Country
    Singapore

Help to identify algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I have been battling this type of "algae" for some time. Currently just using my
    fingernails to remove it. It is very sticky and and quite unsightly. What exactly
    is it, why it appeared and any chemicals to remove it?

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Re: Help to identify algae

The black at the sides should be BBA Black Beard Algae. The green one on top looks cool man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

I've got a lot of that in my tank, so what is the best way to get rid of it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Seachem Excel overdose helps. Best dose direct on the rock when u drain your water until almost empty.
    But what fauna do you have?
    Main culprit these BBA thrives is CO2 lacking and poor water flow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

I'm pretty sure I have enough CO2 in the water and the water flow is quite strong (ie 2 x 2000l/hr filters + 1500 L/hr external filter). I'll try to find the seachem here and give it a go

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Guys,

Just an update. About two weeks ago I dipped this particular stone in a small tub of water, injected
    hydrogen peroxide on the BBA and left it overnight. The photo was taken a few days ago.
    As can be seen, the BBA is much lesser but the green top is gone.

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Turning pink is a sure sign of dead BBA. Looking at your foreground MC, I still believe your C02 injection is lacking.

I just cannot pinpoint why but MC should carpet and grow runners like this in my tank.
    20170418_101421.jpg
    Just to note that this section is the least illuminated part of my tank, being at the back corner.

I DIYed my own LED fixture and it's running 30-40% brightness after tinkering around to target around 50 lux using light meter. My tank is 2.5ft deep and depth from LED fixture to top gravel is about 2ft.

Too much lighting, GSA will flourish no matter how precise my EI dosing or PO4 I dump and frequent WC I did.

Also reduce lighting to 3 hrs morning and 3 hrs evening. Can also see the Rotala starting to grow horizontal rather than vertical.

If you believe your C02 injection already reach 30ppm, the next thing is to reduce lighting by dimming or photoperiod. Yes, up to a certain brightness, plants do grow well.

Too much or too long can be counter beneficial.

Based on personal experience, not scientific, pH swing cause by on/off cycle of CO2 can also trigger BBA infestation, IF, a big if the spores have already been in the tank.

Anyway, you must follow up with flourish excel extra dosing to eliminate the BBA spores. Just monitor your livestock.

Summary of what I'm trying to say is, C02 injection after a certain amount, is the max plants will take for photosynthesis to occur. Excess light also will not mean photosynthesis will go on overdrive.
    In fact any excesses will benefit the algae. So if your MC is unable to use these excesses, why not limit lighting if you think your CO2 is already reach healthy levels.
    Last edited by greenie; 18th Apr 2017 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the info, greenie. You are right, I also believe that
    CO2 is a bit on the low side. I am not currently using EI dosing method,
    just using drop checker to verify if there is enough CO2.

Actually this tank is a what I termed as a half reboot, it used to be filled
    with mc but due to over vigorous tank cleaning, my whole mc patch was
    gradually pulled off. I have removed the top soil and add new ADA soil.
    It is now about 3rd month since the partial reboot.

Will be look for floruish excel. Just curious, where did you obtain a light meter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The light meter I use is Seneye Reef.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help to identify algae

Melting MC may release alot of organic and invest bba to thrive.

Remove those rotten mc, cut and replant the green ones. Do WC more frequent for the next few weeks (2x a week), clean your filter, remove the bba as much as you can, they will be go away in hygiene tank.

Few times i had this scenario( though not as bad as your . Happens whenever i abandon the tank due to busy work and family focus oriented. Bba will disappear by it self when you do the due diligence.

I skipped peroxide or excel, as some of plants that i keep are too sensitive with those even i dose according to dosage.

Hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the tips, milk_vanilla. Good ideas to change water more often and cleaning the filter
    when there is BBA infestation.