Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 60 Gallon No water change tank. How can I achieve it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

60 Gallon No water change tank. How can I achieve it?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    60 Gallon No water change tank. How can I achieve it?
    Keeping about 15s tetra and 10 rummy nose.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: 60 Gallon No water change tank. How can I achieve it?

That should be (mostly) achievable, since your bioload is not that high for the volume of water.

What you want to achieve is a planted tank (low tech is fine) where the plants will help to remove wastes and condition the water. Floating plants like frogbits or Salvinia are pretty good-can grow quite fast without CO2 (they get it from air), and the fast growth drives the removal of things like nitrates. They are also easier to remove and prune compared to duckweed.

You will need some light to drive the plant growth, but not too much to avoid algae issues.

In terms of maintenance, you will need to do water top ups and prune the plants. And, it would be good to change some of the water once in a while, maybe once every few months, since some organics will build up and it is difficult for everything to be in perfect balance.

Search the web for low tech/planted tanks and I'm sure you'll come across some interesting articles. Some of these only require water top ups from time to time.