Thread: Recommendation for a slow growing background plant

Feedback Score

Recommendation for a slow growing background plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Aquaplanters

Can someone recommends me a slow growing background plant? My tank is a standard 2ft(60cm) and only have a high of 36 cm. I'm currently using Hydrocotyle Tripartita as a background plant and they can be messy and all tied up when left to grow unattended. I used to have Ludwigia Arcuata as a background plant but it grows so fast in a week. I have to do a lot of trimming each time I do my weekly water change.

Any pics of your recommendation would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Recommendation for a slow growing background plant

Hi there, are you using co2? if you have co2, most background plants will grow pretty fast if you provide proper light and nutrients. maybe you can try ferns. for a 2ft, most type of ferns will do. try to have a mixture of them, they will look really nice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stream View Post
    Hi Aquaplanters

Can someone recommends me a slow growing background plant? My tank is a standard 2ft(60cm) and only have a high of 36 cm. I'm currently using Hydrocotyle Tripartita as a background plant and they can be messy and all tied up when left to grow unattended. I used to have Ludwigia Arcuata as a background plant but it grows so fast in a week. I have to do a lot of trimming each time I do my weekly water change.....
    Many hobbyists have beautiful plants growing in their tank without any unnecessary expensive CO2 equipment. It is good to hear that your plants also growing too fast and I assume you also don't have any CO2 equipment. If so, this goes to prove that it is unnecessary. After all, there is already an abundance of CO2 being released by the plants themselves and which saturates the water with CO2 at night. In addition, fish also are constantly adding C02 to the water in their breathing. Thus, in view of that, too much CO2 can be detrimental to the plants and fish. I never use CO2. On the other hand, too much oxygen is never bad.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score

Forgot to mention that I do have CO2 injection into my tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This is the theory I'm trying out now:

Less lights to slow the growth rate. Keep the CO2 going. Less fertilisers too, since the plants will be growing slower.

For slow background plant, try Hygrophila corymbosa (might be too slow... LOL). Make sure you get the right H. Corymbosa. There are sub-varieties like H. corymbosa 'angustifolia' which has narrow long leaves and grows tall quickly. Some LFS do not label in detail, so choose the correct one. The big obvious difference is that H corymbosa has broad submersed leaves, but the rest has long narrow submersed leaves.

http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpla...hila-corymbosa
    http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpla...a-angustifolia

~ Sent from Moto X Style via Tapatalk ~
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.