Country
    Singapore

Platies in a 60cm tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I have not kept platies in my tank for a very very long time and I'm thinking of starting a breeding colony. However, my tank is only 60cm x 30cm x 45cm, and I've read that a tank of this size cannot support a healthy group of platies without overcrowding.

Currently in the tank I have ~8 cardinal tetras, 3 (very old) harlequin rasboras, ~5 Amano shrimp, and many many RCS/Sakura shrimp. There is a lot of plant growth and many places for baby shrimp and fish to hide and grow.

Would an initial group of 8 platies (3 male 5 female) be possible, or is overcrowding inevitable due to breeding?
    Thank you all for your help!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Platies in a 60cm tank

should be good enough..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, based on my recent experience, I think it would be better to have 2 males and 6 females or better still just have 1 male and 3 or more females.

The males would basically harass the females all day long and 5 F to 3 M is not a big enough ratio. My recommendation of having only one male is because in the past when I had more than one male, the dominant male would attack the other males and even cause physical injuries like torn fins etc. The injured males would become very stressed and eventually fall sick.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the replies, but just to check, is it likely that overcrowding would happen in the long run? I don't want that to happen cause I worry for the population balance in the tank and the bioload.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with THChoong to keep only one male platy to a few females. Having more than one male creates an inharmonious environment in the tank, especially for breeding. The bullied males are highly stressed and inevitably become sickly and then diseased.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ganthet, overcrowding will happen but what you can do is to raise the fries and then select your favourites to keep while giving away the rest or maybe exchanging for some items like fish food etc.