Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Beginner- Qn about dying plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I have a tank set up for about 2 months now. It is barebottomed, low tech.
    I only have 1 air stone and 1 light.

Animals:
    I was gifted about 6 guppies. They are doing very well and have increased to about 10 with 6 fry.
    Also have 11 Red Cherry Shrimp bought ~ 1 month ago

I have been adding to my set up with plants, which are not doing well.

Plants I have now:
    Christmas Moss - doing ok. brown in small parts
    Java moss, - OK
    Salvinia Natans- OK
    Java Fern- OK
    Unknown Red Plant - OK
    Marimo Moss - OK for now

Has melted till left empty stems and thrown: (were put in as floaters)
    Anacharis - bought 3 times. all have turned brown and melted away within 1 month
    Cabomba- disintergrated
    Hornwort- disintergrated

Qn: What are some good/easy Midground/background plants I can add?

TLDR: My fish are doing great. Moss are OK though not thriving. What other plants can I add?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginner- Qn about dying plants

Do you have a pic?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Will upload pic tonight!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hornwort is consider a very easy floating plant , quite hard to die off

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,
    I'm trying to post the photos now but having problems - Keep getting "Upload of File Failed" error.

Uploaded to imgur and here are some links but would really appreciate if anyone can help me with the uploading of file error.

Front View:

Side View:

Top view:

Unknown red plant close up:

Christmas Moss brown patch close up:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just to note that the red plant is not an aquatic plant, its more suitable as emersed plant for terrariums or paludariums.

The moss turning brown is usually due to transition from emersed to submersed conditions, most of the time they will recover after a while.

Those other plants you observed melting like anacharis, cabomba and hornwort do tend to deteriorate quickly when introduced to a new tank environment or if water conditions are somehow too different from their previous environment. They can sometimes have difficulty adapting to certain tank conditions, compared to your other more hardy plants.

As for easy midground plants, you can look at adding some anubias plants, they are hardy and relatively low maintenance.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Just to note that the red plant is not an aquatic plant, its more suitable as emersed plant for terrariums or paludariums.

The moss turning brown is usually due to transition from emersed to submersed conditions, most of the time they will recover after a while.

Those other plants you observed melting like anacharis, cabomba and hornwort do tend to deteriorate quickly when introduced to a new tank environment or if water conditions are somehow too different from their previous environment. They can sometimes have difficulty adapting to certain tank conditions, compared to your other more hardy plants.

As for easy midground plants, you can look at adding some anubias plants, they are hardy and relatively low maintenance.
    Thank you so much! Should I remove the large red plant then?
    Besides Anubias, what are your thoughts on Water Sprite and more Java Fern / Marimo Balls?

If I remove the large red plant, I'll need more Background, Midground and Fore Ground plants so hardy recommendations would be great!
    No substrate so they will need to be able to survive tied to Driftwood/rocks etc other low maintenance options

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To add on, I'm looking for plants where my fish fry/ shrimplets can hide so I want that heavily planted look (preferably without actually needing to plant anything)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by noangel View Post
    Thank you so much! Should I remove the large red plant then?
    Besides Anubias, what are your thoughts on Water Sprite and more Java Fern / Marimo Balls?

If I remove the large red plant, I'll need more Background, Midground and Fore Ground plants so hardy recommendations would be great!
    No substrate so they will need to be able to survive tied to Driftwood/rocks etc other low maintenance options
    For the long term, it would be best to remove the large red plant, since it will eventually just slowly deteriorate in the tank.

Adding water sprite and more java ferns or marimo balls can work well, just depends on how you like to make the layout.

Btw, there are many variants of anubias available so you can mix and match the different ones together too.

Just for reference, here is an example of one of my previous low maintenance planted tanks using just 3 varieties of anubias (all tied to rocks and pebbles): http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...450#post840450

At high enough plant density, there will be plenty of hiding places for fry and shrimplets.

www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That's beautiful!
    Mind sharing which are the types of anubias used and where they can be bought?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That's beautiful!
    Mind sharing which are the types of anubias used and where they can be bought?
    Thanks!

The 3 types of anubias i used in that tank are sp. Angustifolia (the tall slender leaved ones), sp. Coffeefolia (the broad ridged leaved ones) and sp. Petite (the tiny leaved ones).

I bought all of those plants from popular places like C328 and Seaview. They are commonly available at most LFS.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Was given a tub of this plant and told it grows very well.

Can someone help to ID it? Giver told me it grows floating but I plan to tie it down.

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Was given a tub of this plant and told it grows very well.

Can someone help to ID it? Giver told me it grows floating but I plan to tie it down.
    That plant is called Najas guadalupensis... other trade names are naja grass or guppy grass. Its a common floating plant and considered a weed in some waterways.

Very easy to keep and it grows very fast with ample light and nutrients. Look abit messy, but can be a great nutrient remover and provides good hiding places for fish fry and shrimps.

You can also plant it into the substrate or just tie to objects, it will still grow via those methods too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks so much Urban Aquaria!

Found another plant mixed in with the Guppy Grass...
    Can help ID it too?
    It's very fine. like hair fine, but here's a 'close up'
    Actual is a much darker, deep green too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

From the photo looks like some sort of moss? Maybe christmas or singapore moss... could also be other types of moss.

Seem there is a mix of algae also tangled in there too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the heads up on the algae!

Need more help... Can help to ID what is wrong with my plants?

Java Fern

Guppy Grass

That red plant has it too though the solution to this is I can just remove it

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Look like the plants are melting due to transition process, have to simply trim away all the melting parts, they will not recover anyways.

If the tank conditions are stable with sufficient light and nutrients, eventually new healthy leaves should grow out to replace them.

If new leaves still exhibit those melting effects or weak growth, then it's due to nutrient deficiencies. Have to dose more ferts.

Good to remove the red plant, it's non-aquatic anyways (meant to be kept emersed in terrariums or paludariums), so it will just gradually melt and rot away when kept submersed in the tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com