big and to create the required height, I used plastic crates to prop them up. The central rock is propped up 5 stories high. This also prevents the rocks from sliding down the substrate over time, which was what happened to me previously.

Next, aquasoil is added and some rearrangement.

I got some HC and Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis from Tropica. Since this tank is not very big, the damage $ is still OK. There are actually a lot of plants stuffed into small tub. The best thing is that there are no snails and worms.

Trying out the Dry Start Method for the first time here. After planting, it is wait and wait.... nothing to do except occasionally spray water when it looks dry. No water changes.

The growth is quite steady - below picture is after 3 weeks. There are also some browning. I might wait another 3 weeks before flooding.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 65 cm "Mountain view"

You have co2?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

may I know where I can buy the plastic crates that you used?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bracehero View Post
    You have co2?

No added co2 during dry stage. But do plan to introduce co2 after flooding.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by golfball View Post
    No added co2 during dry stage. But do plan to introduce co2 after flooding.

Oo, okok. Tank looks great atm! All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by popimac View Post
    may I know where I can buy the plastic crates that you used?

I got them from c328. Seaview also has them. I use metal wire cutter to cut them into smaller pieces.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for the info! will check both shops!

I am thinking about replacing the lights. Currently 2 rows of led. About 30watts total. I figure after flooding the light intensity may be too low. The tank is 40cm deep. Any suggestions? Preferably adjustable led.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice "Mountain view" tank

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am thinking about replacing the lights. Currently 2 rows of led. About 30watts total. I figure after flooding the light intensity may be too low. The tank is 40cm deep. Any suggestions? Preferably adjustable led.

Hi golfball, From what I know usually aquarium lights only got 2 mode, day & night. If you wan adjustability, first brand that came to my mind is Chihiros. They got a 7 stage dimmer options. I must admit its quite useful to get the kind of look that you want from your tank. Full blast will produce the highest PAR as what per you want, but will make your tank somehow too whitewashed, thus robbing the plants some of its glory. Other that that, I'm don't recall any other brands that have multistage dimmer option.
    The next option is of course marine tank light like maxspect, hydra & etc. They have the sleek look, beautiful design & total light output control BUT even a 2nd hand will not come cheap. So it comes down to your preference and of course, how deep your pocket is :P

Hi Crimson83, thanks for your reply. I don't think the standard Chihiros 60cm acrylic stand can fit on my 65cm. The overall intensity is probably not much higher than my current 30W, if any. Yup, the sleek an beautiful ones don't come cheap.

5th week update

HC has grown more densely. No mould and fungus. I try not to keep it too moist nor too dry. Tank is half covered with cling wrap as i cannot moist it when i go to work in the day. The soil is dark color from the moisture but no water puddles. In fact the water level is probably less than half the lowest substrate level at the front of the tank. I spray a bit of water once or max twice in the morning and evening.

I think I am going to flood the tank this weekend

HC patches joining up

Roots growing

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Darn I'm envious of ur hc! I'm growing it DSM in one of my tanks but the roots refuse to grow. Any idea why? I use natural sunlight along the common corridor.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Crimson83, thanks for your reply. I don't think the standard Chihiros 60cm acrylic stand can fit on my 65cm. The overall intensity is probably not much higher than my current 30W, if any. Yup, the sleek an beautiful ones don't come cheap.
    Chihiros has a 65W with steel stand which is adjustable length and height wise. Not sure if GC has it. If no can always buy online.

I will be getting the 30W to raise up the height as some of my rocks are blocking the light. Easy when doing maintenance.

Hi ongxt, does it get sufficient light? Maybe you can send a picture on the condition.

Quote Originally Posted by ongxt View Post
    Darn I'm envious of ur hc! I'm growing it DSM in one of my tanks but the roots refuse to grow. Any idea why? I use natural sunlight along the common corridor.

Hi gnesnah, thanks - I don't recall seeing this in the local shops like sunpets. Looks like it is designed for tanks with emersed stem plants - hence the leg is adjustable up to 20 cm tall but sure can be used for our submersed setup since leg is adjustable and is dimmable I guess? Quite versatile. I plan to flood the tank and check out my current lighting first. I read that HC is not that light hungry afterall, so hopefully ok.

Quote Originally Posted by gnesnah View Post
    Chihiros has a 65W with steel stand which is adjustable length and height wise. Not sure if GC has it. If no can always buy online.

I will be getting the 30W to raise up the height as some of my rocks are blocking the light. Easy when doing maintenance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Very nice scaping, bro!

For the Chihiros lighting stands, you can order from ebay, too. I got it for mine tank since the light is quite strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Very nice scaping, bro!

For the Chihiros lighting stands, you can order from ebay, too. I got it for mine tank since the light is quite strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Jacky, how much did you purchase the light for? Ebay charges alot for shipping to SG though :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast