Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Stones for aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I just like to know if there is some way that we can check if a stone can be used for aquariums. I only know that pouring vinegar is one, but it's only works on some stones only. Is there a DIY or home soulution thing to do this? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Stones for aquarium

safest is to get stones or rocks from aquarium.
    other rocks pick up from somewhere else, the first thing you should do is hot water treatment after 1 or 2 days soaking, followed by adding 1 or 2 commando fish in a pail with the stone and observe the reaction of the fish. if everything is normal, then you are safe to add it in to your main tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Stones for aquarium

I get most of my rocks from rock distributors/outdoor landscaping companies, so what i usually do is use a brush and scrub the rocks thoroughly to get rid of all dust and dirt, and then soak the rocks for 1-2 weeks in a bucket of water.

The water parameters (ie. TDS, pH and GH) of the bucket water will be tested before and after for a few days to see if there are any changes in the conditions. This provides a quick simulation to observe the rocks effects when put into submersed conditions. If there are significant changes in the water parameters, i will then do multiple full water changes in the bucket over the span of a few days (this also helps to flush out any residual pesticides or chemicals that may have been absorbed into the rocks).

Once i'm satisfied that the parameters are safe and don't change much, then i'll proceed to use the rocks in my tanks.

The method i use takes more time and effort though, i guess the amount of work you want to put into this process also depends on how sensitive your livestock are and how much you want to keep your tank conditions in balance.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com