Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: New nano shrimp tank

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    New nano shrimp tank

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Hi everyone

    I just setup a new nano shrimp tank for a day, planning to keep 10x cherry shrimps.... kind of lost w tank cycling at the moment. Currently im using my betta fish's waste to cycle, i wondering if it works? i read the forum and youtube regarding Tetra safestart plus, planning to get it to help w cycling but so far no luck w afew lfs...


    My tank setup


    Tank 47cm*27cm*30CM

    H.E.L.P advanced shrimp soil (added some borneo wild baker crystal before adding soil)

    2x baby sponge filter (planning to add biomedia filtration too)

    plants-
    mini moss balls and 2x wood with mini nana (dont know what wood is that) bought from nanyang seaview, planning to add some christmas moss.

    and some hiding tubes.


    Now left with tank cycling...



    Would appreciate all advises. Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Hello! Not really a expert but with what you have, I don't think you don't need to worry too much about water cycling. Betta waste should be ok..

    When I started, I just let the new water run for about 5 days before adding the cherry shrimps. No additional stuff/chemicals. Just plants(Nana), soil, moss ball and some fish waste. That's it.

    Cherry Shrimps are relatively hardy so not to worry


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Good info! Thanks a lot bro. May I check is 5 days enough to establish filter beneficial bacteria?
    Last edited by TTerry; 12th Apr 2017 at 00:10. Reason: Haven't finish typing

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    I don't think Tetra Safe Start is available in Singapore.
    You mentioned about having a Betta?
    You can either put one of the baby sponge filter into the Betta's tank to inoculate it with a starter culture of bacteria or else bring the betta over to the shrimp tank for a few weeks.
    You will require Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test kits. The ammonia and nitrite will rise then fall off to zero and the nitrate will keep rising. When that happens, your tank is cycled.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Ic... no wonder cannot find safestart. Thx for info.

    My betta tanks only 2 months old max. And i did a big mistake, by changing the DIY filter to sponge filter recently... and I don't want the betta fish to repeat the cycling again.... So I borrowed some plants w wood from these tanks to seed the new tank. Does this help too?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    76
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    I think my colleague had safestart leh


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by TTerry View Post
    Good info! Thanks a lot bro. May I check is 5 days enough to establish filter beneficial bacteria?
    I would think 5 days should be enough


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Ok thx buddy.

    Today is 4th day

    I tested my water. My PH dropped from 7.2 to yesterday 6.8, today 6.5.... (I added more water and raised it to 6.

    Ammonia 1-2.. can't really differential the color...

    Nitrite 1

    Nitrate 40

    Maybe my seeding does some help

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Ok thx buddy.

    Today is 4th day

    I tested my water. My PH dropped from 7.2 to yesterday 6.8, today 6.5.... (I added more water and raised it to 6.

    Ammonia 1-2.. can't really differential the color...

    Nitrite 1

    Nitrate 40

    Maybe my seeding dohel

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Hi, i read that 30 degree is the max for red cherry shrimp, optimally 25 - 27, and they are better at breeding at higher temperature around 27 degree, anyone uses any cooling system for red cherry? My tank's temperature range of 28.5 - 29.
    Last edited by TTerry; 20th Apr 2017 at 15:06.

  11. #11

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by TTerry View Post
    Hi everyone

    I just setup a new nano shrimp tank for a day, planning to keep 10x cherry shrimps.... kind of lost w tank cycling at the moment. Currently im using my betta fish's waste to cycle, i wondering if it works? i read the forum and youtube regarding Tetra safestart plus, planning to get it to help w cycling but so far no luck w afew lfs...


    My tank setup


    Tank 47cm*27cm*30CM

    H.E.L.P advanced shrimp soil (added some borneo wild baker crystal before adding soil)

    2x baby sponge filter (planning to add biomedia filtration too)

    plants-
    mini moss balls and 2x wood with mini nana (dont know what wood is that) bought from nanyang seaview, planning to add some christmas moss.

    and some hiding tubes.


    Now left with tank cycling...



    Would appreciate all advises. Thanks in advance
    Hello, TTerry

    Nice to know that you're aware of cycling your tank before adding any shrimps. It's also good that you are able to tell us your water quality which means you're using a test kit.

    You're actually using an active soil so you shouldn't need to add anything to cycle the tank. You can see that your tank cycle is already progressing by the presence of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

    It may take longer than expected for the cycle to complete, so be patient. Do wait for the ammonia and nitrite to be zero for the tank to be fully cycled.

