Country
    Singapore

Shrimpy overturning!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

My wife sprayed mosquitoes insecticides in the master bedroom without closing the door. This is done without my knowledge and by the time I realized this, I quickly closed the door.

Upon closing the door, I rushed out to my shrimp tank in the living room and noticed that a few of the shrimps overturned and have difficulties swimming. The tank is about 5 metres from my bedroom.

May I check if this is the possible reason for the shrimps overturning or dying i.e. could insecticides spread this far?

Out for work now and unsure of the shrimps situation now. However, in the early morning prior to the spraying of the mosquitoes insecticides, have already taken out 4 dead shrimps likely dead due to the molting.

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimpy overturning!

Try put in Active Carbon asap, active carbon can absorb hope can salvage in time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes carbon would help & if possible a big change of water will help remove the harmful stuff from the water

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I guess it's not due to insecticide spray, especially its 5 meter away. Likely due to water parameter is not right for the schrimp, since casualty already happen before the spray. What kind of shrimp do you keep? What kind of your tank setup? How long have you keep the tank running? Does the shrimp dying only recently?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This is my new tank, been cycling for few wks using old filter medium. Water parameters ok, ammononia 0, nitrite 0, while nitrate is 10.

Have turned down the co2 to slightly lesser than 60 bpm for two ft tank.

On the fourth day upon adding the shrimps, have topped up the tank water due to evaporation since there is fan operating. However the water top up was lesser than 15% of the existing tank water, prime used. Next day the deaths started:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Might be ph/kh/temp and also, the acclimatization process not done properly. Shrimps are pretty sensitive

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Besides the above mention, shrimp health condition upon purchase can also contribute to what you have observed. Did you bought the shrimp in prepack form or you hand pick them? Also what kind of shrimp you are keeping? Some shrimp species (like cardinal red shrimp) are very sensitive to water parameter and conditions than the other.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Younglim

The acclimatization was via long process of dripping over more than 5 hrs and shrimps were doing well for the first few days till the water change or insecticides spraying.

Hi Dreamer

Prepacked Malayan shrimps, in not too bad condition.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't have experiene in keeping malayan shrimp. So can't comment much further. But frm the web, the suggested ph is 7.8-8.0, you may want to check the ph of your tank water.
    Another thing to note when purchase shrimp in prepack form, the shrimps could have been weaken over the time in the bag. So the shrimp may not able to fight when introduce to another water condition. This has been observed by a few bro in this forum, including myself. So some bro prefer to hand pick the shrimp in the tank although the price could be more expensive.