Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: OASE Canister Filter ~ the best canister filter?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

OASE Canister Filter ~ the best canister filter?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

I happened to come across this filter on Youtube and thought i'd share it here and hopefully create some awareness on this great filter. IMHO this could probably be THE best canister filter in the market. What i really like about this filter is that the Pre-filter compartment can be removed and cleaned separately without having to open up the whole filter head, making filter maintenance a breeze.

I did a comparison on the similarly spec Eheim classic, Experience and Ecco filters and it's much better in terms of specs and media volume and the best part is, it is also a German brand. By the way do note that the Max Pump Head or Head Height is lower/shorter than the Eheim. You can buy this at East Ocean Aquatic Concept at Havelock Road or you can visit their website at http://www.eastoceansg.com

This is another good filter option for those of you looking for a filter.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: OASE Canister Filter ~ the best canister filter?

I just installed one at my workplace two days ago. Yes, quite innovative features. Even have a few safety features to prevent accidentally opening the clamps and removable pre-filter. But I'm not impressed with the flow rate. We got the BioMaster 600, which is supposed to be 1250 l/h, but I can hardly feel the flow. Could be due to the inline CO2 reactor, but I don't think a reactor should cut flow that much... going to see how it goes first.

Also, our unit leaks water when pressing the priming pump... not sure why. Does not leak when it is operating. Going to ask East Ocean about that.

It is also relatively more complicated to use. Must read the manual to use it properly. Can't just plug & play. Once you read the manual, it is easy. Just not something most people can figure out, out of the box. Given that there are some people here who have broken the Eheim Ecco series handles before, I won't be surprised someone breaks these because they didn't RTFM.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Vinz ~ I'm sure a person with your years of fish keeping experience would surely know that the priming pump shouldn't leak when it's pumped right?
    When looking at the way the water travels through the filter from the video, it's not surprising why they gave a larger pump head of 1250l/h for a tank size of 600l. But to say that you could hardly feel the flow, is quite disappointing. Maybe the default prefilter foams comes in the finer porosity ones, causing the slowdown in flowrate? The angular shaped inlet & outlet pipes may also play a small part though it's quite unlikely. You mentioned that the filter is connected to a CO2 reactor, meaning the outlet pipes would be longer which means that there is a possibility that the "Max Head Height" of the filter is exceeded causing it to struggle in pushing water out into the tank? BTW the "Max Head Height" is much shorter as compared to Eheim. Or maybe it's a combination of all the factors i mentioned?

This filter has everything that we fish keepers would want in an ideal filter. They even have an extended spray bar and another outlet nozzle of sorts that is able to rotate how you want the water to flow out/back into the tank thrown in for good measure.
    Anyway do keep us updated and maybe do a review of your experience using and maintaining it a few months down the road.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nothing should leak if it's operating properly. It doesn't leak out from the sides, but from some holes at the priming pump and removable pre-filter assembly. I'm going to ask East Ocean whether they know what could be wrong... maybe something we didn't install correctly or maybe something broke. It doesn't leak otherwise, so we kept it running.

The length of hoses has negligible effect on the head. The main thing that matters with head is the actual height of the outlet with respect to the pump. Actually, when both the inlet and outlet are submerged in the same body of water, the head is negated.

Anyway, it has lots of great features. It is definitely well worth considering.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'll probably muck a round with the outlets a bit to see if something is restricting the flow. Unfortunately, its in an area that is inconvenient to get wet, so limits things I can do. Plus its my work place... can't spend too much time mucking in it.

Last edited by vinz; 7th Apr 2017 at 09:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Awesome service from East Ocean. When my colleague got them to visit for the filter leak, they also checked out the flow because of my post above. They have been responsive all the while, even before this and have not disappointed. Issues dealt with satisfactorily. Service is always friendly and professional.

Anyway, before they came down I discovered the adjustable valves on the inlets and outlets at the tank end (another nice-to-have feature on this Oase series) which were at 3/4 open only. I've open them to max, but flow is still not what I expected but seems adequate. Might just be my own expectations, though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

not bad i like the design for it to prime it for u. Usually i use my mouth with the other filters, much more hygenic

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Vinz what is the cost for the biomaster 600?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I bought biomaster 250 recently, when recce around found the price is standard almost everywhere

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AQMS View Post
    Vinz what is the cost for the biomaster 600?
    On East Ocean Webstore, its a little over S$400.

The one I mentioned was bought as part of a package by my workplace, so the price there would not be the same as retail.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, the concept and user-friendly features really does ease water changes.

Hey Vinz, isit possible to show pictures of your set up?