Country
    Singapore

Shrimps keep dying

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I recently got into this problem as per title.

Firstly i'll start by stating the tank is a 10g and has been properly established, it was from my guppy fry grow out tank for 3months, about 50+ of them and now i shifted them to a bigger tank. So the 10g was sitting stockless and the next day i restocked the 10g with 2 bags of sakura labeled SKL and another just normal, not sure what the acronyms mean but it was 5 big mamas and 1 bag of sakuras. And also 1 bag of the 50 rcs my sister bought for me.

After drip aclimating them for 2 and a half hours, they are in and putting azoo vita plus and crs haven mineral max. After 3 days, there were tons of molted shell, so i thought it was okay and i was happy. I feed them spirulina tablets&powder form, and hikari algae wafer. But on the 4th day, one shrimp died. And there were tons molted shells too, again.

And everything slowly went downhill. Every morning i wake up and see dead shrimps, and its the 2nd week i had them and now probably i can count about 15 left? 8 big red sakuras died and i was bumped about that.

Things to note:
    I researched online and i tried using ntuc pure drinking water, supposed to be safe from what i researched, for water top up daily because i have a fan.
    I don't have any test kits because meh
    Tank temp is around 27.5c with fan.
    I also bought samples of ebi breed , sl aqua food, mk breed cheesebhrger. They don't even get attracted to it. Only get attracted to hikari algae but lately they don't seem to eat it anymore. I remove it after it sit in tank untouched after 4 hours.

Can anybody help in figuring out whats the problem because i can't figure out hmmm. Thanks.
    As of now, im on a hiatus from getting anymore shrimps till i rectify what the problem is.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: Shrimps keep dying

It's been a month but let me guess, you still have a few of your original shrimp left? I think it could have been a case of too many too soon, overloading the filter and getting an ammonia spike. As the shrimp died and got thrown out your ammonia would naturally decrease, being converted to nitrites then nitrates. Would have been interesting to measure the ammonia at the time of the die off. If any survived, they might be ok now that your tank has (hopefully) cycled.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

First of all, what is your water parameter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This sounds familiar with me. The first things you need to check is the water PH. My guppies and neon Tetra was living happily in it but not my shrimps. Try to dump in a snail for water test. They are the most sensitive to water parameters and will be the first one to leave the water. For my case, I killed a lot of snails and shrimps before I found that my water PH had drop to 6.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@kingelliot @pym @dscheng
    Hey guys thanks for the concern! Well after im left with about 7 shrimps? I just shut down the tank and moved them to my other tank. Then for that 10g i turned it into a simple planted java ferns tanks for clown killis and malayan shrimps + rcs.
    Its been running for 3 weeks+ and it seems fine as my killifish are already breeding with eggs at the roots of the java fern shoots.

The thing i did was i added killifishes only for the first week. When setting up i used api quick start and pray it works. Which my prayer was answered la. I also used a sponge filter from my other tank and squeezed all the brown gunk into this 10g and let my h300 hob and sponge filter clear the water then add the killis. Then roughly on the 2nd week i added malayan shrimps so i can just feed carelessly for the killifishes because im too lazy to just wait and single feed these killifishes. Till this date, i only saw 1 dead shrimp, which i saw it die from being eaten to death by other shrimps. HAHA. Because i bought it in 100qty bags.

Then just yesterday i bought a packet of fire reds, cause i saw from compatability malayans dont interbreed with them right? Also cause i missed my red shrimps that died huuu but now im more confident ah in shrimp/killifish keeping. Just scared my shrimp will eat eggs of killifish. Which is very possible huu

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk