Images
    Country
    Singapore

Post Germany field trip

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I will be off to Germany sometime next year. I know it's abit far to say but I am just so curious to know what Germany has to offer in aquatics. I know their aquatic scene is not small, but what sort of interesting plants/shops do they have?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Short stay or long? Which city or state?

Take a look at this thread also.

As noted there, buy a few copies of the local Aquarium magazines at the airport bookstores. The magazines will have listings of LFS by city. German cities tend to be very spread out, and LFS are usually closer to the residential suburbs than the touristy city centres. Prices of everything will be much higher than Singapore though (because of the high costs, Value-added Tax, service levels), but it's worth visiting some just to see how they do things there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr
    I will be off to Germany sometime next year. I know it's abit far to say but I am just so curious to know what Germany has to offer in aquatics. I know their aquatic scene is not small, but what sort of interesting plants/shops do they have?
    Bro can bring me go along???

By then u become darkside liao .....
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought you wanted to go scooping in the european streams.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heh, I know it is wrong environmentally to scoop from streams, I mean if they want to define it, they can say it's tantamount to stealing national treasures! heh, hence I am also not sure. But really scooping is more convenient, no need to look for lfs, and go through all the big long channels.
    My trip there won't be long 'cus I will there for competition and also catch World Cup' 06.
    I have notified Darkeyes, our dear friend from Germany and he told me that they got " lots of LFS e.g. the biggest one in the world with 6000 aquare metres. It's in Duisburg, "Zoo Zajac". " I was like WOW!

European climates and our tropical climates are very very different. I am also not sure if the things I bring back will survive or not, so I will just be banking on plants! as a collector. Mosses will be a priority.

Anyone else want to share their European experiences?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In Europe, I haven't been to the ones in Germany, but have been to a few in France. Selection over there pales by comparison. Prices are very high too, for both equipment and livestock. Location of these places are often out of the way. Unless you drive, it's usually not worth the trip. Taxi fares over there cost two arms and a leg.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Check out this link, I think he is one of the great aquascape artists of the hobby, and he's in Germany, where, I don't know, maybe you could e-mail him and find out.
    http://www.plantella.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr
    hi,

tat really depends on which city u're going... normally in europe, it's quite hard to find a lfs unless u know e place well or have someone to bring u ard... n yes, e price is going to be expensive... it's a temperate country so most of e plants it offer will cost a lot more than e ones u find locally...

i've been to Dresden n i found no lfs at all in e shopping area of e city... tot i found an exhibition on aquariums with e word "Aquatics" but it turned out to be an art gallery featuring water n pple... also their living n operating lifestyle is so different form ours... if u r only free to roam ard during wkends, most probably u find nothing, even if u manage to find one, it will be closed... to them, wkends is all abt spending time with family n recreation... n of cos beer...

most probably u can find a lot of different types of moss but u'll be e only guy at e pond or drains to pick them up as others will all start to look at u... n one thing their drains r actually streams to me... very clear n with lots of ducks, mostly mandarin ducks if i'm not wrong in e identification...