Thread: Fishless Cycling with Fish Food

Feedback Score

Fishless Cycling with Fish Food

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I am into my 9th day of cycling my 1 feet tank.
    Using fish food as my ammonia source (since I cant get Ammonia anywhere), I had the following readings:

2nd day: ammonia 1, nitrite 1, nitrate 0
    3rd day: ammonia 0.25, nitrite 2, nitrate 10 (for some reason i am getting nitrate reading so soon I dont know why)
    4th day: ammonia 0.25, nitrite 5, nitrate 10
    5th day: ammonia 0.25, nitrite 5, nitrate 5 (nitrate down)
    6th day: ammonia 0.25, nitrite 5, nitrate 5
    7th day: ammonia 0.25, nitrite 5, nitrate 5
    8th day: ammonia 0.25, nitrite 5, nitrate 5
    9th day: ammonia 0.25, nitrite 5, nitrate 10 (nitrate up again)

Have been using Seachem Stability.
    Everything is new in the tank.
    I have a number of moss in the tank
    Water is distilled water (the NTUC one), top up once every 2 days due to evaporation
    I have been adding a pinch of fish flake everyday (first 5 days I removed the previous day's food), then next 3 days, I left the previous day's food still in the tank while continue to add the food. The food are all sitting in those disposable teabags.

I have a few questions

1. Are my readings abnormal? Considering I am already getting nitrate in my 3rd day
    2. Since I am already getting Nitrate, my nitrite should be going down right?
    3. Am I doing it right? I read alot about getting the ammonia to 4ppm, maybe I am not getting enough ammonia? But then again I am already having a Nitrate reading, so I should just be adding smaller amount of ammonia while waiting for the Ammonia and Nitrite to go to zero right?

Please advice if any kind soul can and thanks alot

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fishless Cycling with Fish Food

How big is your tank? Maybe too little ammonia to kick start?
    For me i added a bunch of fish food till they stink and mouldy the following day and i replace with new fish food.
    By right, the ammonia and nitrate should go away , while the nitrate surge and you would have to do a big water change to get rid of the nitrate.

Feedback Score

Re: Fishless Cycling with Fish Food

Quote Originally Posted by skytan View Post
    How big is your tank? Maybe too little ammonia to kick start?
    For me i added a bunch of fish food till they stink and mouldy the following day and i replace with new fish food.
    By right, the ammonia and nitrate should go away , while the nitrate surge and you would have to do a big water change to get rid of the nitrate.
    Hi,

Its a 1 feet tank, just about 10L of water.
    Yeah, thats what I thought about the ammonia, since I have never been able to get it over 1ppm.
    I stopped increasing because mainly I am already seeing Nitrate readings, so it was just a matter of maintaining the fish food dosage and waiting for the ammonia and nitrite to go down.

I will continue to monitor since its just 9 to 10 days into the cycling process.
    Question is, do I increase ammonia or not? My nitrite is already 5ppm