    Even if the tank is cycled, it will also be a good idea to wait a little longer for everything to be stable and biofilm to grow for your new shrimps.

    No need to worry much about your tank temperature because there are guys here breeding cherry shrimps with a tank temperature higher than yours.

    All the best!
    My Current Journals: Nano Shrimp Tank | Nano Iwagumi Tank

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Hi Wan,

    Thanks for the advises and assurances. This is my first time using active substrate and doing tank cycling.... My concern now is my water Ph, it dropped to lowest of 6 few days back, yesterday ph measurement at 6.2/6.3.

    i had been throwing in small amount of crashed pallets and my betta's waste as sources of ammonia daily, now my substrate look horrible.. no eye see man.... My tank's ammonia currently at 0.25, color seem to be slowly getting lighter towards zero, nitrite at 0.5, but i dont seem to get any ammonia nor nitrite spike as what i read online.. Will do my first partial water change on my 3rd week.


    Thanks bro

  13. #13

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by TTerry View Post
    Hi Wan,

    Thanks for the advises and assurances. This is my first time using active substrate and doing tank cycling.... My concern now is my water Ph, it dropped to lowest of 6 few days back, yesterday ph measurement at 6.2/6.3.

    i had been throwing in small amount of crashed pallets and my betta's waste as sources of ammonia daily, now my substrate look horrible.. no eye see man.... My tank's ammonia currently at 0.25, color seem to be slowly getting lighter towards zero, nitrite at 0.5, but i dont seem to get any ammonia nor nitrite spike as what i read online.. Will do my first partial water change on my 3rd week.


    Thanks bro
    Actually, what pH value are you trying to achieve, TTerry?

    With active soil, it will buffer your water's pH to below 7. For this particular brand that you're using, if I remember correctly, it will always be around pH 6.5.

    Like I mentioned earlier also, you don't need to put anything as a source of ammonia. It may even prolong your tank cycling phase.

    The active soil you're using is already leeching ammonia, so you'll just have to wait for your tank to be cycled.
    My Current Journals: Nano Shrimp Tank | Nano Iwagumi Tank

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Ph 6.5 would be good, yesterday tested 5.9.... hopefuly due to those decay food in there. Worry if nitrogen cycle will be affected at current low PH. Today is my 14th days of cycle. Ammonia looked promising, getting more yellowish! Once zero, i will do water change.

    I read that just shrimp soil have v little nutrient and ammonia to start tank cycling unlike the those plant and shrimp soil. And i also want to feed the beneficial bac small amount of nutritious food, hopefully they can establish faster.

  15. #15

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by TTerry View Post
    Ph 6.5 would be good, yesterday tested 5.9.... hopefuly due to those decay food in there. Worry if nitrogen cycle will be affected at current low PH. Today is my 14th days of cycle. Ammonia looked promising, getting more yellowish! Once zero, i will do water change.

    I read that just shrimp soil have v little nutrient and ammonia to start tank cycling unlike the those plant and shrimp soil. And i also want to feed the beneficial bac small amount of nutritious food, hopefully they can establish faster.
    Alright then. I hope it works out for you.

    Do post updates with photos when you get your shrimps.

    Good luck!
    My Current Journals: Nano Shrimp Tank | Nano Iwagumi Tank

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Hi Wan,

    Good news for me, guessed im done with tank cycling. Bad news, i need to get rid of my tank planaria, probably from my fish food.



    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    anyone knows where can i buy moss subwassertang/ round pellia?

  18. #18

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by TTerry View Post
    Hi Wan,

    Good news for me, guessed im done with tank cycling. Bad news, i need to get rid of my tank planaria, probably from my fish food.
    That's very unfortunate, TTerry.

    Well, since you have no shrimps in your tank yet, you could take drastic measures to eradicate or at least reduce their population.

    Just don't go too drastic if you want to keep the beneficial bacteria that you have built up in your filter and etc.

    All the best!
    My Current Journals: Nano Shrimp Tank | Nano Iwagumi Tank

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Hi Wan,

    I bought "No planaria", yesterday added first dose. If it works, i will do massive water change and let it settle for couple days before adding shrimps =)

  20. #20

    Re: New nano shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by TTerry View Post
    Hi Wan,

    I bought "No planaria", yesterday added first dose. If it works, i will do massive water change and let it settle for couple days before adding shrimps =)
    Oh, wow! Straight away chemical warfare.

    Do let us know how it worked out for you, alright?

    Cheers!
    My Current Journals: Nano Shrimp Tank | Nano Iwagumi Tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •