Country
    Singapore

Need help with algae on Bucep

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2.5ft long but narrow tank. Tank has been doing ok for more than 1 year. However, recently i notice the algae problem is growing on my bucep and some on the carpet area. Looks whitish like molding. Can anyone give me some advise. Is my light too strong? My uncle gave me a DIY chiller, working ok but temp range fluctuating from 23-26 (is this ok?).

Alan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need help with algae on Bucep

sorry, dont know why i can't post the pic .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The water flow is not strong enough to agitate the algae... the white stuff u mentioned should be mould rather than algae...

Usually it occurs when photo period is too long, nutrients not able to be intake by the intended plant.

By such assumptions, there should be little to no algae control crew. Add in some red nose shrimp, snails and ur tank should be crystal clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, my flow is not strong enough i think... Plus maybe too much nutrient or light. Just spoke to another kaki, he told me likely is the beginning stage of BBA. I just started Blackout yesterday. Intend to do a 2 days Blackout... maybe after that will take out the Bucep to clean and treat with flourish Excel. Can anyone advise what is the proper way to treat ? Don't want to over do it and kill the plant. Thanks Thanks....

alan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What are the funa? Fish? Shrimp?

It is always better to use natural way to solve any problem. Chemical only if it is out of control and btw, excel is co2, which is not the right thing to use to eliminate bba

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Only Scrimps and plants. Someone told me flourish Excel can do the magic.. is there any other better way to get rid of them....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If that is the case, add nerite snail.

The right bba control are anti-bba solutions from API (prevent algae), tetra (fountain). Of course there are many more brands you can choose.

By dosing excel, with the right amount of other nutrients, you will achieve green water

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks thanks....maybe i will just add some snails and yamato to try out first...

Feedback Score
    Images

Some use excel for algae spot treatment. Turn off filter, use syringe to inject to affected leaves, leave it awhile before on the filter back. I never try it myself though. Agree that yamato shrimp very effective algae cleaning, just make sure you don't have large fishes that will munch on them.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks.. i only have scrimps,, no fishes.. so should be safe....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

alanysw, without pictures not much we can help to advice. BBA is black, not white, hence Black Beard Algae.

genki89, it is kind of misinformation on your part to suggest Seachem Excel with right amount of nutrient, can create green water. It seem you are suggestion the Excel solution, which is glutaraldehyde, can induce green water.

Glutaraldehyde, in layman's term, once pour in tank is merely "carbon and water" that will dissipates after 24hours,unlike those chemicals you suggested that will remain and may accumulate in tank until remove by chemical filtration or water changes.

alanysw, Seachem Excel is not a magic solution for removing BBA. It's main use is as a carbon source for aquatic plants. But if used in such a way, can help remove as much BBA as possible. But BBA will return if you do not find the reason for the BBA outbreak in the first place. This how I do it for my bout of BBA.

1. Drain tank water as much as possible, preferably until the affected plant is above water. As such, you are required to stop your filter or circulating pump.
    2. Add some Excel in a handheld water spray and directly spray on the affected leaves. Usually I spray the whole tank, example rocks and such.
    3. Wait 1-2min before quick filling up your tank and run your filters.

You should see BBA turn red and then white within minutes to a day. Do note, shrimps will die in high dose. I will usually aerate the tank with an airstone for 24hrs after treatment.

The main issue about BBA infestation is your poor quarantine with regards with putting in new plants bought from store. I practice quarantine a new plant in a separate place, treating with Paraguard, anti algae chemicals and Excel for up to a week before planting it in my tank. A bit of tedious, but save me from having to battle any future outbreak.

Water from any aquarium shop is a source of parasite and algae. Anyway, without an image of the algae, it might not be BBA, so the treatment I describe might not be useful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, excel treatment may kill off the newer softer leaves of the buce

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just a update, i have remove all the bucep in the tank. Black out for 3 days in a pail. Thereafter, i use 2 methods to treat the BBA.

1st batch : Treat with Excel and soak in clean water with Prime solution .

2nd Batch : Bleach dipping (1:20) solution. Dip for about 30 sec and use my finger to rub the leave and affected area. Thereafter, soak in clean water with Prime solution

both batches soak in water for few days. Now still soaking. Intend to keep them in the pail and change water regular maybe for 1 week.. just to make sure they are clean and free of any bleach solution. I felt the bleach dipping is more effective. Almost instantly the BBA are all gone.... But was told to really make sure make sure the bleach are throughout clean before putting back into the tank again.

Thanks again.

alan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bleach can be quickly and effectively removed by anti chlorine, the same one for aquarium use to remove chlorine from tap water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bleach dip works but need to be mindful of the duration of dip and concentration used. Also it is advised not to dip the plant roots. Bleach dip requires you to remove the affected plant and treat it in a separate place.

Excel overdosing can be done in tank, destroying free floating BBA spores. But some fauna and flora cannot tolerate if too much. Most fishes and plants does fine. Shrimp not so.

Doing blackouts does not have an impact on bba for me. Using Excel or bleach treatment already destroy those bba so blackouts are not necessary.

Again, if you have pictures of the algae, it's useful for us.

Checkout this link to identify your algae :

Algae Identification
    Last edited by greenie; 2nd May 2017 at 10:34.