Country
    Singapore

Advice for shrimp tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone
    I need some special advice from anybody here as I'm interested in shrimp tank.
    I intend to keep maybe around 5 red cherry shrimp in a 5g tank. I got myself some diftwoods, some java moss, a java fern, a hilding space for rcs to hide/breed, a sponge filter and also a pack of ada Amazonia substrate.
    I'm not sure am I ready to go yet.
    I heard there's some powder that works on boosting the bacteria or the health of the shrimp.
    Anyway my water already established for 5mths. Previously I kept a Betta and a oto.
    I really need some advice as I don't want any innocent dead shrimp lying around.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Advice for shrimp tank

hi bro!

welcome to shrimp keeping! I am relatively new to the hobby as well so I would try my best to explain and share what I had learnt so far and also from others.

5 red cherry shrimps in 1ft tank seems ok. but just that most will advise you to get a 10 gallon tank instead allowing you house more shrimps. higher volume will also deter any swings in water parameters improving their mortality!

that being said, myself and some other started out shrimp keeping with a 1ft tank as well =))

woods and moss and sponge filters are great for a shrimp tank you can't go wrong with them. but as for your substrate choice, you might want to consider an inert substrate like sand. active subsrate like ada amazonia buffer down your ph value (mine was 6.2). while rcs neocaridina prefers neutral to alkaline water. at the same time it leeches out ammonia during your cycling, resulting in longer cycling period needed. since you are not using any plants that needs to be planted into the soil thus I think using inert substrate like sand will save time and simplify things for you.

I didn't use those powder to start my tank too. I jus used liquid form of beneficial bacteria to start my cycle =) what I heard is powder form takes a longer time to get things going. since they are in a dormant form as powder, they dun work as fast as bacteria in as liquid form. but perhaps they are more efficient than using liquid bacteria in the long run? I'm not sure.

just sharing what I learnt so far. hope to hear what other experts here have to say! hee

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Thanks for your advice and really appreciate it.

Since i just starting up a shrimp tank. i will go on with 1ft tank first and as time or population increase i will change to a larger tank. May i know what is the maximum population for rcs in a 1ft tank?

As for the substrate, since you recommended the inert substrate like sand. which product do you suggest?
    Also, i will be using the same tank where my betta and oto are living in currently and the water has already well establish for 5 months. can i say that the water is well grow with beneficial bacteria? of course i wont keep my betta with the shrimp. My betta definitely will shift it to other tank.

Thank You.
    Last edited by LlnknownLlser; 10th Apr 2017 at 23:41.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, I just setup a new nano shrimp tank too, planning to keep cherry shrimps.... kind of lost w tank cycling at the moment. Looking to get Tetra safestart plus to help w cycling...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi TTerry!
    did you have any live plants, diftwoods/hiding spot and substrate in the tank??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi buddy,

yes. initially i wanted to get gex red packet soil, but the LFS guy recommended me HELP advanced soil for shrimp, so i took it as i dont intend to have high tech plants and its much cheaper. My live plants mainly mini nana and moss (all low tech). This is my pic i took when it first setup. My hiding tube much smaller but not in this pic.... and i intend to add media filtration and get 1 Christmas moss. I uses some bacter crystal before adding soil, read about minerax too, but i dont see anyone mention about it with cherry shrimp....

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LlnknownLlser View Post
    Hello everyone
    I need some special advice from anybody here as I'm interested in shrimp tank.
    I intend to keep maybe around 5 red cherry shrimp in a 5g tank. I got myself some diftwoods, some java moss, a java fern, a hilding space for rcs to hide/breed, a sponge filter and also a pack of ada Amazonia substrate.
    I'm not sure am I ready to go yet.
    I heard there's some powder that works on boosting the bacteria or the health of the shrimp.
    Anyway my water already established for 5mths. Previously I kept a Betta and a oto.
    I really need some advice as I don't want any innocent dead shrimp lying around.

Thank you.
    Hello, LlnknownLlser

Are you planning to set up a totally new tank with the items you listed above or are you converting an existing tank (that has been established for five months)?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Hey bud,

Seems like you're ready to run a shrimp tank.

Here's a few pointers for red cherry shrimp care:
    PH: 6.4 - 7.6
    KH: 0 - 10
    GH: 4 - 14
    TDS: 80 - 200
    Water temp: 18 - 23 degrees celsius / 65 - 73 degrees celsius
    Nitrates/nitrites/ammonia : 0 (I recommend running purigen as a filter media if possible!)

These shrimp are more on the hardy side. For substrate I recommend using Fluval plant and shrimp stratum, this will buffer your pH to 6.5 to 7.0 which is well in the pH for red cherry shrimp. Also I recommend using running at least a 10g tank, your water will be much more stable.

Also if you'd like, feel free to check out this guide: How to setup a shrimp tank