Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Purple Tangs

Purple Tangs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you went don to Hong Leong today at around 5pm? Cos I was scooting around, looking for stuff. Anyway, just wanted to say that HL now has lots and lots of purple tangs that are just plain gorgeous. Not that I'm helping Patric to make adverts, but the tangs really are nice.

Sad to say, I didn't get what I wanted though - was looking for several turbo snails. Remember the whitish stuff on my LR that I was talking about? I've noticed that one of my large turbos was actually scraping them off the rocks for me, so I was trying to get some more. Any lobangs on getting them?

Anyway, the DIY overflow and all my miscellaneous plumbing has been fixed up, so now I'm just waiting for the silicone glue to cure for 24hrs before startingthe system up. And once the entire thing gets going (I hope!),then .. hehe ... []

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Just an update on my overflow - the gadget's actually working! Hahaha, just that I spilt some water on the floor when a reverse-siphon occured on my pump during a test-run. Looks like the tank's finally completely done.

A problem here though - I'm using a small fixture with 4 x 5Watt PC lights that's generating a huge amount of heat. How do you guys battle the heat problem? Chillers are damn expensive, so unless there's really no other way, they will be a last consideration for me. Thanks!

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can consider using those computer fans to draw out the heat..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Yahz they're nice but they're bastards...

They attack Everything... My poor Queen Angel, Regal Tangs, Lyretail Hog... Everything I put in!

It killed 2 of my Sunburst Anthias Too... Bit of the entire tail...

Just a warning lor... Put these Beautiful bastards in last... []

Hi,

Thanks for the tip about the computer fans, I realised the water got hot since there was no circulation prior to me setting up the overflow system, but now it's quite OK, considering the large amount of water flowing through (My sump's a 4-footer ).

You mean the purple tang's really that bad? Oh dear .. was considering it, but dunno now ... it's either a purple tang or a flame angel. At preent the tank's stocked with a scopas tang (yep - found the pic of it at last, it's a scopas) and a sand-sifting goby of some sort that's white and rather unattractive.

rEGARds,
    Hong Yee

oh boy ice chill man they arent tt bad.
    IMO a scopas is jus as bad as a purple. dragon try not to go for anymore high-finned tangs. they look alot alike. ur aclimatized scopas will beat the crap out of u new addition. or wat u can do is try to catch the scopas n put it in ur sump till u get all the fish u want then add it in.tangs shld always be the last addition to ur tank.
    my purple tang will beat the hell out of similar sized fish but ignore small wans. HTH

my updated tank pics http://grouplinks.eastciti.com/group...fm?albumid=670
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry to hear that u bought a monster, ice.. hehehe.. well.. my purple tang is pretty tame.. when compared to the monster fishes that i have inside. hehe.. yes.. do introduce tangs last.. if u should keep both flame and purple tang, put the flame in first b4 the purple tang.. and remove the other tang first.. high-finned tangs are usually territorial and aggressive to similiar-looking fishes... []
    the sand shifting goby.. does it have something like pink dots? if so, it is known as banded goby..[] mine breeded insided...[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Wah then I think your Purple tang will be whacked dead in 10 mins by your Scopas... (brown tang?) Cant remember their names liao... ****... Must go and revise my Marine Atlas hahaz...

Try rearing something like the regal tang or the powder family (if your water is good) and if you're feeling rich, get an Archilles... it's an absolutely gorgeous fish =)

Lastly, if you really would like the flame angel, be sure that you wont be adding another drawf angel to your system. Otherwise, you'll have to add them in at the same time.

I added my multicolour angel and my flame angel at the same time, but the multicolour just loves to chase the flame into some deep dark corner...

Well... aniwae, good luck =)

[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well.. my advice is to stay clear of those powder family.. the longest i heard that it stay alive in a tank was like ard 6-9 months.... the rest.. most of the time is like 3-6 months max.. they require the tip-top excellent water quality...not tolerant of changes in water parameters...anyway.. this is just my 2 cents worth.. some of us might differ...[]

Hi guys, saw this beautiful Archilles selling at $75 which is about 6 inches. Is it a good deal? Thanks

Beware of the archilles...

It can cause an epidemic in your tank... mine lasted 3 weeks before it succumed...

Gorgeous fish though =P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys, saw this beautiful Archilles selling at $75 which is about 6 inches. Is it a good deal? Thanks
    ----------------
    in short.. stay clear of those fishes that are similar in those shape i.e. powder blue, black, brown and Archilles... yes.. they are very nice.. but they usually dun have a good survivability record in the aquarium keeping.. []

i have not heard of anyone managed to keep that fish alive for more than 1 year

Feedback Score
    Hi guys, can tell me how much you bought your purple tang and where?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    seen quite a few purple tangs at Keong Seong on saturday... healthy too.. it is at Tiong Bahru.. should be ard $40-50 dollars.. depending on the season.. never really asked coz i already had one inside my tank..[] happy scouting..

Where is this shop at Tiong Bahru near to? Near the market? Just wondering if they sell any corals?

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    I think keong sang is in China town. No point go down there as the shop is kind of small. If you want more variety, we can go together to farmart near choa chu kang. I know the Boss there, may help to bargain for you but not gurantee. Just fix a date and time.....[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Keong Seong is at Tiong Bahru[]

Feedback Score
    er...tiong Bahru which part ? is it near MRT or the market ? or ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it is behind the Tiong Bahru plaza.. walk towards the Coffee Bean and behind it, there is this foot path.. follow it.. till u come to a junction.. cross it and walk straight.. till u see a police post... behind the police post, u will see a bank and it is along that stretch of shops.[]

Feedback Score
    I just went there this evening. Frankly speaking and don't wish to offend anyone, that place is dog **** [] So small and not much of variety. Not worth going there ! I should recommend Hong Leong or Farmmart or Lorong Halus (but too far for me) or reborn.....other than that I think they got no fight for this few places.[] But as I said, feel free to date me out for marine shop...ha ha