Country
    Singapore

Question partial cloudy water, need advise

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,
    I just bought a 2ft tank and a brand new eheim 2213 250 filter. I filled up the tank with 7 3.5cm gold fish. Since its a brand new tank, I have to use tap water to fill up the canister. I did add fish rot treatment cause 1 of the fish has a strange spots at its fin n scales.

After 2 days, the water looks partial cloudy. Is there something wrong? did the media die off?

Please advise.I still thinking whether i should change to a new media or i should get a sub filter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: partial cloudy water, need advise

You did exactly what you are NOT supposed to do. New filter doesnt contain any beneficial bacteria. So dont worry about it.

First thing you have to do is find a safe home for you gold fish, they will soon die one by one if you continue.

Second thing you google and read about nitrogen cycle.

Lastly, 2 months of your patience to save some fish and your hobby.

You either return the fish to fish store you bought or give away free if you really care them. Gold fish are poop machines, and definitely not for new tanks.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

your advise is to quit just like that? nothing to improve on? thats just sad coming from a regular

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am not suggesting you to quit....I am asking you to read the nitrogen cycle first to save fish and save your new hobby...

When you read about nitrogen cycle you will understand.

Act quickly and find them a new house asap

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh. Sorry if I misunderstood u. Thank you. I just watched a video of it.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Read more about nitrogen cycle, understand it and dont fall prey for LFS sales gimmics to buy unnecessary products with little or no effect on nitrogen cycle.

Now you know the reason so find a safe home for your fish and dont ever think of adding so many gold fish at once even to your cycled tank after 2 months...

You like it or not, if you want to stay with the hobby for long enough to enjoy, you have to follow the basics in first few months.

Your success depends on your patience in first two months

Dont expect many replies from the members, as this is the most common mistake the new hobbyist makes and all the senior memebers might have tired of replying such threads, you are not alone.

Cheers and good luck...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Advice for new hobbyists.

Before you start keeping any live fish in your new tank, you first need to raise a colony of bacteria in your tank and tank filter. Most people like to use cheem-cheem terms like "cycle" or "nitrogen". But beginners are easily confused or overwhelmed by such " cheemology". It's really all about raising a huge colony of good bacteria. The bacteria is what keeps the tank water clear and habitable for fish. The more bacteria you cultivate in your tank and inside your filter, the more fish it can hold without the water fouling much. The important thing to note is that cultivating good bacteria in a new tank takes time, and this is where most beginners fail. They skip this important stage and are too eager to put a lot of new fish into the tank. And even after the bacteria is cultivated, they often unknowingly kill off the valuable and fragile bacteria by adding chemicals into the tank, thus creating all sorts of complications and problems. If you ask me, the most important creatures in a tank are the bacteria. They should be looked after as precious tank mates.

Remember this and you would have gained superb insight.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 8th Apr 2017 at 17:00.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you. Didn't know about that part. All Ive been reading previously is all just maintaining a clean water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by starterpack View Post
    Thank you. Didn't know about that part. All Ive been reading previously is all just maintaining a clean water.

Since you have already bought your fish, you can try keeping them for the time being in another container of aged water, but not new tap water because clean tap water will kill the fishes soon. You make aged water by keeping a lot of tap water at least for a couple of days to let the chlorine dissipate much. In my experience with goldfish and other fishes, this aged water is good enough to keep the fish well without adding any chemicals. Do daily 100% water changes with aged water. For goldfish, it is necessary to suck up any poo at the bottom, so you need to keep watch as they poo and poo like nobody's business when fed too much.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!