Country
    Singapore

Inflow Surface Skimmer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get a similar inflow surface skimmer as with the link? Preferably a local LFS shop. I really like the sleek design which isn't bulky.
    The name on the link suggests that it looks like ADA style? I tried searching for the ADA one, couldn't find it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-tan...-/181980821377

A regular inflow surface skimmer looks like the link below. I'm sure it works fine but the bulkiness is just an eye sore.

http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/img/...er-16-22mm.jpg

Appreciate any information regarding the first link above. Many thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Inflow Surface Skimmer

Check at Seaview, they have a few selections of the glass intake pipe with skimmer head, same like the ones in your 2nd link.

Btw, ADA does not have any glass intakes with skimmers (that's why you can't find ADA brand ones), those intake skimmer designs are produced by other 3rd party brand manufacturers.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA! Thanks for your reply. Funny I just came back from Seaview and bought a similar one as the second link. These are easily available depending on stock in certain LFS'.

If the item in the first link was available, would definitely prefer that one. Guess have to make do with this regular one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I actually ordered in the acrylic version in your first link a few years back and used it for a while... its designed with 2 halves of the pipes (mirror imaged molded halves) glued together, so you can see a permanent glue seam in the middle of the pipes.

For the unit that i used, the seams were not glued together properly so they started to split and leaked during usage. Tried to glue the halves back but figured it was too risky to use further, so i tossed it out.

The glass versions with one solid piece construction are still much better to use.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Whoa sorry to hear that but thanks for sharing your experience! Thankfully didn't buy that. The one that I just bought (from the second link), based on your experience UA, how is it?

I just installed it and I think it's working, although only like a small "line" of water seems to be sucked in from ONE of the many tiny grooves/ridges of the skimmer. Is this normal? When I try to adjust the device ie. try to place the skimmer
    in such a way that it will float, the floating thing gets totally sucked underwater. Large particles of air gets sucked into the inflow. Then the outflow stars producing bubbles as expected, for about 20 seconds or so. Have to readjust again so that it will
    float. Back to sucking in one "line" of water. Is this sufficient to remove surface film?

Or, what am I doing wrong?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, thats the tricky thing with these integrated surface skimmers that rely on the canister filter intake flow. Alot more variables involved. They are not as optimised based on a fixed flow rate like other types of stand-alone pump driven surface skimmers.

Ideally there should be a good steady flow of water going into the skimmer head from all its entry points, then it will work efficiently.

You have to adjust the intake flow speed by tuning the opening knob at the bottom of the pipe to reduce it, which will in turn increase the intake flow strength at the skimmer head, it requires a bit of adjustment to get the right balance of flow at the top so that it can overcome the floating head buoyancy (but not pull it down and lose all bouyancy causing water to rush in).

If you already fully closed the bottom part of the intake pipe and it's still not enough flow at the top to overcome the buoyancy, then have to use a tube and pipette/syringe to draw out a portion of air under the skimmer head to reduce its buoyancy and try again. Eventually you will find the right balance.

If it's still not workable, then it's possible your canister filter flow might just not be strong enough to split intake flow between the bottom and top of the skimmer intake pipe. Sometimes more flow is required in such setup, as now the intake flow rate is split to 2 channels rather than just at one end.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 16th Jan 2017 at 15:50.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Awesome detailed explanation as always UA. Really appreciate that. Hmm good to know based on your experience and the different configurations one need to be aware of when installing this.

Im using the EHEIM 2217, so I think in terms of suction power, it should be fine? Anyway checked yesterday and the bouyancy, thankfully figured itself out. Its skimming brilliantly with all the grooves taking in water, so I guess I avoided the hassle to configure manually.

Next time will definitely follow your instructions nonetheless. Many thanks UA!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cool, sounds like it's settled and balanced on it own.

The only thing to do now is to just keep an eye on the skimmer head buoyancy as the air pocket in it will gradually get smaller as it slowly dissolves into the water and canister flow may also reduce over time, so just have to adjust it accordingly from time to time if necessary.
    www.urbanaquaria.com