1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

LED vs Metal Halide

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I'm looking to restart this long lost hobby after moving to a new house in June I used to use Giesemann metal halide sets with ADA bulbs and works well although a chiller will be needed to cool the heats from the light.... I will still likely use a chiller, I'd definitely be happy to have less heat in the house and thus less electricity bills and noise from the running of the chillers when kick in Tuhs, I'm considering LED but would like your comments on the pros and cons of using it in particular the results of the plant's growth and conditions compared to MH (I'm looking to have mainly java ferns, bolbitis, mosses and some glosso as plants in my new tank). Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: LED vs Metal Halide

How long ago was your last tank? The current wisdom is that we don't need as much light as what was touted before. Instead, balance the nuitrients and of course our old friend, CO2. Also the larger the tank, the lower the so-called WPG, as WPG does not scale with tank volume.

Nowadays very few people use MH. LED is the new trend, but some are still sticking with T5. Later, I'll embedded a few YouTube videos by an AQ member that gives good overviews of lighting for planted these days.

~ Sent from Moto X Style via Tapatalk ~
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, what size tank are you planning? If you're thinking MH, I'm guessing at least a 4 footer?

Here are the videos by the AQ member (I'll let him Identify himself, if he wishes).

Lights:
    https://youtu.be/jKHwDfv6ETg
    https://youtu.be/qoOpizZrtOM

Nutirents and Algae:
    https://youtu.be/WxZI8akyxbg
    https://youtu.be/KDdpUe4Olcg

He's got dozen more videos and they worth watching.
    Last edited by vinz; 22nd Feb 2017 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I Was guessing whose videos you will attach before opening the links and I was right! His came immediately to my mind on this subject. I watched his videos before and have to say they were very well done! He did a great job explaining the different concepts in simple easy to understand terms! Great videos to watch!! Always have high respect for people who make effort and time to pass down their knowledge and experience! Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My tank was decommissioned 3.5 years ago and back then, LED was a new entry into aquascaping world and I always felt it will be mainstream very soon and I think I'm right Anyway, I'm looking to have 4 or 5 ft tank for my new house and also switching to using a sump tank instead (always wanted to try given some good reviews by bros).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The videos are very good and one important point I picked up is to decide what kind of layout of the scape and plants you want to grow to decide which light fixture will suit best

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by o2bubble View Post
    My tank was decommissioned 3.5 years ago and back then, LED was a new entry into aquascaping world and I always felt it will be mainstream very soon and I think I'm right Anyway, I'm looking to have 4 or 5 ft tank for my new house and also switching to using a sump tank instead (always wanted to try given some good reviews by bros).
    I'm using a sump for my 6 ft planted. Will be happy to share any suggestions and ideas with you. There are modifications that can be made to the standard design that I feel would be better for reducing CO2 lost. Currently the tank makers will give you a tall drain pipe and submerged drain if they know you're doing planted, but I feel more can be done.

~ Sent from Moto X Style via Tapatalk ~

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Was trying to catch up on my lost years on lighting fixtures and so many to choose from on LED !! Came across Giesemann Aurora (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2515803) and ADA latest Solar RGB (http://www.adana.co.jp/en/solar_rgb/index.html) seems to be one of the best (if you don't mind the cost of course ). Anyone used them before and came to comment?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

IMO after a while in this hobby you will realize spectrum does not really matter especially if you re-scape once a year like I did . Not that they are useless, its just you probably wont notice the different. Get something that suite your eyes and importantly meet your budget .
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images

With our weather temperature here in Singapore, if I use LED light is required to have a chiller? I understand LED produce more heat compare to T5
    PATIENCE is the key to contentment.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

LED produce heat at join, hence the heat sink at the back. The light ray it self not hot (no infrared component maybe). Unlike Metal halide, the light ray itself is hot.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Vinz,

I have a 3ft planted with a sump. any suggestions to reduce the co2 loss?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Highly recommend aquarium led lighting for anyone.

They're a bit pricey but they save you money on your electric bill, they don't heat your tank, and they're not so bulky.
    Only con for me is they can't be replaced after warranty is expired, you'd have to purchase another one.