Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water bill going up any alternative for water change?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Water bill going up any alternative for water change?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I believe there is another hike in the utility bill , the cost of electricity . It seems that a carbon emission tax will be imposed on the power supply company and when it happens , the extra cost is going to be added to the consumer , if I am not wrong . So , with the extra cost of water plus electricity , we fish keeper are going to be a minority . If the extra cost of water doesnt put you off the hobby , the extra electricity cost will .

Personally, I myself is at a crossroad now . I am going to upgrade my reef tank to a larger tank , bought all the necessary equipment except the main tank but looking at this sudden conundrum , I feel like a trapped person . Just received a sump a few days ago and now feel kinda regretful , judging from the news I read online .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    I believe there is another hike in the utility bill , the cost of electricity . It seems that a carbon emission tax will be imposed on the power supply company and when it happens , the extra cost is going to be added to the consumer , if I am not wrong . So , with the extra cost of water plus electricity , we fish keeper are going to be a minority . If the extra cost of water doesnt put you off the hobby , the extra electricity cost will .

Personally, I myself is at a crossroad now . I am going to upgrade my reef tank to a larger tank , bought all the necessary equipment except the main tank but looking at this sudden conundrum , I feel like a trapped person . Just received a sump a few days ago and now feel kinda regretful , judging from the news I read online .
    With the high cost of fishkeeping looming, one way to continue enjoying fish is to keep things simple. Like having small tanks and inexpensive fish..Don't underestimate the pleasure one can derive from a $2 packet of feeder platys or guppies in a 2ft tank.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I don't get where all this doom and gloom is coming from. Even for me, a 6ft 600litre tank, the price increase is only about $0.45 per month. After the hundreds of dollars we've invested in the hobby, $0.45 extra a month is going to kill your passion?

A household will probably save more water then that by being more careful in other water usage. Like being more efficient in the daily shower.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some rich fella who does not need to watch my expenses carefully, but putting everything in perspective, in absolute terms, the increase isn't huge. If money is that tight in the household, then I wonder why they started this hobby in the first place.

~ Sent from Moto X Style via Tapatalk ~
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    If we can't do without water change, then at least maximise re-use of the changed water. Our tank water is almost perfect for watering plants... it has left over fertilisers. Especially nice for plants that do not root in soil, like orchids.

Other possibilities:
    1. Hook up to hydroponics system and grow veggies. Spend less on veggies. Excess can be sold too.
    2. "Down grade" to a slow grow, low fish-load planted tank. Less water change, less electricity too.

I have a 6 footer planted tank. About 600 litres. Weekly water change is about 150 litres, which adds up to 600 litres in a month. I keep about 55 litres each time for watering plants. Slightly related, we have a alkaline water filter (for drinking) at home. All acidic water runoff is kept for light flushing of our toilets.

For those who want to keep water, I recommend the IKEA Filur bin with lid (http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/pr...337/#/40188335). Comes in 3 sizes. I use two of the 28 litre ones which fit perfectly inside the IKEA ÄPPLARÖ outdoor storage bench (http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/50204924/). Just fold the flexible bottom to the side and the bins sit nicely on the floor. The lid of the bins keep mosquitoes out, but are easy to flip open to scoop water. The rectangular shape maximise space usage and makes it easy to fit anywhere.

Anyway, I looked up the numbers for our water consumption and I'll share my findings here.

To keep things simple, I'm using the numbers for 3-room HDB and apartments. These two groups form a large part of households in Singapore for this rough exercise.

3-room HDB and apartments (I assume it refers to condos and ECs) average monthly water usage in Jan 2017 (http://www.singaporepower.com.sg/irj...4-de464caacd39) is about 13 cubic meters (m3). 4-room HDB households use about 17m3. For reference, 1m3 is 1000 litres (L).

The price change is nicely summarised in this infographic (below) on this page: https://www.pub.gov.sg/watersupply/waterprice

Before the price hike, 13m3 will cost roughly $27.
    After the full price hike, it will be roughly $36. So a absolute hike of about $10 per month.

My tank water change per month, 600L or 0.6m3 translate to roughly $1.70.

Nevertheless, we should conserve water for the sake of water conservation, not just because of price.
    Agree! I recycle my laundry machine water and tank water for flushing toilets, saved a lot of money this way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For hobbyists, higher cost for water changes is only part of the story. It is the indirect cost increase overall that is the real killer. LFSs, which needs huge use of water will be hard hit with higher business overheads. The increased cost of doing business will inevitably result in price increases for all items related to the hobby, including fish. It is this that will deter hobbyists from continuing or starting the hobby. Price increases are real for those who are budget-conscious.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Lithuania

I dont see here anything wrong. 2$ for 1m3 is very cheap. I pump water from well, use RO purifier than restore stuff with minerals. 1 - m3 cold water - 4€. Not to mention RO membrane will clog up, and it will cost me extra euro at the end of years.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For those of us who are using our own ro/di unit , this does have an impact too . Like what Tetrakid explained , the cost is not only on the direct water usage but down the line , businesses like the lfs , the coffeeshop and others will now have a reason to increase prices . It always trickle down the chain , what would cost a few cents as informed by the authorities doesnt actually happens in reality . The disparity is quite wide . I know a coffeeshop in Tampines has increase their prices . A fast food restaurant has increase their price too !
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I've got >40 pots of plants in my backyard that needs to be watered everyday. So on the day of water change, I just use the fish tank water to water the plants instead of using water from the tap and thus there is no net change of water usage at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12